[Archive] Brush Slave League - Official Rules (season 2)

clam:

T H E   O F F I C I A L   B R U S H   S L A V E   L E A G U E   R U L E S

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Participants

All members of CDO can enter the league by sending in a first team within an announced league start deadline. Should anyone like to enter after first round, they are free to do so �?" again within the announced round deadline.

Participants should only take part if they are comfortable with the following rules:

Duration

The league will run for 8 rounds on a monthly basis. Each round and it deadlines will be announced in the Brush Slave sub-forums.

Entries

Participants will enter by sending pictures of their �?~teams�?T.

A “team” consists of at least 3 painted humanoid figures (incl. dreadnoughts, Iron golems, War jacks, Cyborgs, Robots etc), but more can be included if you wish.

War machines (in a broad sense) can be included in the team, but

don�?Tt count towards the required minimum number of team members.

The �?~team�?T must follow a single, distinct theme. So you can�?Tt do a Skaven ratman joined by a Space Marine and Alexander the Great.

All figures should look like appropriated gaming miniatures - but can be of any common miniature scale, genre, manufacturer etc.

Your entry should be presented in a �?~group shot�?T of the team.

Use of a scenic setting is allowed but NOT required �?" it�?Ts the figures that count.

All miniatures have to be newly painted �?" or at least not shown on-line before (on the internet). Pictures might be shared elsewhere 5 days after the public poll has been posted.

How to enter

All entries must be:

- sent as a Personal Message (PM) to �?oclam�?� with an URL that links to your entry

or

- sent as an email to brushslaveleague (a t)   g m a i l   dot   c o m with an URL that links to your entry or have your entry (pictures) attached.

Your entry must meet a previously specified deadline - namely 11:59 pm (GMT) the day before the round starts.

Your entry message shall also include a team name/a team title. What name is up to you �?" but could be a name that supports your “team�?Ts theme”.

Each entry should consist of �?" up till two images - not exceeding 800x800 pixels per picture.

All competitors must resize their own images before submitting them so they can be uploaded straight into the competition pages without any work in photoshop by me. Your images can be smaller than this if you like - but not bigger. If you don�?Tt know how to resize images, please ask someone before the competition gets underway.

Photos can be edited through picture editing software, and it�?Ts allowed to paste/insert thumbnails, small text etc �?" as long as the team �?ostays in focus�?� and it doesn’t look like an advertisement. Therefore, it can not be allowed that you insert any logos, brands/company names, web-addresses, usernames, twitter/FB handles etc.

By entering you accept that your copyrighted work can be hosted on a shared - but private - Brush Slave photo album at a free picture hosting site (aka clam�?Ts Photobucket account)

Painting

All figures must be completely painted, and all bases must be �?ofinished�?� (there are no basing standard, though).

ONLY pictures of finished models are accepted. �?~Work in progress�?T (WIP) shots are NOT allowed in you final entry, but feel free to post them in other sections of CDO after your team has been made public.

I won�?Tt make rules for what�?Ts �?opainted�?� and what�?Ts not (3 colours etc.), as we all know what a painted miniature looks like. If in doubt, paint it some more

Scale

There are no scale restrictions - but the figure should look like a gaming miniature and the scale should be consistent within the team. Not that you can�?Tt do an Ogre and a halfling on the same team, though.

League Points Table

We�?Tll keep it all open and run a public League Table, of course. End of round 8 we’ll have an overall winner. In case of a tie the placing is determined by 1) numbers of new teams, 2) won matches, 3) vote difference.  Still a tie we’ll roll a d6.

There will be a small prize for the winner of the league (worth £20-ish unless we find a sponsor, of course). Prizes will be announced close to season end.

Match ups

In each round, a number of matches will be held. In each match, two pre-determined participants (randomly) will face each other. The winner will be determined by public voting (a Poll). Duration of voting will be 7 days.

The poll will include team name and name of the coach (CDO username) and present the picture(s) of the team.

The match up will be random, but I’ll make a system so you’ll only face the same opponent one time in the season

Should we have an un-even number of participants in a round �?" a single match will see 3 opponents facing each other.

There are three ways of earning points for the Brush Slave League:

1.   Points for winning and drawing a match

2.   New team bonus points  

3.   Theme round bonus point

1. Points for winning and drawing a match

If the difference between overall votes cast for either competitor is less than 3, the match is considered a draw and both/all three participants receive 1 point each.

If the difference between votes is 3 or more, the �?owinner�?� will be rewarded with 3 points and the opponent won�?Tt get any points.  In a 3 opponent match it will be 3 points for winning, 1 point for coming 2nd and 0 points for coming 3th.

A draw between two participants in a 3 opponent match will �?" if shared 1st - be rewarded with 2 points, and if shared 2nd - 1 point.

It�?Ts not a knock-out system, so losing a round will NOT mean you have to leave the league, just a drop in the league table

2. New Team Bonus

It�?Ts perfectly acceptable to use one team for the whole season, although that�?Ts not really in the spirit of the league. We want to see newly painted miniatures and we want you to lower that lead pile of yours.

So, you do NOT have to enter a new team in each round after entering the league, but you are most ENCOURAGED to do so.

Your team will automatically be carried forward to the next round if it�?Ts not replaced within the deadline.

You may compete the entire season with your first entry �?" but you will be rewarded 3 bonus points for every round in which you enter a newly painted team.

In your first round no bonus points will be earned for entering a team (because everyone will have to enter a new team at the start of the League), but after your first team is in, bonus points will be awarded for every newly painted team.

You may do touch ups on or re-paint an already painted team and you may also enter new photos - but it will not be considered “a new team” and will not qualify for “the new team bonus”.

You may also choose to re-enter an earlier entered team by sending it in again, but it will �?" again �?" not qualify for the bonus.

3. Theme Rounds Bonuses

Two of the 8 rounds will be �?~theme bonus rounds�?T, in which participants may enter a new team that follows a pre-determined theme. The theme will be announced in the open round announcement. If the team meets the theme, you will be awarded a special point bonus (+ the bonus of a entering a new team). What bonus points can be earned will appear from the round opening announcements.

If the themed bonus round is your first round, you�?Tll only be rewarded for �?omeeting the theme�?� special bonus, of course.

Should you decide not following the pre-determined theme but still enter a new team, you will �?" of course �?" get the normal �?onew team bonus�?�.

Withdrawals

Once you’ve entered a team and the competition is running, withdrawal from the league part-way through is not permitted. If you decide you no longer want to take an active part (by entering new teams, for instance), that’s entirely your decision. But your most recently entered team will still carry on being matched in any remaining rounds of the league. Alternatively, you can nominate one of your earlier teams to see out the rest of the competition.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

clam:

Nothing really changed that we haven’t talked about, but let me high light the small differences:

1) No official signing up, but would still like to hear if you will enter or not

2) A few more details about pictures are added

3) Voting will run for 7 days

4) Point system is changed to 3-1-0, but will evaluate mid-way to see if it has the wanted effect.

5) The themed rounds will be a surprise till the official round opening. Bonus points will also be kept a secret.

And I still plan to start Season 2 on December 1st 2012 (deadline for first team will be 30th November 2012) - unless all regular participants tells me something different, of course :wink:

Bolg:

Looking forward to season 2!

Burske:

Yeah, it should be another great year!

Burske

Hashut’s Blessing:

I may enter into this this time around. That being said, I won’t actually have anything to get on with until the 4th of November.

Quick question: not saying I will, just curious - what happens if you paint up a new team, but it looks almost the same as the last? For example, the metal White Lions are all the same 3 poses, so what if you did a group of 8 with a champion, then painted a new 8 with standard bearer? Would it still be considered a new team as they are newly painted? What if you just switch a model instead - in this example, keep 7 White Lions and just switch the champion for standard bearer, no newly painted normal White Lions?

Sorry, my quick question turned into several longer ones :stuck_out_tongue:

DAGabriel:

I have started already!

@ HB: Have thought about that, too. The Infernal Guard (if I use them for BSL) I have to paint is really look alike. I decided to post them as a single group and as a group shot with those already done, alternatively as a group shot with them in front and a view from the back of only the new minis.

Lord Aldades:

Count me in again :slight_smile:

This stuff motivates me to get some things done, and afterwards to complete out the whole regiments

furrie:

Already started my first team for season 2

clam:

Quick question: not saying I will, just curious - what happens if you paint up a new team, but it looks almost the same as the last? For example, the metal White Lions are all the same 3 poses, so what if you did a group of 8 with a champion, then painted a new 8 with standard bearer? Would it still be considered a new team as they are newly painted? What if you just switch a model instead - in this example, keep 7 White Lions and just switch the champion for standard bearer, no newly painted normal White Lions?

Sorry, my quick question turned into several longer ones :P

Hashut's Blessing
:D

First off, we trust each other here, and if you tell me they are yours and newly painted/not shown it counts as a new team and will qualify for bonuses. Painting the same miniatures for each round doesn't change anything, and will still be considered as new ones, but what first season have shown us are, that people don't like to see the same stuff over and over again - and will probably hit you in the voting.

So there is no problem doing new teams consisting of the same models for each round. This is about reducing your pile of unpainted stuff, and if its a pile of 200 BfSP Dwarfs, it's dwarfs you'll be painting - but they will pobably loose popularity during the season.

Just replacing a single model do not qualify for bonuses. Again your "entry" will be "the picture" so can't included previously shown miniatures. If it does, it's not to be considered a new team - and will be seen as: "You may do touch ups on or re-paint an already painted team and you may also enter new photos - but it will not be considered "a new team" and will not qualify for "the new team bonus"".

So 3+ new figures and only the newly painted ones in the phote = New team bonus.

So, if you want to show your horde - you are free to post them in the Hobby section.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Thank you very much. I shall try to enter this, but see how getting my hobby stuff from the ex’s goes.

Thorne:

How long do I have left ?

Borador:

I’m in! I better start painting, only a month left :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Borador:

By the way; where and when to send a small donation (for the season 2 winner’s prize)? I’m more than willing to throw in a few bucks so you won’t have to pay for the price all by yourself Clam!

clam:

By the way; where and when to send a small donation (for the season 2 winner's prize)? I'm more than willing to throw in a few bucks so you won't have to pay for the price all by yourself Clam!

Borador
I'm actually seriously thinking about turning one of the Ewal Dvergar into a painting slave and have him prober based. Should I go that far, I will, from next season ofer a copy to the first 3. It will cost me a few bucks now, but I'll throw it into a master mould and get 20 done. Should cover our need for the next few seasons, I guess.

So no need for donations, but thanks for your offer.

clam:

How long do I have left ?

Thorne
If people are up for it will start December 1st giving you 33 days to do an entry, but with GH ending mid November, I'm open for a start January 1st 2013.

DAGabriel:

Think December 1st will do nicely.

clam:

Bolg wrote in the BSL2 Round 5-thread:

Sorry in advance to all and everybody… But I promised last month I would start nagging about this:

So here goes:

I know the rules state that we will keep seeing this pic for as long as the brushslave runs.

But I kinda think this is getting insulting for everyone who takes the effort to paint something new and then gets this as an opponent. Yes its an easy win but that surly should not be a reason (imagine winning the comp just because you got this team as an opponent twice)

@Thorne please dont be offended, the painting is quite an ok standard but the photo (big flash) and the photoshop work (That font!) is quite frankly painful to the eyes. could you please send in a new team in next month?

I guess its better not to change the rules midway trough a round but I seriously suggest figuring out a rule that makes sure this wont happen again for next season.

(like a maximum repost of one team of 3 times)

But maybe for next round(and all after that) this one just accidentally gets another repost as opponent. (or Thorne ask to get his team withdrawn form the competition if he doenst paint something else, that would be within the rules).

Also, If Clam does not have to keep reposting teams, less work for him.

I guess I kinda take this all a bit to serious, but I think I am not alone in this. It is a competition, there are even prices to be won.

And last month when I took my entry a bit over the top I actually lost some sleep about facing this team. I know, stupid but I hope this sounds understandable to anyone who puts some real time in his entry.

Bolg
So, what does the rest of you think, feel … I’d really like to hear.

Zanko:

In general I agree with Bolg!

In my opinion a 2 or 3 times re-entry should be enough!

In several cases I had also problems with finishing my entries but painting 3 Miniatures every 2 or 3 month should be possible! Especially if you want to join the BSL!

An open question remain - what to do if someone doesn’t post new entries? Should he removed from the BSL or what other “consequence” should happen? I’m not sure about it!

:hashut

DAGabriel:

I must admit I agree with Bolg. It is a little like a sore tooth.

And I too think it unwise to change rules in the middle of the league, even if we seem to have two or three of these at the moment since frostbit quitted and Lord Aldades isnt back after he broke his hand. <br>So yes, I think if we find an acceptable way we should try to prevent this kind of left overs in the next leagues but havent got a bright idea how to do that. Jokers?

clam:

Just to make things clear. I’m not change the way who to participate or the match up procedure, mid season :slight_smile:

Any changes regarding signing up, number of teams, match up, points or withdraws will not take effect this season.

To me it’s a balance thing. We tried the monthly challenges, where those that painted something entered. We tried it with a “best achievement” poll system and without and then we have now tried the league format for 2 seasons. All systems has pros and cons, IMO.

With the monthly challenge and vote for best entry, we saw “the same people winning” and we was losing participants.

With the challenge without the competition element but just a point for entering, it tented to fav the most productive and the speed painters (quantity) more than the painters and again we started losing some.

So then I suggested the League, as it gave us a bit of both.

But I can see what you are getting at.

I’m just afraid we’ll end up losing participants (again) if we say 3x3 miniatures to take part. But losing participants if the engagement isn’t high enough, is also a problem.

We’ll need at least an average of 10 people to run a league IMO or we’ll just end up facing the same opponent over and over again, and then the league will loose its appeal, I think.

But as it’s as much your painting challenge as it is mine, I’m willing to change the rules, of course. So give me some inputs, please (also if you ain’t currently a participants). All opinions are welcome and valued.