[Archive] Carcearion's Warhost of Karagazkar [Chaos Dwarf Temple WIP 1/5/2018]

Carcearion:

Hello Everyone! Happy to be here on the forum and having already introduced my self on the approiate forum page I will skip right on to my army. I’m a huge fan of the big hats, and particularly Rozmax’s and the Russian Alternatives re-imaging of the old style. I want to open up with a big image filled post to have something intereting to show and tell about, and please let me know afterwards if this whole thing is too long winded, I dont often see so much commentary on miniatures as what I’m writing here.

My photography and painting skills get much better later on, starting around here: Link

Starting off with my army general Bharvrhak Bloodforge, Master of The Smoldering Tower of Karagazkar:

Had a ton of fun painting this guy, he was the first one I ever painted (and my first time painitng a fantasy miniatures), my fiance actually did the icons on the banners with paper stencils, a mechanical pencil, and a micopen. This miniature is actually my favorite sculpt of all time, he absolutly incapsulates so many things I really love about Chaos Dwarves and over the top fantasy villians in general, when I got this mini I was totally sold on the Russian Alternative line and made me a huge fan of Rozmax in general (I cant wait for him to put out more stuff, Chaos Dwarf or otherwise!). His best feature and my favorite thing of all time; his hat is actually taller then he is, I checked before I attached his head. :hat

Next up I have my Daemon-Smith Thazhar Shadowaxe.

Did a smig of conversion work making the scepter out of green stuff and some dark eldar bits, and the back banner thing is from a Reaper Bones dwarf priest. I just felt like he needed a little more mystisism about him, I’m still not 100% sold on the back banner thing- but since he did’nt have a hat (I noticed that Rozmax tried out a verison of him with a hat, but my guess is that it didnt work with the horn? The greens I saw for it looks great to me though). I really loved the chared/petrified arm that they did for his design, its an awesome touche, more on that below.

This is my Greater Obsidian Golem (playing Kings of War mostly).

I painted up the arm on my Daemon-Smith to match him. This is just the Reaper Bones greater earth elemental with some left over chaos bits and some chain, I carved out the symbols on him with a heated hobby knife. He has a nice gloss effect on him that dosent show up well in the photo (I think the flash just over does it) which looks nice but even after weeks the black gloss paint I used is still tacky (got some hobby model car paint) so I’m not sure what his ultimate fate is going to be, I might have to repaint him.

A simple Standard Bearer

from one of the two command group. I cant decide if I want to leave him as is or keep working up his detail, I love the miniatures but I also belive in a certain… well call it utility or lazyness, when painting miniatuers I know I plan to place in the back of the diorama. Like all my other none hero/monster units im going to magnizie him so I can move him back and fourth from a large scenic base for kings of war and a regular 25mm base for other games. I really do like how he turned out, but when I compare him to my leader units like old Bloodforge and Shadowaxe he seems lacking.

These are my scratch built Heavy Mortars WIP:

I made this out of various simple plastic bits and boxes I picked up at a local plastics store, some bane-blade cannons (which turned out to be allot smaller then I anticipated), bits from the warhammer ruined temple terrain set, and some Reaper Bones demons. I was espiecally happy to have my favoite Dungeons and Dragons demons bursting out of the furnace our good of frieds (fiends?) the Osyluth and the Vrock. People often forget the the common everyday Daemon Army daemons are far from all there is, in fact daemons should come in an infinate and bewildering variety of weirdness not just the typical legions of the dark gods. I cant decide if the Osyluth would be a daemon of khorne, nurgle, or undivded? I think we all know who’s bird headed magic using camp the Vrock would be in.

Last but not least I have my Immortal Guard WIP that my banner bearer will be backing up

These are just Rozmax’s brillent Dwarves of Fire Canyon with two handed weapons that everyone has seen before on the forum. I did modify the mohawk head to have horns I nabbed from some Chaos Marines (I just dont like mohawks on dwarves normally, although Rozmax’s Bezerkers have put me on the fence).

I do have a trio of scatch built death-shreakiers I seem to have deleted the images for so I guess I’ll save them for another update.

I cant wait to hear what people think of all these guys, and what advice they have for me, its great to finally be starting my army blog after months of lurking! Really helps modivate me to get the models togeather and painted and its allot of fun already being part of forum (crossing my fingers that my entry does well in the Scribe Contest). :cheers

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]

TheHoodedMan:

A good start for a blog with a lot of pictures.
Welcome and good luck for your army.:hat off

I like the skin color you used and your homemade mortars :cheers

(edit: your Bharvhrak Bloodforge remembers me of a friend of mine :-)))

Fuggit Khan:

A lovely start on your blog :hat off

I’m particularly impressed at the skin tones and accents that you did on their faces…they really look angry and full of contempt. Perfect!

And nice work that your fiance did on the runes :cheers

BABIS:

good start, the mortars look promising :wink:

Loidrial:

It’s always great for me to see more gray skin dwarves, we arent enough for my taste.

Your mortar show lot of potential for sure, keep em coming, this is a good way to start aswell with so many pics!

Malorndk:

Looks pretty cool. Keep it up and lets see some progres

Admiral:

Good start on the army! Best of luck and keep it up.

Carcearion:

Alright! The holiday weekend has come and gone and I finally set aside some time and was determined to finally finish my first squad of Chaos Dwarves. I’m really happy with these guys, I will very shortly have them all magnetized so that I can move them around from a large scenic base for Kings of War or regular bases for whatever other war-games I might start playing with them. Right now I think Armies of Arcana looks like an really great simple system, but I have been taking at look at 9th Age and its certainly interesting �?" I’m just not sold on moving back to a GW esq systems that may be a little more complicated then it needs to be. Being able to have two or three full sized games comfortably in one night is really nice! (Also I find its allot easier to recruit players for easier to learn faster to play games).

I’m curious to hear what systems people are playing their Chaos Dwarves in, I’m actually on the hunt for a good skirmish game (unfortunately Reaper’s Warlord has fallen a little flat for me) and I’m open to suggestions

So on to the actual update! I broke the squad up into little teams for the photo’s because… well basically because i like when other people do that in their army blogs. I like looking through blogs with loads of pictures! The guy on the far right is holding a stony jar that I will be modeling a daemon babe with a smokey trail issues out from it. The original function for said daemon chick is to be my “Mutated Throwing Mastiffs” counter for KoW (a very good once per game ranged attack representing you unleashing monsters on your opponent). The one for this squad is a really cool Marilith miniature from Reaper, I think I will be painting all my demon girls as living flame. Actually does anyone know where i can find a good tutorial for painting a miniature in living flame/lava? its certainly relevant to our interests
:hashut

The only real standout here is Mr.Horns in the middle, as I mentioned earlier I can’t abide mohawks on dwarves most of the time and replaced it with some horns, also i missed my rampant chaos mutations im used to doing with my CSM.

This group just happened to include allot of my favorites from the squad. The reptilian emptiness on the face of the banner bearer really makes me happy, as does the contemptuous sideways glance on the on to his right. Eyes are a real challenge for me and basically I just take whatever I end up with so long as they look like eyes. I’m curious do the Dwari Zharr view mutations outside of the hoof, horn, and tusk variety as a sign of weakness or genetic inferiority?

My unit sgt and one of the croniest looking Dwarves in the squad. I’m not totally happy with him being the squad leader, other then his pose (which is not unique in the squad) and the fact that he will be front and center nothing much really marks him out as a leader. Does anyone have any suggestions for me here?

Immortal Guard, The Soul Breakers of Karagazkar. Lead by Bzaazh Ashheart

That’s all I got for today. Had a load of fun painting them, I hope this post wasn’t too rambley (I asked a ton of questions though out the post), and that it was worth scrolling through! :hat off

Also man I love that hats off emoticon, who made those for the site?

Jackswift:

Morning. Your new unit is looking great and the previous character models look good too. You have a unique dark style to your painting and color choices that is nicely offset by the gold highlights.

I am interested to see your take on the mutated throwing mastiff take shape. Interesting idea and definitely opens up the unit to unique fillers and conversions.

As to other mutations I suspect they would end up the lowest tier of CD society and fill out the cannon fodder ranks in an army… Or make a fun slave unit conversion. Though frankly make the fluff for your army whatever you want it to be.

Re your tacky golem. Have you considered a varnish or sealant? Might fix the tackiness though you’d need to pick something designed to work w that kind of paint which migh make stripping impossible.

Cheers, JR

Malorndk:

The unit looks good, but do they rank up? They look pretty big, but lovely models.

Carcearion:

Thanks! I’m glad you guys like how they turned out I’m really happy with them myself.

@Jackswift I think a sealent might be the way to go, their was an awful lot of stuff at my local hobby shop for the paint line that the black gloss came from I’m sure ill find something made for it.

@Malorndk You know I have read before that these particular minatures don’t rank up very well, they where designed to be bulkier then the other models in the line and the Russian Alternative have even released a �?oremastered�?� version of them which rank up better. I have them magnetized so that gave me some freedom to reposition on their bases as I ranked them, and I also have them on 25mm bases to give them extra room but I think they it worked out alright (it was a bit of a hassle though).

Soon I’ll have them on a scenic kings of war infantry regiment base, I think that’s where they will look their best.

Abecedar:

Apart from painting some how I cannot think of a way to make your chosen leader stand out other than a higher more impressive base.

You could switch him out for the horned dude and make him the leader. Then all mutations could be viewed as a blessing in your army.

Carcearion:

Ok I have now finished my �?oMutated Throwing Mastiff�?� Token and she turned out way above my expectations! Molten Demonic Babes felt like a really fun contrast to the Chaos Dwarves, and unleashing a daemon on your enemies is waaayyy cooler then a couple of mutated bulldogs.

She does kinda steal the show from my Immortals, but I think if she did’nt it would mean I had done something wrong (also the lighting in this shot is hard on them. I’m just taking these with two desk lamps, some printer paper, and my cell phone).

you can see her smokey trail leading back to her jar below (just some cotton soaked in some water with grey & black paint)

I am absolutely thrilled with how she turned out, this was my first try at the whole molten flesh thing and I’m blown away. I just hope it wasn’t a fluke and I can replicate the effect again (I was really just kinda messing around experimenting and it just worked).

I really wanna thank everyone for their encouragement, I think doing this blog has really motivated me to get stuff done, and the way its shaping up this will probably be my best painted army. So many people on CDO have such great armies I feel like I’m making allot of improvement trying to meet that standard.  :hat off

Admiral:

Neat touch with having the fire daemoness pouring out from the bottle. Good painting on her, too! She complements the dark colour scheme of the unit very well. Now I look particularly much forward to see what you do with the mortar Daemons.

Keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

Jackswift:

Nicely done on the “Mastiff”.  :hat off  Not at all what I was expecting based on your initial description, but the paint job very nicely captures the molten look, cooling toward the edges.  I’m not sure what your paint colors were, but from the photos it actually looks like there is a subtle amount of pink/purple mixed in with the darkening orange/red moving toward the edges (which is very true to how iron/steel looks when cooling). Not sure if that is just from the mix of colors you used, or an intentional add, but it is well executed and makes for a stunning effect. Something similar on a unit scale, might make a very nice K’daai style unit.  

She is a very different model from the chaos dwarf style though the scales complement the CD armor style.  This is great as is, but if you do this type of filler again, you might think of converting with CD style weapons, or perhaps a big hat :slight_smile:

Fuggit Khan:

Very nice! The smoke trail leading back to the jar is a wonderful touch…letting the genie out of the bottle :cheers

Nicodemus:

Nice work. I like how the effect and composition turned out

Abecedar:

Very nicely done. And again ,kudos for the smoke trail.

Which model is she ?

Murkwood:

“Molten Demonic Babes” are totally cooler than �?oMutated Throwing Mastiff�?�.

Love the war engines!

Carcearion:

Wow thanks so much everyone! It’s really great to have my first squad totally squared away and I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who thought she turned out so well (which still floors me, the technique was an accident).

@Admiral Yeah I’m really tempted to back-track and paint the Mortar daemons with the same technique but on the other-hand I really like what I’ve done for the one already. I’m kinda torn here actually x.x

@Jackswift You know that was actually purely accidental, I was originally trying to paint her up as living fire but then I ended up with this great molten steel look much to my surprise! As it turns out when you add black to the new red gore (cant remember the new name for it) it does have a slight purple tint to it, I almost switched to a different color instead to avoid the tint, lol I’m glad I didn’t. It also just so happened this was the one layer I decided to see what it looked like if i painted against the grain and all of a sudden she went from “ok” to one of my best pieces out of nowhere. As to a K’daai unit I’ve had it in mind, now that I’ve figured it out I’ve been racking my brain tryng to come up with more stuff to use it on. Also, a big hat! Awwhh what a missed opportunity for a Big Hats Illustrated Demon Bikini Calender! :slight_smile:

@Abecedar Vandorendra, Snake Demon (77117) less then 3$! The Reaper Bones line is doing allot of really awesome stuff. The material their made of is cheap, easy to cut, very durable, and you can even easily repose almost an entire miniature by boiling it for a minute, bending them into the new pose you want, and then dunking them in ice water. They don’t photograph well unpainted because of the sheer white color of the material so allot of people think their less detailed then Reaper’s other stuff, but its no loss at all as far as I can tell, I really recommend the Bones figures.

I’m hoping to update again next weekend with my scratch-built rockets and to start on another squad of Rozmax’s fire canyon chaos dwarves.

Thanks again everyone for all the compliments!  :D