[Archive] CD Custom Dice

snowblizz:

I’ll just chip in as I’ve followed several of these threads and even partaken in one. I have custom Beastmen dice.

Most now go for the picture on the 6 as you WANT to see your icon. Well except Ld test, but if you only get 6’s who needs to take them!?

FWIW to me the skull and lightning bolts are more “iconic” for CDs. Won’t be mistaken for the rune of Khorne by your opponent either.

It’d be a lot more interesting I think as well. Just MHO of course.

Colours can be chosen individually for each set, actually for each dice even IIRC. They have a certain limited selection though. The more bought the less each cost up to something like 500 dice.

Time of Madness:

Sorry for spamming up this forum a tad but I have sent the e-mail to find out the appoximate weights of the custom dice (the type we will be purchasing).

Ronshank
Any word back on this?

I think the best way to do this would be to establish exactly what glyph we are going to use and then pick the colours.

I agree with snowblizz I'd rather see something like lightning bolt or a bull or some such rather then the rune. Just seems more noticeable as a chaos dwarf icon.

As far as ordering goes I think it would be best for one person to put in the order and then ship them out. That one person is going to have a fair amount of work to do.
Time of Madness

Ronshank:

I am currently waiting for the e-mail (not all that patiently) but nothing has come in yet. I will definately update this the moment it arrives.

Sousunou:

Count me in for a set.

Would it be worth editing the first post to add the people who want a set? that way we can see how many we are currently at.

Nicodemus:

Count me in for some D6’s. Either the lightning bolt skull idea or something very similar. Hats are too controversial and we’ll alienate people if we went that route… but I’d be all over big hats for 6’s :wink:

Kered:

I would be interested in a set. perhaps a bull head symbol would be appropriate.

Da Crusha:

NO Big Hats on 6’s!! a Bull Head symbol sounds good though.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Maybe have the words Chaos Dwarfs/Dawi Zharr/Hashut or something on them? I would guess that almost EVERY CD symbol is unlikely to get recognised by the majority of players, so that reason feels a little invalid to me is all.

EDIT: Or CDO. I had thought of suggesting Chaos Dwarfs Online or the url, but I thought it may not be so cool for some people to have it as website dice rather than CD dice…

Ronshank:

The e-mail is in:-

Hello!

I would be happy to help you with your project.

The weight per die varies significantly depending on the color of dice.  Some of the materials we use are more dense than others.  In addition, the dice are very small so it wouldn�?Tt be the most accurate way to estimate the total weight of your order.  If you give me an idea of how many you might want it total, I will be happy to estimate the full weight and shipping costs for you.

What sort of custom work did you have in mind for your project?

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Joseph Kogin

Chessex Manufacturing
So there you go we have to get all of this in order. At the time I sent this I thought we had just about agreed with black and red pips with the rune of Hashut as 6 (or possibly pyro’s idea if it were an availible colour)

I can e-mail for the availible colours on offer but the prices I gave you earlier (yes I know they do not include postage)  are accurate. So now we know consensis must be reached, along with information on the numbers of dice wanted per person by who wants them. If we can get this going the most accurate costing should be achieved fairly quickly. I suggest we formally decide on what colour dice we would like (plus a second in case the first choice is not offered), Having said that I will send an e-mail stating the two colour options I mentioned in this post, plus asking what other coulour options are availible for what we want. I have a feeling the larger the order the more options we will have.

Thanks for being patient.

edit Oh and what I had asked for was an approximate weight per dice

Hashut’s Blessing:

Well, I think that we’re agreed about black dice with red pips, using that sparkle effect posted by Pyro. Now, the question is what will we have on the 6?

Also, if people start stating how many dice they would like, then we can tally them and keep track of them in here (as I suggested earlier and Sousunou did too).

Time of Madness:

Here’s the list of interested members. Some are only interested depending on the price and the glyph.

THE LIST

Time of Madness - 40 dice

Kered -

Servius -

maelzch -

Da Crusha -

Hashut’s Blessing -

Ronshank -

Loki -

KramDratta -

Sousunou -

NIcodemus -

Kered -

I’m still not sure we have figured out what icon/gylph we want. Would it be best to post a lot of options and have people vote?

I like the bull icon idea. What about something like this

Or

Or

Any other ideas or pictures? Could people interested in dice let me know how many they would want to buy and I’ll update the list.

Time of Madness

Pyro Stick:

I think the first bull glyph is cool. It kind of looks cartoony and matches the banners from the army book perfectly.

I would be interested if the dice are in the colour scheme i posted and if i knew the price. I guess i would order about 20 but since i dont play warhammer at all right now i would only order a pair if the price was right.

Rhazzouth:

First glyph rock.

It’s soo cool!!!

Nicodemus:

I’m leaning toward this one…

although a bull’s head or even a bull’s head with a beard (a la Hashut) would be OK but not as iconic.

I’m in for 6 for certain (or as many as 12, depending on final price).

~N

KramDratta:

15 for me

As for the picture I actually like Time Of Madness’ Avatar, but whatever you guys decide is fine for me.

Cheers

Time of Madness:

Thanks for the input gents. I’ll throw up a poll tonight or tomorrow with a bunch of different glyphs for everyone to vote on.

Time of Madness

snowblizz:

Thanks for the input gents. I'll throw up a poll tonight or tomorrow with a bunch of different glyphs for everyone to vote on.
Time of Madness

Time of Madness
That seems the best recourse.

Let me iterate a few points that seem to be missed time and again. Usually what people have are laser engraved dice. Custom dice is not quite the same. Laser engraved are much cheaper. These dice come in a variety of basic colours. Everyone can pick their own colours, pending availability from the manufacturer. There's no fixed "set" to order. It won't cost extra if we take 1 each of all their (let's say) 20 colours as compared to 20 of one colour. The total amount of dice is the important thing which determines the unit price.

Shipping the individual sets will be the kicker. Especially if we have a small batch say 100-200 dice when they are still pretty expensive per dice. Especially for those who live far overseas.
It is rather important where people are from. The usual suspect makes the dice in the UK, so sending the "big" batch to America to be divided up wouldn't make sense, unless most who order are also from there. I'm not an expert, but it seems to me the UK & Royal Mail is a fairly cheap and reliable place to post out the small packages. Also means the initial shipping cost is that much smaller. And no I'm not English but I've had good experiences getting packages from there. The place that sent me some miniatures in a letter that took 3 days and cost £2 to arrive feature large. Man that was a class act of transporting.

I'm getting a dangerous vibe of enthusiasm going, please do not hurry on this, ok. Better to get it well organised than have it blow up in our faces.

Nicodemus:

Better to get it well organised than have it blow up in our faces.

snowblizz
I guess that would be a misfire. Ka-Boom!!

Hashut’s Blessing:

I agree that Time of Madness’ avatar is pretty damned good, but I like the idea of the first bull picture with a CD beard most. It prevents it seeming like unrelated cow dice and keeps it to a theme people like and ties it back in to CDs :wink:

Ronshank:

Snowbizz I have edited post as I was pretty upset because I took offense at some of your statements which made my efforts thus far seem both trivial and wrong and I went on the defensive. I have since realised that I was being quite rash as there is a language barrier and you were only warning of the dangers of acting in a hurry.

However I do feel a need to defend my actions thus far as you did hit a sore spot by trying to make out I had not checked details such as where the company is based. If you had simply clicked on the link in the first post and had a little look around (namely the ordering tab), you will see that this particular company acts in the US and wants US dollars. Meaning I was not out of line to assume that a US company would send a package internally cheaper.

Niether did I believe that we would be getting truely ‘custom’ dice, I just didn’t know the process they would use, which as you have indicated would most likely be laser. And I certainly didn’t think you would call anyone to task about the term ‘custom’.

As well this you state that there is no such thing as minimum order but if had checked at Chessex (the company from the first post) you would have seen that indeed there is a set minimum of dice which is 10, a number that is easily reached with just one order.

But once again you misunderstood me about why I included that information. As you would have read on the post that you questioned I forwarded an idea to have warhammer artilery dice made in our set colours to match the dice sets. I merely said that it would take 10 people wanting my idea for it to viable. This is an idea that I have since given up on as there is no indication of interest.

I only did my calculations about how much it would cost to have both my idea and the origional idea done at once because I was already doing the costing for the origional type of dice I and it was a simple matter of just another calculation so I did it. You would also see that I explained all of my calculations in the post next to any calculations in that post were they were mentioned, this includes how I came up with my calculations on dice using the amount of 25 (given that one one had yet given any numbers). But if you wish to you can do your own costing on the Chessex site based on your own ideas and the numbers we now have.

As you seem to be much more informed about getting dice made maybe you can post some of your own providers so that we may choose between a few different companies?

I am sure you did not mean to offend and I applogize, but I have no reason to be chasing anything up I am doing this purely because I believe the dice to be a gueniuely cool idea, and I have seen these kind of projects fail because cost issues where never ironed out and no-one gave numbers. I wish to keep looking into this idea but I might just PM Time of Madness in future before I post anything, especially as he started the topic in the first place.

Back to the piont, As design still seems to be up in the air I had put off e-mailing about colours, so I can’t help about postage at the moment. I will ask Chessex about Snowbizz’s idea about everyone being able to choose their own colours and see what they say as well as wheather they get the dice made internationally. I’ll send any info I get to Time.

THE LIST

Time of Madness - 40 dice

Kered -

Servius -

maelzch -

Da Crusha -

Hashut’s Blessing -

Ronshank - 27 dice

Loki -

KramDratta - 15 dice

Sousunou -

NIcodemus -

Kered -

Pyro- 20 uncomfirmed

Good idea about the voting thread Time of Madness seems the best way to get an idea on what picture/glyph is most popular. However Snowbizz does have a piont that it would be a good idea to get a few more ideas for side 6 for anyone who is still undecided.