[Archive] CD Juggernaught

zagor66:

Can anyone please tell me what exactly is a Juggernaught and why is it so rare also what is a Whirlwind?:hat

Willmark:

They were both boar centaur powered war machines that were from they 3rd edition of the game. The jugger is particularly rare beacause it wad produced in limited numbers plus it had no official rules from GW.

In game terms the whirlwind had spikey maces that swing around a central on a frame pushed by the afore mentioned bull centaurs.

Go to the stuff of legends website for what they looked like. Google it since I don’t have the link handy.

zagor66:

Juggernaught sounds cool.

metro_gnome:

the tenderizer…

its retarded cousin the whirlwind…

the juggernaught…

the appropriate fluff…

CRUSH*CRUMBLE AND CHOP

Thymbrin rose to his feet with as mch dignity as he could muster.

“Not good enough for your precious Engineers’ Guild eh?” he grated. “Well, it’s no hair off my chin.” He paused to adjuct the back of his jerkin where the sodden cloth was sticking to his skin.

“And I hope your little ritual made you feel suitably important. By stone and steel, it showed the hidebound, frightened shower of fossils youare - yes, frightened! You’d sooner shave than have an idea! Tradition, you keep on! Where was tradition when we first took mithril and worked it? Where was tradition when the great arches of Zhufbar were built, like nothing that’s been seen before or since?”

“Tradition - pha!” he spat, “It’s stagnation you’re building! If you really want to vanish down your own bellows-hole, tha’s your decision. I’ll make my machines without the Engineer’s Guild and cave-ins take the lot of you!”

He woke abruptly as the snake tightened its grip on his throat. Damn that dream it did it every time.

What a life he though as he prised it off. Forever being throttled by your own beard. He reached under his bunk snatched up one of the small, skittering things that lived there, and fed it to the snake that sprouted from his chin. It seemed to calm it down.

“Well,” he said to himself “Imight as well have breakfast too.” From a cluster of pots and dishes he collected two handfuls of things better left undescribed, and sat down to eat.

He was about halfway through his meal when some one entered - if the term someone can be applied to the huge, dog-faced, black armoured figure that towered over him.

“Come,” it snarled “it is time for the bloodletting”. The Dwarf nodded and left his meal.

The CHampion of Chaos followed him as he made his prepartions. First he went into a workshop, where a dozen or so DWarfs were working feverishly. All bore the mark of Chaos in some manner.

“Time to go boys”. he called. “Take everthing that’s finished and everything you can finish on the march”. He crossed the workroom to a line of machines which stood ready.

“Simple but effective” he said to the Chaos Warrior. "As you can see, we have two types completed: the Whirlwind with its rotating blades and flails, and the Tenderiser, with a bank of trip-hammers and heavy maces. Simply get them going fast, and they’ll carve you serveal nice, big ragged holes in the enemy ranks. I’m working on a number of other ideas, of course, but these are what I have ready at the moment.

The Champion of Chaos walked round the two machines, examing the spikes, blades, flails and hammers.

“Great bloodletting”, he murmured to himself, reverently touching the skull-rune of Khorne on his breatplate, “Much blood for the Blood God”.

“Come along” said Thymbrin cheerfully, “Let’s meet the crews, I’m rather please with them - made them myself, you know. In a manner of speaking”. He led the armoured figure through a series of passages into another large chamber, where two or three dozen form lay sleeping.

Thymbrin took a horn from a hook on the wall and blew a long, echoing blast. The sleepers awoke, and began strapping on armour. As they moved, their forms could be seen; from the waist up they were Chaos Dwarfs, but they had the bodies and four trottered legs of boars.

“Boar centaurs”, Thymbrin explained, “One per machine. Fast strong and full of fight - ideal for the job. Just a case of finding the right combinations of mutation and sticking with them”.

“We should be ready to march within the hour. Can I offer you some refreshment while we wait? I’m sure we can rustle up some blood from somewhere”.

The defending army was formed up and waiting, Elves, Dwarfs and Humans all knew that they must win this day or let Chaos break through into the Forest of Shadows and the Middle Mountains. The Ogre mercenaries were no less determined: theirplates has been filled, and their fighting reputation was at stake.

Over the crest of the rise, the forces of Chaos came into view, rank by rank. There were black-armoured riders on warped, variously=legged mounts; towering champions whose massive swords and axes keened with an unholy hunger; Beastmen of all shpes, sizes and colours. And around them, like a roiling sea, seethed a pres of other things - the Spawn of Chaos.

But all eyes were on the machines which rolled before the Chaos pack. They advanced in a single rank, the width of the Chaos army, with their spiked, two wheeled frames, their whirling blades and their thrashing hammers.

The Elven archers and Dwarven crossbows loosed two volleys before falling back to their pre-arranged positions. The missiles had little effect, the bulk of them thuding harmlessly into the grotesque carved panels which shielded each machine.

The machiens began to gather speed. As they approached, their crews could be seen - centauroid creatures, an unnatural blend of DWarf and boar. They ran almost as fast as a charging horse, handling the machiens as easily as a gardener uses a wheelbarrow.

The machies ploughed sickengly into the Ogre mercenaries that held the centre. Blades and flails whirled, hammers and maces thrashed. Flesh and sinew shredded, bone and iron shattered. For all their strength and courages the Ogrese were decimated in a matter of seconds.

The centre was now dangerously weak - with the Ogres effectively destroyed. The full forces of the enemy would now fall on the Human contigent and chaos could break through the centre before the flanks could move to reinforce it. The advantage now lay with chaos!
The ‘whirlwind’ and ‘tenderiser’, and their strange attendants dwarf boar centaurs are the products of a twisted Dwarven science. The harvest of blood that they reap is gladly welcomed by Khorne.

These awsome war machiens were devised by the notorious chaos dwarf inventor Thymbrin, who also bred the dwarf Boar-Centaurs to crew them.

THE BOAR CENTAUR

The warping influence of chaos has thrown forth many malformities and horrific mutations. Some of these unnatural blends of unlikely creatures defy the comprehension and descriptive abilities of a merely sane author. Such foul creatures flourish like a canker in the chaos wastes, even entering the old world, where they take up with other servants of the gods of chaos. The boar Centaur is a creature of this kind, spawned upon some unfathomable chaotic whim and nurtured by helpmates themselves enslaved to the ever changing will of chaos. A few boar centaurs became the object of experimentation by chaos dwarf aritsans, and were subsequently enslaved upon the machiens of the chaos dwarfs, providing the motive power for their fiendish war engines.

physique: Boar centuars combine the body of a boar with the torso and upper body of a chaos dwarf. Their coarse fur vaires in colour from individual to individual, often apeing the naural shades of horses, but equally often manifesting as some bizarre and upleasing shade.

Because it is a creature of chaos, riddled with the very stuff of chaos itself, a Boar Centaur’s attacks are considered to be magical in the same way as attacks from DAemons and Elementals. A Boar CEntaurs attacks are fully effective agasint all creatures normally immun to non magical attacks.
Chaos Dwarf War Machines

When it comes to inventing machineries of war, the chaos dwarfs are almost as caplable as the members of the Dwarf Engineers guild. Perhaps there is something about their inventive dwarven nature which responds vigorously to the warping stimulus of Chaos.

The whirlwind is a two-wheeled push-cart with scythed wheels and spikes fixed to the front. Threee rotating flils and three rotating sythes are mounted on the front and driven by means of cogs and gears linked to the axle. This means that the flils and scythes will only rotate so long as the cart is being pushed. The whirlwind is principally a device for breaking up and smashing through solid formations of troops. If the device succeeds in breaking through, it may proceed to engage other targts beyond. Several of these devices may form up into a unit to attack together.

The Tenderiser is a variant of the whirlwind in which the axle is linked by gears to three enormous concussive implements. AS the device is pushed forward tehse implents batter and crush foes in its path. It operates in a similar way to the whirlwind except that the nature of the damage inflicted is different.

If the whirlwind or tenderiser fails to penetrate through a unit it is brought to a standstill. It cannot cause any damage once halted in this way although the boar centaur can fight as normal. (The idea of this machinery is as a shock troop, to hopefully pass straight through the unit)!

zagor66:

Tenderiser and Whirlwind look quite , whats the word? Awful

Traitor King:

Hey, thanks Metro, that was good fluff, very interesting.

Got links to any other old CD fluff?

Pyro Stick:

zagor66
How dare you. They are awesome.

zagor66:

I did not mean to offend , hashut will punish me.:mask

ashur:

from where did you get this fluff?

Willmark:

Usually 3rd edition box sets had stats, rules and fluff printed on the back.

metro_gnome:

i suggest you don’t quote posts like this…
my post was annoying enough without having to scroll through it twice…
hopefully you or a mod can sort this out…

these were the rules and fluff written for the machines in third ed… well before my time…
there was a .pdf but looks like the guy took it down…
these fluff bits were typed out by Harvestmouse over at HoH…

AGPO:

Awesome, its odd to hear fluff from re 4th edition when many parts of warhammer were very different. Who remembers centaurs and undead champions of chaos in chaos armies? I haven’t even mentioned the Zoats and the Fimir… I wonder what a modern take on these machnes would look like? I have a few ideas, but no time to realise them…

Tallhat:

zagor66
How dare you. They are awesome.

Pyro Stick
You think so. Though not all agree. I for one also find them rather awful. We all are entitled to our own views on these things.

- Tallhat

Willmark:

That’s it Tallhat off to the slave pits for you!

AGPO-
How about Temple Dogs for the Nippon Mercenaries? Dark Elves could use um to, for 95 points they were awesome!

Tallhat:

Dragged screaming by Willmark NOOOOOOOOOOOO…

Willmark:

Now stay there till you see the error of your ways. Next time its into the belly of the Hashut statue on the top of the city!

This time its… hobgoblin latrine duty for a month!

metro_gnome:

eeeewww… hobgoblins always pee on the seat…

Tallhat:

Awww… Can I at least have a slave helping me? Its beneath me to do it myself.

- Tallhat

Willmark:

Nope its your punishment for daring to doubt Hashut or his armies in their earlier incarnations. Hashut suffers no criticism!

Tallhat:

Aha! But Hashut never approved of those machines since the creators of those were in fact worshippers of Khorne!! Traitors all!

- Tallhat