[Archive] CDO Webhosting Problems?

Nicodemus:

Has anyone else been experiencing intermittent problems accessing the site?  Over the past week I’ve had numerous instances were I’ve tried to access www.chaos-dwarfs.com and gotten error messages like the following:

Not Found

The requested URL / was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/4.4.9 Server at www.chaos-dwarfs.com Port 80

Usually it’s off-line for a few minutes, but this afternoon it seemed a fair bit longer.

This obviously isn’t a problem at my end, nor is it an Internet traffic problem - as the web browser gets a response from the Apache webserver for chaos-dwarfs.com but the webserver can’t seem to locate any of the necessary files (hence it saying that the URL “/” which is the root html directory for the site can’t be found).  Obviously, as well, any subdirectories or specific pages return similar error messages with “The requested URL /forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12 was not found on this server.”, for example.

Who is in charge on our end of the site for monitoring the control panel with cphosting? Xander? I realize that cphosting has their own monitoring software and admins, and their system is smart enough to restart services like Apache if they stop responding… but it doesn’t seem like a problem with a stalled process as Apache responds saying that the files for the site can’t be found.  Not knowing specifics of how the site is setup I’m assuming that maybe files for individual websites like chaos-dwarfs.com aren’t actually on 207.58.144.202, but that that server retrieves them from either another box or maybe just a separate drive that’s going off-line.  I may be totally wrote about the last bit, as making up a filename in the site URL will return a similar error message that Apache can’t find the proper Error 404 file, in addition to the bogus filename.  Anyone know something more concrete, like how often this is happening and what can be done to remedy the problem.  

…And while we’re at it, does cphosting have a means of letting us create our own custom Error 404 page for the site?  Something minimalist with a cool looking Chaos Dwarf pwning a slave at a keyboard or pointing outward toward us shouting “file not found” instead of the usual textual 404 message would be great.

~N

Kera foehunter:

i have that problem too yesterday my was around 7 to 8 est .

it was a bout 15 min for me!

Hashut’s Blessing:

This problems have occurred before, but we thought they’d been rectified. How certain can you be that your internet hasn’t blipped out for a couple of minutes on that explorer page? Sometimes, my internet flickers on and off and it makes one browser window not work, but otherwise my usage is fine… I’ll wait for one of the admin to see this (they’re the ones with the technical know-how and ability to sort this kind of problem out) and give them a nudge.

How many other members have been having this/similar problems? I’ve not had any such problems and I’m interested to see if it’s a few isolaed cases or a large number of users…

Willmark:

Actually it could be a web problem there is a very serous storm of spam/spambots worldwide right now…

Hashut’s Blessing:

No need to pass the mesage on now, it’s been spotted :wink:

cornixt:

I’ve noticed it a few times this week. I assumed that the servers were restarting to solve problems with DOS attacks.

Nicodemus:

These problems seem like they’re on the rise. Noticed the same problem a couple of times today and yesterday.

Ogrob:

Only today, but then for two hours at least.

Ah well, it’s not as bad as TWF.

Willmark:

Best bet is to contact one of the admins, there are many veteran members here that have our emails.

cornixt:

It’s been really bad today. Twice I’ve tried to post on this thread and it crashed as soon as I did.

Thorne:

I havent been able to get on herre for the last 4 hours or so.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

This is the first time I got on today…and all I wanted to do was say that I met the spambot!

clam:

Yes, yesterday was a bad one. From around 05.00 pm to midnight (GMT +1 that is) - but after emailing Willmark around 07.30 pm, I was able to log on half an hour - but then it went offline again - and didn’t came back.

Willmark:

Following up with the webhost.

clam:

Think you should, as it has been offline again all morning - from 09:30 a.m (GMT+1) untill about now.

Skink:

…It happened to me many times this and last week. Sometime I am able to get here after 10 min, sometimes after hours!!!

And this isn’t the first time it happened to me also in the past. But never this frequently

Alfract:

I’ve just been refreshing the page for the last 3 hours, before i could get on.

Thorne:

Indeed the same issues for me all morning …

Willmark:

We had these issues in the January timeframe; it improved.

Now they are back again. As a precaution I backed up the entire site last week.

snowblizz:

Tried to get on his morning, but it didn’t work, a guy on the Herdstone had troubles connecting, however another guy on Herdstone DID get to CDO.