[Archive] chainswords?

ashur:

As anyone thought about chainswords/chainaxes as CD weapons? They look tech and sadistic enough.

If one tend to like them, CD are in my opinion the only army who could build them.

tjub:

A chainaxe sound cool, thou maybe more of a weapon for a character unless its a hightech army… Ill have to keep this in mid for later conversion ideas. :slight_smile:

Swissdictator:

I’m a bit hesitant. Partially because of the association with 40k.

If made to look more steampunk like, and less… gas powered… or something more mechanical or clockwork then it might be cool. Perhaps as a weapon for Astrogath? Perhaps for a Warmachine crew too. Regular rank and file? I don’t see so much.

clam:

I could work, but I also think you’ll have to give it a more mechanical look. And I definitely just see this as a character kind of weapon.

jolpis:

never liked chain weapons, but if u add loots of cogwheels i guess its okey

Revlid:

Clockwork Axe: 35 Points

Grimy cogs power the vicious, snarling blades that rotate on the edge of this axe, tearing chunks of flesh out of foes like a greedy animal. It was created by the second Engineer Lord, who lost both his hands to its jagged edges soon after. Cursing the weapon for his accident, it is only the strong willed that avoid spilling their own blood.

Every wound inflicted by the wielder is multiplied into two wounds.

A magic item from my Chaos Dwarf list.

snowblizz:

I’d go with a “yes and no” approach.

Basically the 40k connection makes it problematic, though ooooold editions of WHFB had some tech weapons form the future…

I’m hesitant to see it as something man (well dwarf)-portable in the WHFB world. For something like the Colossus though, sure. At that scale it would probably be within reason to make it durable enough.

Though IIRC there are “chainswords” in Blood Bowl. I seem to remember some kind of Goblin with one?

Kera foehunter:

i have no idea guys ! what one is i don’t play 40 k.

is it like what doomseeker slayer carried ??

ashur:

i have no idea guys ! what one is i don't play 40 k.
is it like what doomseeker slayer carried ??

Kera foehunter
A cross between a sword/axe and a chainsaw

http://www.pixfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/chainsword_by_neonduck.jpg

Kera foehunter:

thanks ash !!! that would be cool !!! Bring on the wood elves

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I'm a bit hesitant. Partially because of the association with 40k.

swissdictator
Did I hear this right? Swiss turning down a CHAINSAW??????

Swissdictator:

I'm a bit hesitant. Partially because of the association with 40k.

swissdictator
Did I hear this right? Swiss turning down a CHAINSAW??????

Tarrakk Blackhand
*laughs* It's more I'm thinking it needs to be done right, and not saturate the army to be an effective look.... and acknowledging the stigma attached to them.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

How about one with a crank on the side? A mechanical chainsaw LOL!

Ubbo Sathla:

Chainswords? maybe, but swords aren’t very CD-ish… The clockwork-axe seems to me a rather fun idea, just one per army, so that it makes just a single touch of flesh-shredding originality.

Filipicusius:

Chaos has them. They are described in Liber chaotica as an untrustworthy arcane weapon that often turn against its wielder. It is also described in the WHFRP book Tome of Corruption and the old slaves to darkness book. I don’t know if these still count as “official”, but the liber chaotica and the tome of corruption is rather new (Liber chaotica in it’s latest edition that is).

I don’t like the thought of Chaos Dwarf Chainswords, but rather similar weapons like the chaiswords in possesion of Nobbla Blackwart from Blood Bowl. They just look too futuristic.

speedygogo:

It seems too futuristic for me. If things get too high tech warhammer becomes 40k.

Hobgoblyn:

The problem is that IF the Chaos Dwarfs were going to create Chainswords, they’d look NOTHING like those in 40K.

Warhammer Fantasy, for even the most technological race, is no better than steampunk. So a chainsword there would be big and bulky and unwieldy in order to accomidate all the necessary gears and mechanics, would probably be a large 2-handed weapon that needed to be attached to a backpack by a large tube in order to function.

wallacer:

It would look good if the Dwarf had some kind of furnace or generator on his back to power the thing.

Kera foehunter:

a furnace on his back NOW THAT HOT!!!

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Furnace on the back? Isn’t that for the game Warmachine? LOL!