[Archive] Chaos Dwarf Army List Info - Tamurkhan

Mr Saturday:

Indeed. The fluff doesn’t seem to match the title and look of the models. They look like disciplined, well drilled, well armed and armoured warriors. They have access to complex ranged weaponry. Not your standard slave. Perhaps they are more akin to feudal indentured troops, beholden to a certain lord or sorcerer.

Thommy H:

I actually quite like the idea of “elites” that are actually a despised underclass, driven insane by awful treatment. There’s no reason they wouldn’t be better fighters, assuming they had really brutal training and did nothing but fight. It’s a neat twist - I’m just not completely sure some of the details work with the existing background.

cornixt:

Could be a caste system at work. While they are essentially free to leave they feel a very strong obligation to serve due to societal pressures. Doesn’t technically fit the description of slave but then GW aren’t always the best at following the dictionary. Nice that they don’t have big hats, since previously it seemed that even the lowliest warrior had one.

Baggronor:

Silly answers. They make these guys the a new special choice sort of like black orcs. Makes no sense that they be martially more powerful then the standard chaos dwarf warriors unless they have a "stupidity=strength" or something rule that makes them easy to control. While actually being able to beat a CD warrior 1 to 1.
CDs aren't about 'who's the biggest' though. They're civilised, in the sense they place value on a functioning society with certain laws, albeit a brutal and precarious one. 'More important' for CDs likely means richer, having greater influence over others, or being a sorcerer and hence part of the ruling caste. It likely has very little to do with how good you are at breaking heads, although that does make you useful to someone higher up. It makes perfect sense that the best fighters are also a commodity to be directed and bartered by those in charge who do not risk themselves unless absolutely necessary. Kinda like the real world actually.

KingFisher:

Silly answers. They make these guys the a new special choice sort of like black orcs. Makes no sense that they be martially more powerful then the standard chaos dwarf warriors unless they have a "stupidity=strength" or something rule that makes them easy to control. While actually being able to beat a CD warrior 1 to 1.
CDs aren't about 'who's the biggest' though. They're civilised, in the sense they place value on a functioning society with certain laws, albeit a brutal and precarious one. 'More important' for CDs likely means richer, having greater influence over others, or being a sorcerer and hence part of the ruling caste. It likely has very little to do with how good you are at breaking heads, although that does make you useful to someone higher up. It makes perfect sense that the best fighters are also a commodity to be directed and bartered by those in charge who do not risk themselves unless absolutely necessary. Kinda like the real world actually.

Baggronor
I entirely agree, but my argument is a narrow one only applying to the relative social positions this new unit would have when compared to hobgoblins and chaos dwarf warriors, not anyone further up the food chain like a Sorcerer.

It makes the most sense to me to have the points/state and social positions match up in a system as high structured as the chaos dwarfs.

Another simple example would be If there was a new "magic user" that upset the "oldest is the most powerful (socially and when practically using magic)" hierarchy that has been established in the lore.

I am sure the answer will make sense within whatever the new content is how it squares with the existing lore/lists we will see.

Thommy H:

Another simple example would be If there was a new "magic user" that upset the "oldest is the most powerful (socially and when practically using magic)" hierarchy that has been established in the lore.
Ghorth. He's not the oldest and not the High Priest, but has gathered the most influence in Zharr-Naggrund. Like Cornixt says, the seeds are there in the fluff for a lot of this kind of stuff - I have absolutely no problem with Chaos Dwarf Warriors that are owned enough to be considered slaves: that kind of thing is the cornerstone of my vision of Chaos Dwarf society. But I just don't have a lot of faith that this fluff will be that sophisticated! Not that I'm suggesting I'm a better writer than the Forge World guys but...okay, I guess that is what I'm suggesting...

KingFisher:

Ghorth. He's not the oldest and not the High Priest, but has gathered the most influence in Zharr-Naggrund. Like Cornixt says, the seeds are there in the fluff for a lot of this kind of stuff - I have absolutely no problem with Chaos Dwarf Warriors that are owned enough to be considered slaves: that kind of thing is the cornerstone of my vision of Chaos Dwarf society. But I just don't have a lot of faith that this fluff will be that sophisticated! Not that I'm suggesting I'm a better writer than the Forge World guys but...okay, I guess that is what I'm suggesting...

Thommy H
You are right my memory was incorrect.

Mr Saturday:

My fear here is that the chaos dwarves are somehow slaves to the other chaos powers and their followers. I would find that hard to reconcile with the existing lore.

It’s rather fun pondering over these juicy new morsels, isn’t it?

Thommy H:

Actually, I think Cornixt was onto something when he mentioned what we know of the other fluff in the book. Unfortunately for you, Mr Saturday, it looks like the Chaos Dwarfs might indeed be slaves - but I think the idea is that this is something that happens when Tamurkhan (or whoever he is) invades the Plain of Zharr. Remember that this is supposed to be some kind of apocalyptic scenario that brings the Warhammer World to its knees - like Warhammer Forge’s own version of Storm of Chaos. It’s not a permanent change to the setting, just like Forge World’s Badab War supplement is not the official story of those events in 40K history.

Forge World is about on the same level as the Black Library in terms of how canon it is, I’d say. You can take it or leave it.

Mr Saturday:

I think I’ll be able to live with it, I’m so damn curious about it now though.

wallacer:

It doesn’t necessarily follow that just because slaves didn’t tend to be well trained and equipped in our world that they wouldn’t be in the CD world.

Some of them may have been soldiers before they became slaves.

It is also possible that the likelihood of them rebelling is lessened in a world with magic, perhaps because the CD sorcerors have some means of simply killing them if they rebel.  Or because they’ve lobotomised them or fried their brains somehow.

Or perhaps all the CD are slaves now that Mister T has come along.

I’m guessing the option for CD slaves may be there because GW wanted to get rid of slaves from the Orcs and Goblins book, and because they envisage Hobgoblins as allies (of a sort) rather than slaves.

Looking forward to reading that book…

tjub:

Oh, this sounds so cool… I do hope this book will be as good as it can be! July is not that far away… :slight_smile:

Barth:

some more rumors :wink:

Chaos Dwarfs do have them as a list that you can use them on there own, bull centaurs are monstrous beasts and hob goblins are in!

blunderbuss have extra rules for the size of the unit. a unit 10+ gets no modifiers for long range or stand and shoot a unit 20+ also gets to reroll to hit or wound (sorry cant remember which).

led 571
Only strength 3 with armour piecing and can’t remember the range, they where saying it should be going to the printers in July.

led 571
That reminds me, Alan Bligh the author of the new Tamurkhan book mentioned that the Chaos Dwarves would have a special character Great Taurus in addition to the standard one and that these would now be constructs powered by bound fire demons. He also said there would a monstrous infantry incarnation of these so giant flame filled suits of animated armour!

Valaraukar via Kroothawk
source

Loki:

Thsi sounds very cool , cant wait to get my hands on this book and have a good read :smiley:

Mr Saturday:

He also said there would a monstrous infantry incarnation of these so giant flame filled suits of animated armour!
And that's what I wanted to hear.

Bassman:

New rules for blunderbusses? Fire golems? Hobgoblins? Rumors sound juicy… I think all of us can deal with the changes in fluff :wink:

I do not like everything but… who cares? Mine will never be slaves :smiley: only mine… Uahuahuah :wink:

Barth:

and more:

- The next Warhammer Forge book is bretonian Vs. Khemri (in case you didnt know), plans for more chaos dwarf stuff as the sculpters sounded like they where gagging to do more models for them. they were alsready looking absolutly AMAZING.

reu666

Necrotique:

I don’t agree with all these ideas, but the whole “slaves” idea fits perfectly with my view of them.

I always saw them as a rather Dark-Elf-like society in that the sell-swords are literally “sold” into service and have to follow any masters whims.

I’d also love to see the house-wars that the dark elves from many fantasy universes partake in (Malus Darkblade or Drizzt anyone?)

Rather happy with the outcome, just hoping that they don’t let the CDs appear submissive to the rest of the “chaos” factions.

Just my two cents

:cheers

Sanguinarian:

I actually quite like the idea of "elites" that are actually a despised underclass, driven insane by awful treatment. There's no reason they wouldn't be better fighters, assuming they had really brutal training and did nothing but fight. It's a neat twist - I'm just not completely sure some of the details work with the existing background.

Thommy H
It actually reminds me of Ancient Roman Gladiators. Most were effectively slaves, but would be provided certain "bonuses" (extra armour for example) depending on exactly why they were slaves and how well they fought. I'd have no problem with that concept, though I admit the possibility of the Chaos dwarfs being enslaved to another power doesn't sit well with me.

Having said that, part of the beauty of Warhammer is that if a bit of fluff doesn't suit you, you can simply change it with your own army. My own Chaos Dwarfs have a few mutants with insect/arachnid qualities and various captured beasts (including a scratch built beholder I currently use as an organ gun/daemon engine/eruption gun :cheers). It's not particularly in line with established Chaos Dwarf fluff, but it's something I personally liked the idea of.

Personally I'm just looking forward to owning "Official" rules for my army. If they aren't to my liking I'll just keep them as another option open to me.

Mr Saturday:

Personally I'm just looking forward to owning "Official" rules for my army. If they aren't to my liking I'll just keep them as another option open to me.
That's my plan, I'm getting quite attached to the Indy GT list, but I'm very much looking forward to these rules.