[Archive] Chaos Dwarf Army List Info - Tamurkhan

ashur:

I actually quite like the idea of "elites" that are actually a despised underclass, driven insane by awful treatment. There's no reason they wouldn't be better fighters, assuming they had really brutal training and did nothing but fight. It's a neat twist - I'm just not completely sure some of the details work with the existing background.

Thommy H
It actually reminds me of Ancient Roman Gladiators. Most were effectively slaves, but would be provided certain "bonuses" (extra armour for example) depending on exactly why they were slaves and how well they fought. I'd have no problem with that concept, though I admit the possibility of the Chaos dwarfs being enslaved to another power doesn't sit well with me.

Having said that, part of the beauty of Warhammer is that if a bit of fluff doesn't suit you, you can simply change it with your own army. My own Chaos Dwarfs have a few mutants with insect/arachnid qualities and various captured beasts (including a scratch built beholder I currently use as an organ gun/daemon engine/eruption gun :cheers). It's not particularly in line with established Chaos Dwarf fluff, but it's something I personally liked the idea of.

Personally I'm just looking forward to owning "Official" rules for my army. If they aren't to my liking I'll just keep them as another option open to me.

Sanguinarian
It remind me of the ottoman yeniceri. Christian slaves most of them, trained and educated by the sultanate in odrer to turn them into a strong loyal elite. As slaves, the sultan manage for a time to keep a firm hold on them.

ashur:

and more:
- The next Warhammer Forge book is bretonian Vs. Khemri (in case you didnt know), plans for more chaos dwarf stuff as the sculpters sounded like they where gagging to do more models for them. they were alsready looking absolutly AMAZING.

reu666

Barth
This make sense, since they just realeased the new TK. With a little luck, we will see some towering bone creatures from FW.

KingFisher:

"The War-mammoth has the option for a Warshrine on it’s back instead of the howdah, these can be given a mark of chaos. A war-mammoth, with warshrine of Tzeentch comes in at 46 Chaos Warriors"

What does that mean?

someone give me a tldr about how a warshrine works?

Thommy H:

Warriors of Chaos have something called the Eye of the Gods - a table of mutations and other boons that you roll on when a character or champion kills an enemy character in a challenge or kills a model with the Large Target rule. Trolls also get to roll on it if they regenerate too much. A Warshrine is a sort of mobile altar (that functions as a Monster for simplicity) that has a rule allowing any unit within range to make an Eye of the Gods roll. I would assume that the War Mammoth has that same rule if you give it a Warshrine instead of the howdah. That’s exactly how I’d do it anyway.

The thing about “46 Chaos Warriors” means that that unit (War Mammoth + Warshrine + MoT) costs an amount equal to 46 times the base cost of a Chaos Warrior.

Hashut’s Blessing:

The way that I was reading the armour thing was more a sort of permanent entrapment in it - like Chaos Armour (without the sudden lack of necessity to urinate, excrete, feed and breathe) or Iron Masks (from real life), but a full suit (maybe helmet taken off to feed them and once a week allowed to empty the suit). That would be the punishment as much as being owned. However, after thinking about it, it sounds more like they’re slaves to the Chaos forces (rather than mercenaries as I expected them to be).

As for the 46 Chaos Warriors, it’s trying to avoid giving the points cost, whilst letting people know its points cost, lol.

Overall, a lot of the things sound good to me. The only jarring item is the fact the the Infernal Guard are slaves. Although, it’s actually very common in real world history that slaves would be used as bodyguards to their captors.

Time of Madness:

First post updated with more rumours.

Time of Madness

Necrotique:

I really hope they’re not going to be slaves to other Chaos “factions”… they can’t have been brooding around for near a decade getting enslaved. That’d just not be cool.

:cheers

Thommy H:

Just to reiterate: it appears that the narrative of the book’s campaign features Chaos Dwarfs being conquered and subjagated by a Chaos Lord. So it’s not that Chaos Dwarfs are normally slaves of other Chaos forces, rather the enslaving is something that happens as part of the plot. The conquest of some or all of the Chaos Dwarf empire is what the campaign is about.

Ergo, the version of Chaos Dwarfs represented by these rules is necessarily a “snapshot” of a certain (future? Alternate?) period in their history. This is how most of Forge World’s rules work. These are campaign army lists, not general army lists. So no Chaos Dwarf player should feel tied to having to use them as slaves just because that’s what this list says they are.

Baggronor:

I also heard this isn’t actually a generic CD list but rather the army of a particular CD sorcerer detailed in the plot, who presumably ends up losing and having to fight for the Chaos Lord.

Thommy H:

Yeah, that’s my impression too. I’m still trying to decide if the elements of this list that are exactly like mine are a case of two independent minds following the same path of inspiration from the source material or some sort of special GW psychic spying device that’s been implanted in my head.

Got to be one or the other.

Mr Saturday:

Option 2 sounds more exciting, you should go with that.

Bassman:

What could happen to a psycher that dares to enter into Tommy H mind? We probably do not want to know :wink:

Thommy H:

Hey, I just realised that if the Chaos Dwarfs are supposed to be an allied contingent for the Chaos Warriors that are only incidentally a playable list in their own right, this means I can field my Warriors of Chaos and Chaos Dwarfs as one massive army…

cornixt:

I'm still trying to decide if the elements of this list that are exactly like mine are a case of two independent minds following the same path of inspiration from the source material or some sort of special GW psychic spying device that's been implanted in my head.

Got to be one or the other.

Thommy H
Given how similar your ideas are to mine, I'd say the former has a good chance, but the latter one appeals to my schizophrenia.

Nicodemus:

this means I can field my Warriors of Chaos and Chaos Dwarfs as one massive army...

Thommy H
Oh yes!! I've been working on my Chaos Warriors since Xmas when I realized this too. Will help with legitimately including the Hellcannon and some of the other toys in there too ;)

Tarrakk Blackhand:

OH NO! So that means I have to get yet another army! AAAHHHGGGGHHH!

Da Crusha:

I have a bit of disappointment when thinking about fielding my WoC next to my CD’s. I have been fielding only cd’s at tournaments for a few years now and I don’t want them to become a piece of another army.

Thommy H:

Isn’t this whole thread about how they can be used as a standalone force?

wallacer:

Yup

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

KingFisher:

Isn't this whole thread about how they can be used as a standalone force?

Thommy H
Since rick is no longer with FW it means the multi book chaos series is getting cut down to a single book.

The next FW book will be TK vs Bretts.
which makes business sense because of the TK reboot OK's next (the greens then deads then fats rumor) and then Brett's. This would get the worst out of date armies back up to speed (8th broke TK magic an Brett Cav).

Therefore the Tamurkhan book had to be re-written to be a single campaign book and not part of a larger series. Since the centerpiece of the book/campaign is clearly the chaos dwarf force it is logical to condense the future chaos dwarf updates down into this single book and package it as a "not an army book ;)". This is why we have not seen anything on the bull centaurs and hobgoblins besides concept art.
These units would have been released in the later chaos books.

This also jives with the report if the FW folks being excited to finish up all the chaos dwarf models. Infact it makes much better business sense to salvage a complete "army book" out of the project which will create business from the chaos dwarf user base for a decade. Rather then just release a land train as component only useful for the campaign scenarios.

That is why all the old rumors said "no core troops no rank and file" because chaos dwarfs were just the "hell cannons" of this invasion.
Now we get the full content from the complete chaos book line pulled forward for us to use.

Sort of awesome for us, Make sense?