[Archive] Chaos Dwarf Regiment of Renown Contest

Grimstonefire:

That was how I was thinking about this.  Mostly rules balancing comes from discussing things with a lot of people to get lots of opinions.  That was obviously impossible for this contest, meaning we were all stuck at producing version #1, without the benefits of opinions and playtesting to get to version #2.

Baggronor:

i call them childish then it is not my problem
But it should be your problem really, shouldn't it? You are the one being rude and abrasive.
I am not insulting, i am strict, i have certain standards, and i am upholding them
Then perhaps you should demonstrate these standards through your own contributions to the site. I'm sure Thommy sees fault in much of the fluff on this site, but you don't see him slagging people off for their writing. Same goes for Grim's conversion work, or indeed any of the other members here. Tbh there is no reason why your 'standards' need apply to anyone else anyway.
To tell about everything i see "oh how nice!! <3 xddd" i am not emo.
And please dont get all "selfrighteus" for point you out lackings in your work, if there are lacking.
You always have the option of remaining silent. If I sounded off about every piece of artwork or sculpting or army painting I saw fault in, pointing out everything that I perceived to be 'lacking' and not offering any helpful advice or encouragement, I would be a complete tosser. As it happens, I prefer to try and offer encouragement, especially where I see improvements can be made; no one improves if they are only given negative feedback, it just demoralises them.
shall i continue?
Please do not.

Thommy H:

My concern is to write truthfully what i think,
No, your concern is to act politely and show a certain amount of restraint when dealing with others. That's the concern we all have - those of us that exist in a society, anyway. There's such a thing as diplomacy. I get very frustrated when people hide behind phrases like "take me as you find me" and "I'm only saying what's on my mind". We all have a duty to think about what we say and how others perceive that - not just here, but in the world as a whole.

You're welcome to express your poorly-thought-out and borderline irrational opinions, Gar, but we're also welcome to tell you you're an ass when you do it. And when that happens, a disagreement starts, so maybe it would be wiser if you heeded the words of members and staff in this situation and kept some of your more blunt criticisms to yourself.

Gar Shadowfame:

Artistic writing is an art, art is disputable, and personal, and i am no linguist to discuss fluff.

Game rules are different.

My option to remain silent is also another person’s option not to publish.

I see you preffer to offer false encouragement instead of telling people that they go in wrong direction hoping they will find it out themselves so you cant be called impolite , demoralisating or “a tosser”,  please accept my deepest condolences for choices you make.

do you disagree on points i made on balancing?

No, your concern is to act politely and show a certain amount of restraint when dealing with others.
then be kind enough to appologise me for telling me so rudely to be quite a fw posts earlier.

And points are helping to balance out armies in wide sense, ( so 1000pts army= 1000pts army), and are ment for individual balancing inside each individual army,  but 200 pts worth of one unit is not equal to 200pts worth of diferent unit, and it will never be.

Thommy H:

I didn’t tell you to shut up rudely - in fact, I made a point of being polite about it.

Out of curiosity: you keep saying that all but one of the entries are unbalanced. Which one is it that meets your approval in that regard?

BilboBaggins:

And points are helping to balance out armies in wide sense, ( so 1000pts army= 1000pts army), and are ment for individual balancing inside each individual army,  but 200 pts worth of one unit is not equal to 200pts worth of diferent unit, and it will never be.

Gar Shadowfame
[off topic]On that I feel you are wrong. Two Units or Two Armies of the same points should be balanced that they have an equal chance in the game. Your thinking is what is wrong with the current army books and leads to power gamers at tournaments. You should be able to use all the units in the books and not have it that people never use half the book because it's useless.

You don't have to be so nasty to people who are trying to have fun making a unit for a contest.[/off topic]

Regiments of Renown are there to fill gaps in armies. I try to include fan made ones in every issue of TDS. When received we check the points given to see if they are where GW would most likely have them at.

I'm wondering about which one you thought was balanced, I'm thinking it's not the one I know was checked several times before submitting to make sure the points value was correct. (Yes, the one I submitted. :D)

Gar Shadowfame:

On that I feel you are wrong. Two Units or Two Armies of the same points should be balanced that they have an equal chance in the game. Your thinking is what is wrong with the current army books and leads to power gamers at tournaments. You should be able to use all the units in the books and not have it that people never use half the book because it's useless.
Nope, cus then game would be call chess.
80 pts of dwarf warrior doesnt equals with 80 post of fast calwary with missile weapon.
300pts of rhinox riders doesnt equals 300 in tomb wraiths.
giant vs waywatchers

RoR is the idea that doesnt exist in 7th ed rulebooks, and their purpose isnt to fill gaps, they are way to add colour to the army.

Luca Gozzadini and Khazharn Firestorm-only moderate entry with both balancing and fluff.

Thommy H:

Luca Gozzadini and Khazharn Firestorm-only moderate entry with both balancing and fluff.
Haha. Excellent.

Gar Shadowfame:

Did it got your vote too? I think it has best thought over rules, and they are what ror are, a fluffy addition, not game breaking must have.

Thommy H:

No, I don’t vote for my own entries in competitions.

Baggronor:

I see you preffer to offer false encouragement instead of telling people that they go in wrong direction hoping they will find it out themselves so you cant be called impolite , demoralisating or "a tosser", please accept my deepest condolences for choices you make.
Well, I would point out that my pitiable choices don't get me berated by an entire thread full of people. Multiple times. Some of the people I offer pleasant advice to might even get better as a result, the same way I got better by receiving helpful comments from people better than me. Coincidence? Encouraging someone so they can improve - how is this false or misleading? Its not about me, its about them. The notion that I only offer positive feedback in order to avoid being disliked by a bunch of people I will likely never meet is just daft: if I disapprove, I can say it, the difference being that I will say it without being rude. Its the difference between constructive criticism and just being obnoxious; the difference between saying "I think this is OTT because of this" and just going "You all suck because you failed to make something that I think is good".

BilboBaggins:

Nope, cus then game would be call chess.
80 pts of dwarf warrior doesnt equals with 80 post of fast calwary with missile weapon.
300pts of rhinox riders doesnt equals 300 in tomb wraiths.
giant vs waywatchers

RoR is the idea that doesnt exist in 7th ed rulebooks, and their purpose isnt to fill gaps, they are way to add colour to the army.

Gar Shadowfame
Chess is what Warhammer has been decsribed as by GW employees. Warhammer is a larger game of CHESS. :D War is CHESS games.

Thommy H:

Well, to play devil’s advocate, units don’t exist in a vacuum. A Steam Tank against

Gar Shadowfame:

It is not about cost, certain combinations are too gamebreaking to be introducent even at theorethicaly appropriate cost.

Well how d u expect to cost units for every army since in some armies same units costs vary, because of internal balance?

u overprice them.

Rhinoxen would get wiped in 2-3 combat phases.

And 90pts of dwarf warriors is nothing but a core selection filler. Fast cav has much more uses, and with missile weapons would kill then infantry of the same points value.

cornixt:

Why some unit has a WARD save, how many units in whole game have ward save ( demons are exception cos they lack normal saves on units).

Gar Shadowfame
These are RoR, not regular units, so untypical abilities are desired. Ward saves against magical attacks is just another way of giving magical resistance. On another unit that has no armour, it gives a little more protection than naked skin, like warpaint on Savage Orcs. There's more than a few magic items that also give ward saves, even to whole units. Same for flaming attacks. If this was about inventing a regular army unit, then your comments would have relevance, but it isn't.

I'm starting to think we should just delete your needlessly rude and unconstructive criticism, because whenever you explain, it doesn't make any sense anyway.

Willmark:

thommy, be kind enough not te tell me to shut up,
i think i said it earlier
publishing= judgement, someone doesnt like judgement, dont publish, dont expect to be praised for a bad work.

When the contest was anounced i noticed that there a mention about game balancing.
The fact that all home made game designers (besides 1) didnt read about balancing is not of my concern.
My concern is to write truthfully what i think,

now again   adding unbalanced rules to good idea is childish because it lacks perspective, it is a feature and if someone feels offended that beacuse they acted childish i call them childish then it is not my problem, play adults and i call you adults. Is that a problem?

And please dont stuff the forum rules in my face. I am not insulting, i am strict, i have certain standards, and i am upholding them, i cant say about bad or simply not well though job "good job" is this what admins expect me to do.
To tell about everything i see "oh how nice!! <3 xddd"  i am not emo.
And please dont get all "selfrighteus" for point you out lackings in your work, if there are lacking.

Gar Shadowfame
None of this rant has anything to do with being polite, which you will do so on this site if you want to continue to participate. I don't care if you don't like someone's rules, I don't care if you don't like someone's painting, what have you. Voice construction criticism as to how it can be improved.

What I do care about and enforce (as does the rest of the staff) is keeping this forum a healthy, tolerant and welcoming place. If it becomes unwelcoming for you personally there will be only one person to blame. Am I making myself perfectly clear in this matter?

Note I'm not looking for a smart-alec answer back, I'm looking for "Yep, I got it and message received".

Gar Shadowfame:

Then you cant get what u’re looking for, and next time you try to show of how administrative you are pronounce competition rules so the requirements will not compromise site rules.

Competition clearly required balanced rulesset for the entry, by saying all are overpowered i cleary state that these entres are not balanced. Is it wrong to say somebody didnt do what he wanted, no it is not, it is part of competition to make it balanced, i cant be held responsible for someone not doing it.

Is what i say my oppinion yes it is.

Willmark did you entered your proposal into the competition?

Thommy H:

Hey, did anyone ever see that Simpsons episode where Lisa does a science experiment with an electrified cupcake? And the hamster learns first time, but Bart just keeps grabbing the thing?

Yeah.

Baggronor:

Then you cant get what u're looking for, and next time you try to show of how administrative you are pronounce competition rules so the requirements will not compromise site rules.
Dude, its probably wise to not backchat the admins. Seriously. This is me offering more of that helpful advice thing.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Gar Shadowfame, you have been informally warned an incredulous number of times and are repeatedly sterring this topic off from its subject. Others have kindly, and less-kindly (as a direct response to your own attitude), tried to steer you into being a decent member of this forum. You are being rude, unnecessarily, then complaining when others treat you in a same, but more reserved manner. You are backchatting to staff, you are claiming that we are trying to “show off” our positions and “throwing forum rules in your face”, when in actuality, we are trying to gently remind you of the rules, that you are so clearly ignoring, repeatedly, and trying to make you aware of the consequences of your current actions if they continue.

I imagine that the vast majority of the people looking and posting in this thread are growing very tiresome of your endless ignorance (note: ignorance, not stupidity. You are paying no attention to what is presented before you, rather than not understanding it.).

I would also like to point out that you have said that you are unwilling to be what we expect (the forum’s standards), yet you still wish to remain posting and making the forum and its members fit your standards (which are, no matter how much any member likes it and no matter which member’s standards they are, less important than the standards of the forum). Either bring yourself in line or leave: This ultimatum is for everyone to be able to enjoy it. If you aren’t keeping to the forum’s standards, you won’t enjoy your time here, which would be nobody’s fault but your own.

If you make another post in this topic, it had better be on-topic or there will be serious words with the staff as a whole. Everyone else, please try to post on topic and ignore the inane behaviour that has been presented (by both parties) and bring this thread back to its fun and BENEFICIAL, not derogatory, state.

Note: The above is not a request.

Thank you and apologies for seeming stern, but it is growing wearisome and I would like for everyone to be able to simply enjoy this.