[Archive] Chaos Dwarf Technology

dedwrekka:

I’ve been thinking a bit on the direction to take my Chaos Dwarf Army, thematically at least. As I was looking at what the Chaos Dwarfs have invented (Earthshaker, Hellcannon, Black Orcs), I began to think more and more about where to place Chaos Dwarf technology.

Surely they have steam technology as evidenced by the Earthshaker, which was originally a giant steam cannon. They definitely have the ability to warp and control flesh somewhat like the skaven, as evidenced by the creation of the Black Orcs* and the Hellcannon’s description of being made partially of warped demon flesh. The Hellcannon factors in yet again as proving that they have technology to control and influence demons.

I’m not sure they qualify as Steampunk, Magepunk or demon summoners. They seem more like mad scientists than one or the other. They dabble in a bit of everything!

What are your thoughts on the Chaos Dwarfs technologically?

*Actually I think that the evidence (or lack there-of) of Black Orc shamans proves that they’re more likely created than “bred” in any fashion.

Willmark:

There really is no wrong way to display or create your army. If you want them to be more hitech then go for it.

Kera foehunter:

well with my pirate army i though on the same lines of these decisions when it came to my war machine.

so i though to have a more like a curst crew like the people of the black pear( pirates of the carb.)

it more like they are twisted by the chaos energy but yet they will become part of the ship or machine the longer they live… so i tried to stay away from technolgy

steam punk would be cool to but i see that more dwarfish

Sojourn:

I actually must disagree with my sister over here. I think steampunk isn’t as appropriate. I was under the impression that CDs were very ‘revolutionary’ and industrial. Steampunk always reminds me of something much older and antiquated. it’s almost incongruent with the image I have of CDs, also because their technology seems much more powerful than steampunk would allow.

that’s not to say your CDs couldn’t be steampunk, but I think other options are more… sinister? more… darn, can’t think of the word. just more fitting I guess. And sure, steampunk CDs would be awesome looking… then you can use that steampunk dragon!

snowblizz:

Steampunk always reminds me of something much older and antiquated. it's almost incongruent with the image I have of CDs, also because their technology seems much more powerful than steampunk would allow.

Sojourn
This must be the first time I've seen anyone use the term "punk" as old and antiquated. I bet Sex Pistols are ready to put those pistols to their foreheads.:)

Chaos Dwarfs are very much "Dark Side of Technology". If you get my drift. Anything and everything bad about industrial revolution, like the early 19/20th century "future visions".

Deamonpunk perhaps? They have a lot of the 40k imagery (vis a vis technology, except they actually know what they do) about them really.

Dwarfs seem more to embody "positive industrialism" it is all cheerful, labour saving and clean. While CD's are more dark, oily and black. There was an article on the history of oildrilling in a popular sciences magazine that had some pictures of the early oilfields in Azerbadjan which looks very much what I'd imagine the CDs leave after themselves. You do not want to live there...

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

I see CD as more the Deamonic binders then the Steam engineers as if they left that behind them when they turn to the Dark Side

As for the Earthshaker I don’t know what to think about that but if you want you could say that it all is Deamonic for example Death Rockets have unstable Deamonic energy in them that go of on impact? I think that Empire and Dwarfs should be the only with Steam power any more and the Fantersy setting will be lost

Ubertechie:

I think there are 2 drivers to CD technology

1 necessity they where cut of so needed some serious firepower to replace existing weapons e.g. Blunderbuss vs dwarf handgun

2 their evil nature and delighting in causing pain as in the hellcannon which eats people and fires their essence to disintegrate others

I guess I think of them as evil artificers

WhyNotCrashDifferently?:

Taking the mad scientist approach, myself. Really ran with the idea of daemon-bound warmachines introduced with the Hellcannon as all six of my warmachines (building my army around the Dwarf list) are part daemon, plus lots of gears and levers and junk as I do have a bit of a steampunk fetish.

Not being bound by the creeds, traditions, and inhibitions of the Dwarf engineers guild, and having access to crazy daemon-summoning magic, the sky really is the limit and some of the zaniest-looking kit should come out of the Chaos Dwarf factories, I think.

My Deathrocket has legs.

Swissdictator:

I like what Snowblizz is saying about the “dark side” of Industrialism. I also see a bit of a mythical element thrown in with arcane workings (runes, demons, etc) to allows them to ‘bend’ physics so to speak. It allows them to be far more creative and destructive. Perhaps at the cost of many Hobgoblin ‘souls’, not that we care about Hobgoblins. :wink:

It seems that they cane make far more out of what is available to them, with their arcane abilities, then they otherwise could. Even more so then their western traitorous cousins. They’re ruthlessly efficient. With a low population and a wasteland for a home, they’ve not only managed to survive, but they thrive. They’re a strong secluded power that, for now, maintains their isolation very effectively. For any power to do that is truly amazing.

Ghrask Dragh:

I think Chaos Dwarfs should be one of the most advanced races in the Warhamer World, as far as the industrial side of it goes.

I’m sure I have seen Dwarf trains in some of the WAR pics and scenery (might not have WAR) so if they can do it why can’t we. If you take into consideration the Dwarf aspect of our personality we could easily match their technology and then add to that our knowledge of the dark arts and our willingness to sacrific lives to further our cause we could come up with the some of the craziest stuff in the whole Warhammer World. For god sake why don’t GW redo us, we have so much to offer!

GRNDL:

@Sojourn

The idea of “steampunk” stemmed from the idea that technology advanced solidly from a victorian-era base of technology, essentially the Industrial Revolution in the 19th Century. I think “The Difference Engine” by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling set the tone. In particular, it was the idea that technology advanced 100 years earlier than it did in real life, due to the availability of mechanical computers like the Babbage calculation engine, which didn’t really work. Since then, though, its become a power unto itself and has many different “flavours” including magical steampunk (like the video game, Arcanum).

So, to cut to my point, steampunk is industrial!! Its just the way you generally see steampunk is “high-society”, the product of “gentlemanly engineering”, because the industrial revolution came during the victorian era, which was a golden age of thought and science.

I think this is what you think of when you think steampunk:

http://www.wetanz.com/rayguns/

And if you read the testamonials, check out Donovan Goldwater’s. :slight_smile: I had a hand in that.

Sojourn:

no, not even guys. hrm, I’m so bad at getting what’s in my head out. lol

I see steampunk in a lot of wood, brass, gold hues… essentially warm colours. All of this has a very antique feel and appearance. and yes, GRNDL a “victorian era” feel. but I picture CDs with steel, metal, dark colours and cool colours… it’s just very contrasting to me I suppose.

PS - snowblizz… it’s not the Sex Steampunk-Pistols… different style I think :wink:

GRNDL:

@Sojourn

Well, I think Steampunk is industrial, but not all industrial is steampunk. I think the steampunk feel you’re describing is where its gone in recent years, as depicted on sites like Brass Goggles (Brass Goggles:The lighter side of Steampunk), but that’s like saying there’s only one kind of cheese.

dedwrekka:

no, not even guys. hrm, I'm so bad at getting what's in my head out. lol

I see steampunk in a lot of wood, brass, gold hues... essentially warm colours. All of this has a very antique feel and appearance. and yes, GRNDL a "victorian era" feel. but I picture CDs with steel, metal, dark colours and cool colours... it's just very contrasting to me I suppose.

PS - snowblizz... it's not the Sex Steampunk-Pistols... different style I think ;)

Sojourn
Sounds like the world envisioned in Whitechapel Gods (Which I'm reading).

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

I'm sure I have seen Dwarf trains in some of the WAR pics and scenery (might not have WAR) so if they can do it why can't we. If you take into consideration the Dwarf aspect of our personality we could easily match their technology and then add to that our knowledge of the dark arts and our willingness to sacrific lives to further our cause we could come up with the some of the craziest stuff in the whole Warhammer World. For god sake why don't GW redo us, we have so much to offer!

Ghrask Dragh
I don't think that CD needs trains it just dosen't fit there style AFAIK Dwarfs use the trains to get around the mines easier CD don't need this (although it would help them get around a bit better)

IMO CD must need something, to make something, for example Empire and Dwarf engineer make all sorts of stuff and test them out as for CD they only make to find a solution for a certain problem

Ghrask Dragh:

I see what your saying Godbob but I think we could, think how fast we could transport our warmachines either to warzones or to be traded with Chaos.

Speaking of steampunk…

…any excuse to post these :smiley: Check out his gallery

I think we could make good use out of the drill, would help out with mining. Hell if ther skaven could think up this stuff surely we could!

snowblizz:

I forgot to include this link to an on-line comic:

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/

Maybe you are familiar with it. It has that steam engine death ray vibe all over it. It’s awesome.

Zanko:

I think the kind of technology you prefer (Steampunk, Industrial, “common Dwarvish”) depends on the style of your minis and your paint scheme!

I assume to my 3rd Editon CD would “Steampunk” in combination with a “Hordes”-style fit brilliant - though not so good to a BigHat company.

To them an “Industrial”-style will apply much better - but that´s my own decent opinion!

:hashut

Maul:

I am going to have agree with Sojourn. When I think of steam punk, I think of hodgepodge construction, an amalgamation of wood and steal, and get a lighter hearted feel and a bit more cartoonish. With chaos dwarves it feels much darker. It is like Isengard and the Golden Key’s evil bastard child.

Envision great demons writhing and twisting under the strength of fowl black enchanted chains. Wailing and loud palpating bestial sounds crackle though the air as souls are being cut away from these great magic beings by guillotines that are dark as suit and suck the light around into them. Think of the back drop of great caverns and fissures within the earth choked with heat and ash from the forges and inter workings of a spider work of caverns. With throngs of slaves moving back and forth digging for mineral, cowering under the crack of the oppressors whips, and dying for the whims of their masters. The chaos dwarves are not wasteful so they use this waste stream of broken dead slaves as raw material for their malicious creations. Above the din of the warrens on the surface rises a mighty walled ziggurat built of stones only teams of giants could have moved. At the top stands a monolith of living stone and coursing magma, a being of Hashut’s imagination, a gargantuan bull with the essence of hatred and jealousy in its eyes and wrapped in the heat venting from the entire underground labyrinth around it.

That is what I see when I think of Chaos Dwarves. I am sorry steam punk is just too soft a word. It is like the difference between the Joker of very old television series and the one Heath Ledger envisioned.

dedwrekka:

I'm sure I have seen Dwarf trains in some of the WAR pics and scenery (might not have WAR) so if they can do it why can't we. If you take into consideration the Dwarf aspect of our personality we could easily match their technology and then add to that our knowledge of the dark arts and our willingness to sacrific lives to further our cause we could come up with the some of the craziest stuff in the whole Warhammer World. For god sake why don't GW redo us, we have so much to offer!

Ghrask Dragh
I don't think that CD needs trains it just dosen't fit there style AFAIK Dwarfs use the trains to get around the mines easier CD don't need this (although it would help them get around a bit better)

IMO CD must need something, to make something, for example Empire and Dwarf engineer make all sorts of stuff and test them out as for CD they only make to find a solution for a certain problem

Godbob and his jolly rogers
Well, they did try to blow up the Dwarfs with a giant rocket, and the Chaos Dwarfs don't necessarily need a lot of the weaponry that they have, being more interested in slaving and capturing than destroying, I'd have to question the Kollosus as being a necessity.
I forgot to include this link to an on-line comic:
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/

Maybe you are familiar with it. It has that steam engine death ray vibe all over it. It's awesome.

snowblizz
I'm an avid reader of it, and I think the technology would be close to chaos dwarfs, but the CD would have a much darker and twisted feel to it (Something like the old Heterodynes in the comic).