[Archive] Chaos Dwarfs- Gunline problem?

grunts:

I just tried a gunline yesterday because I was tired of being massacred. It worked REAL well. a level 4, level 2, hero, and bsb. 3 units of 15 blunders, a unit of great weapon warriors (just in case), 4 BTs, 2 deathrockets and and earthshaker, plus 12 naked hobs as point filler/bait.

Instead of being massacred, I got a massacre. yay!

AGPO:

Sure there are some cool people at the stores, but those are as rare as a shower for the trench coat wearing crowd that infestates said establishment.

Wilmark
Too true and too funny! It all comes down to what type of game your opponent is expecting and whether you mind never playing them again if they don't have fun. Some people it is worth fielding a truly cheesy list against to teach them for being such whinging gits
While Blunderbusses are powerful, they are short ranged and move or fire. Also Dwarves of any kind aren't known for their swiftness(M3).

BLOOD AXEBlunders can in fact move and shoot, which is what makes the lore of shadows so good (though not as much as 6th edition) Almost as good as the 6th ed 40" move daemon prince.

torn:

as far as im concerned i dont think any list is cheesy, as long as it hasnt been specifically altered to suit a single game against a particular opponent. If its 2 random armies fighting off against each other, and your opponent cant seem to figure out the fairly simple tactics it takes to beat any non-balanced army, then shame on them. fair enough if the gunline player gets a lot of good rolls you might just get slaughtered, but otherwise its not too hard.

BLOOD AXE:

You are right AGPO. I was looking at the old Blunderbuss rules in WD #163. The rules are different in the GW PDF file. I think alot of things are going to change when the Chaos Dwarfs get a rewrite. No way will Blunderbusses be 12 points and move & fire, heavy armor,etc.:frowning:

AGPO:

You’re forgetting that n most senarios, bluders need that move or fire or with their range they’d get one shot if that. I think the short range is a pretty hefty restriction personally. Like so many units they’re devastating if used correctly

BLOOD AXE:

It just seems too much for 12 points to me.(Blunderbusses)

Servant of Chaos:

I agree with torn. The only really cheesy lists are ones specifically modified to play against another army. If you have good critical thinking then it should be possible to outsmart your opponent and win, no matter what their list is like.

Kera foehunter:

12 point blunderbuss to much. Heck thunders are 14pt and 55pt for a lead belcher.

AGPO:

Thunderers have a much longer range, and they can take shields. Besides, cross army comparisons are fairly pointless - its how much use a unit is to YOUR army

Willmark:

It just seems too much for 12 points to me.(Blunderbusses)

BLOOD AXE
I believe that GW keeps the prices for all missile troops regardless of race or ability high in cost to prevent the game from morphing from Warhammer Fanatasy battle to Medieval 40k.

AGPO:

Ooh conspiracy theory…

Willmark:

Well back in 3rd edition they did talk about how the scale of the longbow was reduced by a factor of ten in order to keep games playable on the tabletop.

BLOOD AXE:

Thunderers have a much longer range, and they can take shields. Besides, cross army comparisons are fairly pointless - its how much use a unit is to YOUR army

AGPO
It my opinion. I think that 12 points is cheap for a Blunderbuss. Sure Thunderers have a longer range, but they don't nail every model within range on a 4+ either. Ive been around a bit & seen what other armies can do. Chaos Dwarf armies have alot of other missile fire & can force an enemy to close with them. Thus they will be forced into the range of a Blunderbuss. But again its just my opinion, that when the Chaos dwarves get their own book, and the blunderbus is redone- it will be changed or raise in points. Only time will tell.........

Willmark:

It is indeed a fearsome weapon but not without its problems. As it is right now a multi-wound cretaure can only be hit once by it regardless of how many are firing at it.

Canix:

People should just attack the blunders with giant,ogre chariot etc then 12 pts becomes expensive but if any rank and file units attack them they are to cheap ;)both cases are right its up to your opponent to decide by his tactics:hat

BLOOD AXE:

It is indeed a fearsome weapon but not without its problems. As it is right now a multi-wound cretaure can only be hit once by it regardless of how many are firing at it.

Willmark
True. Maybe that will be remedied in the revision. A larger target should be hit multiple times, maybe d3 for multiple wound models and d6 for large targets. Its silly that a Halfling be hit once and a Giant be hit once.........

Uzkul Werit:

I swear by two Earthshakers and four Bolt Throwers. Even in two pairs, the Bolt Throwers are so poor at hitting anyway. They’re hardly Reapeater Bolt Throwers. As for the Earthshakers they are our only valid Rare choice. Unless you want to shell out for tons of Bull Centaurs.

Kera foehunter:

well i think in the new book the blunderbusses will have the same as the thunders.G W does like the dwarfs of any type!!! i even bet they will make them cost 15 pt too.

Willmark:

They're hardly Reapeater Bolt Throwers. As for the Earthshakers they are our only valid Rare choice. Unless you want to shell out for tons of Bull Centaurs.

Uzkul Werit
I'm with you there. i've argued this in several threads the same thing. Still I'm gathering parts for a 1x10 BC unit. :o

Pyro Stick:

They're hardly Reapeater Bolt Throwers. As for the Earthshakers they are our only valid Rare choice. Unless you want to shell out for tons of Bull Centaurs.

Uzkul Werit
I'm with you there. i've argued this in several threads the same thing. Still I'm gathering parts for a 1x10 BC unit. :o

Willmark
I agree that the BT's arent that good. I usually take 4 and they dont do that much. Maybe im just unlucky with dice rolling. They were quite good in my last game where my lord on taurus was charged my a DE thing on a manticore and an assassin at the same time. The BT took out the assassin if i remember correctly but they took a while.

Im thinking of maybe making my bull centaur unit 15 or 20 large. Maybe if i make the unit big enough it will be worth it...