[Archive] Confirming a sad truth

Insidious:

Hi, very new to the forums but I figured this will be my first post because I think I read this somewhere but can’t seem to find it now. Is it true that FW does not have plans to do any of the Goblin or Wolf rider / Khan model from the Tamurkhan book?

I have only been collecting CD for a short while and all my stuff is FW, and was really looking forward to playing some sweet wolf riders etc. but now I am a little sad if this does turn out to be the case… guess I will have to use my sub par modeling skills to convert some up that will not look nearly as clean. :expressionless:

Thommy H:

I don’t think it’s been confirmed or denied. Forgeworld don’t work like the main GW studio, with a planned release schedule - they’re a boutique operation with a relative handful of staff who produce niche models to sell to collectors. If they have someone on their staff who wants to sculpt some Wolf Raiders, it could well happen. But there’s no real way to know.

Insidious:

I don't think it's been confirmed or denied. Forgeworld don't work like the main GW studio, with a planned release schedule - they're a boutique operation with a relative handful of staff who produce niche models to sell to collectors. If they have someone on their staff who wants to sculpt some Wolf Raiders, it could well happen. But there's no real way to know.

Thommy H
Well I will take that then, I just thought I read somewhere from somebody who talked to the actual sculptors at the FW Open Day that they said there were no plans for them. Just got to keep my fingers crossed I guess lol.

Time of Madness:

No plans at the moment for any hobgoblins. Only confirmed models are as follows

- Fireborn

- Destroyer

- Centaurs

After that we have been told there is no plans to produce anymore models.

Time of Madness

khedyarl:

Time, did you get to talk to the FW guys at the open show?

Was wondering if there was any truth to the “Hobgoblins were involved in Black Fire Pass” fluff, or if that’s just wishlisting.

Time of Madness:

Never made it to open day (I’m in Canada).

From what I have heard though, there is no indication hobgoblins will be done. We get Centaurs, fireborn and the destoyer. After those are done the FW fellows are moving on to other projects.

Time of Madness

Insidious:

Never made it to open day (I'm in Canada).

From what I have heard though, there is no indication hobgoblins will be done. We get Centaurs, fireborn and the destoyer. After those are done the FW fellows are moving on to other projects.
Time of Madness

Time of Madness
Thank you for the confirmation even though it is making me sad... least I dont have to try to convert up the Cents.. those should look amazing if the CD line put out so far has anything to say about it.

I keep hearing about this tutorial or great idea somebody had using Skaven Stormvermin to create Hobgoblins?!? Anyone have a link to this? The one that is up here appears to be made from old starter kit models not Skaven.
Thanks again!

Vogon:

Morning all (well it is here in the UK)

I spoke to both Steve and Edgar at the open day and both said that there are no plans for any further miniatures after the next releases (Fireborn, Destroyer and Bull Centaurs) during the discussion we even talked about the new plastic wolves set and Steve said al though they had been talked about with great enthusiasm in the FW studio there will be no Wolf Riders coming any time soon.

Sorry about that

Cheers

Vogon

fattdex:

You will find on the forums, different people are developing miniatures or conversion parts to fill the gaps. Wolf riders are easy with stormvermin body on a fenris wolf and your favourite head, cut throats are easy with plague monk bodies and goblin or ungor arms, cut off tail and your favourite head. A forum member is currently scuplting heads to be cast and sold.

Thommy H:

I sometimes forget that people are coming to Chaos Dwarfs for the first time now and assuming there is, will be or should be a complete model range!

In my day you had to convert everything or pay extortionate amounts for OOP models on eBay. Or you could hope that some other manufacturer would start sculpting Chaos Dwarfs. You youngsters with your FW model range don’t know you’re born…

Insidious:

I just hate having spent tons of cash on really really good looking models only to be told 3 models short of a complete range we wont be seeing anything any time soon / ever… now I have to try to do my own up that will look like poo poo next to my other beautiful models lol…

JMR:

I keep hearing about this tutorial or great idea somebody had using Skaven Stormvermin to create Hobgoblins?!? Anyone have a link to this? The one that is up here appears to be made from old starter kit models not Skaven.
Thanks again!

Insidious
Hey Insidious, welcome to the boards!
I came up with the Stormvermin conversion a good while ago. You can see some pictures of the results in my old blog here.

There's no tutorial around, but to be honest it's a pretty straightforward conversion.
I have used Ungor arms and Goblin and 40K Gretchin heads along with the Stormvermin bodies, but there's also examples to be found on these forums using Gnoblar heads and Dark Elf Corsair arms and I think there may be some using Chaos Marauder arms even. So, plenty to choose from!

Be sure to start a blog here when you do get started :hat off

fattdex:

To be honest they are a pretty hard conversion to ;()�,�& up, and will look really good. The price of buying 80 cut throats at forgeworld price will be prohibitive anyways

Kera foehunter:

I just hate having spent tons of cash on really really good looking models only to be told 3 models short of a complete range we wont be seeing anything any time soon / ever... now I have to try to do my own up that will look like poo poo next to my other beautiful models lol...

Insidious
First welcome to the site
Now , get use to the Rumiors ! its all about the money
just like gw Forge world is all about the money or they would of put the whole army out !! My bad this section of a chaos army.:hat off

yanloup:

I have only been collecting CD for a short while and all my stuff is FW,

Insidious
Ouch ! You're rich. :hat

I just hate having spent tons of cash

Insidious
Ah OK so you're really rich :hat off

(Stop joking) On these forums there are tons of conversion ideas to make cool minis and not sell a kidney to feed Ebay gangstas or FW.

khedyarl:

I’ve actually found that buying 2500 point ForgeWorld LoA list to buy comparable, if not cheaper than buying equivalent points value of another Games Workshop army.

And I definitely understand where the OP is coming from. I’ve been playing Chaos Dwarfs for eight years now, and the idea that we were so very, very close to getting a complete line of available minis is heartbreaking in its own way. I own the old hobgoblins/wolf rider minis, but I certainly would have preferred that FW bring out something aesthetically similar to the LoA dwarfs.

Played Orks for fifteen years - Just because we can make our own stuff, doesn’t necessarily mean that it is what many people want to do. Some people just don’t have the time to convert an entire army, and paint it. I know that I’m glad I did my conversions years ago, because my own time is severely limited lately.

Marduk:

I see Thommy H’s point but I totally agree with khedyarl.

I would try to convert my own stuff if I had the time but I don’t. I would probably have done so if I had started collecting Chaos Dwarfs when I was single and had no children, but now it’s different.

I am one of those “youngsters” that have recently come to Chaos Dwarfs. I don’t expect a complete model range. I am happy to purchase them at the pace that they are released, and get what I like.

What I am about to say may shock some of you, :o but all this Chaos Dwarf thing is completely new to me. I had never heard of them described as an army until I saw them in the FW website. Since I learned about GW and FW I have liked FW’s miniatures but I never owned any because I don’t collect WH40K. I have been looking for a pretext to buy a FW mini for the last couple of years, browsing their website quarterly, until last year I saw the Chaos Dwarfs. I waited for Tamurkhan to come out and bought it as soon as I read positive reviews from consumers.

Then I found this community and became much more interested, so I decided to start collecting Chaos Dwarfs. I don’t care if they have a complete range. I won’t even attempt to make time available to convert more stuff than the K’Daii Destroyer that I have not touched in several weeks. I just hope I have enough time to paint the minis.

Thommy H:

I was just making an observation really. I still find it odd that there are all these people around who think it’s totally normal to buy Chaos Dwarfs off the shelf!

vulcanologist:

My own passion for the hobby was definately on the wane until I discovered this community. I had owned 5th edition CDs in the past but since then I’d simply collected and painted what I guess you would call vanilla armies. Then I discovered CDO. I was amazed at the passion and skill and dedication of a bunch of nutcases who were creating their own armies out of nothing! I had to try myself. My first attempts at converting and using greenstuff weren’t too good and it takes alot more time but wow… The satisfaction I got out of creating a unique piece that was mine reignited my love for the hobby! I’m constantly amazed at the skills and creativity of this community, I really do think I surpasses that of GW because our members are driven by the sheer love of their bizarre army! Just look at Tjubs style, Grim’s sculpting, Baggranor’s art…wow! Look at Thommy’s book…it’s a masterpiece! Although it was nice to see FW bring out some shiney new models I believe it was in direct response to seeing the passion here! I actually hope FW leave gaps in their range so as to encourage people to use their own creativity to complete their armies! No other army has such a diverse range and that’s because everyone here sees CDs slightly differently and interprets them their own way! so basically I’m saying don’t just be a slave to forgeworld buy a box of dwarfs or gobbos and chop them up! Go wild and be amazed at what you can create! Be a Chaos Dwarf!

khedyarl:

I am one hundred percent for converting minis, and it has been hugely satisfying over the years - I have well over fifty warriors that I’ve sculpted from dwarven models that I’ve used to supplement the old metal big-hats I own. All I had meant by my post was that some people unfortunately don’t have the time - given scheduling or other obligations.

I certainly don’t agree with the idea that a company purposely leaving gaps in a line somehow encourages creativity - creativity will be there regardless if the range is available or not. Just look at our own forums (another example is the three hundred different true-scale Space Marine blogs out there). Infernal Guard are readily available, and still people are churning out wonderful sculpts and conversions of their own of miniatures that they could simply buy off the shelf. Why do they do it? Because they can, and because they like to, of course! That is one of the best parts about this hobby. If you love creating, and sculpting, and imagining, you can make whatever you want. If you feel your skills aren’t up to that level yet, or if you simply don’t have the time but still want a beautiful looking set of toys, you can buy them.

It would be wonderful if Forgeworld made Hobgoblins in the future. It doesn’t mean everyone would have to buy them, but it does mean that the option would be there for those who need it. And really, everybody enjoying the hobby at their own speed is what this community is all about.

(And Thommy: I’m with you. It keeps surprising me that I could just order a “box” of Chaos Dwarfs from Forgeworld whenever I feel the need. Just feels… weird after all this time.)