[Archive] Dawi Zharr Sculpt (Update! 01/28/09)

dedwrekka:

Decided to try out my hand at a full sculpt again.

For those of you who haven’t seen it, this was my first attempt at a, near, full Chaos Dwarf sculpt.

This is my most recent attempt. I’m planning on making multiple heads and armaments (Great weapon and sword/shield combo) seperately that can be switched out. Mainly so I can cast the whole lot of them and make a full squad that I can customize, but keep in roughly the same formation (Easier for ranking up).

Comments, Criticism, Insults?

Narflung:

Good looking beginnings, I like the pose, they look like they are bracing for a charge

Kera foehunter:

great figure the staff and the beard are sweeeeet.

dedwrekka:

Hello again all.

I know it’s been a while, but since I’ve been working on another Dawi Zharr sculpt, I figured I’d put it here, rather than just start a new thread.

Some of the early WIP pictures:

And some of the more recent details:

The Cthulhu-esq mask was actually just a happy accident. In trying to incorporate some way for the beard to come out the helm it just kind of started to look squiddy. The right arm is still being worked on, so don’t expect the finished model to have a tentacle (though it would probably fit the helm).

grunts:

very nice. and the cthulhu-esq mask just sweetens the pot.

Grimstonefire:

I recommend you take a very sharp and fine craft knife and very carefully slice a really thin layer off all the areas that are meant to be flat.  Perhaps best to practice on something first :wink:

Some of the scales would be improved by this IMO.  I’d also add a slightly thicker rim to the armour skirt of the mini on the top.  Make it stand out over the armour.   If you carefully slice and file it afterwards you’ll get a nice sharp edge on the bottom.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Looks good so far. Certainly improving. Are you considering casting them and selling any?

dedwrekka:

I recommend you take a very sharp and fine craft knife and very carefully slice a really thin layer off all the areas that are meant to be flat.  Perhaps best to practice on something first ;)

Some of the scales would be improved by this IMO.  I'd also add a slightly thicker rim to the armour skirt of the mini on the top.  Make it stand out over the armour.   If you carefully slice and file it afterwards you'll get a nice sharp edge on the bottom.

Grimstonefire
Thanks for the advice, I've already started it on some parts of the mini. I'm hoping to get some Brownstuff (kneadatite brown/white mix, as opposed to Greenstuff) in later so that I can do better sharp angles.
Looks good so far. Certainly improving. Are you considering casting them and selling any?

Hashut's Blessing
It was an early idea, and I'm certainly not opposed to it. I just need to get the materials for it. There's a guy at my local gaming store that can create molds for you, and can sell you the resins to make the mini, that I'm going to talk to about getting that going possibly.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Let me know if you go down that route :wink:

dedwrekka:

In keeping of my never finishing a sculpt before starting another one… Here’s another one! I think I’m getting closer to a multi-part sculpt. All I need is to make a few helmet designs I like, a couple of shields, and a few weapon options.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Looking good so far. What sort of weapons options etc are you thinking of? Also, please finish the last one :smiley:

dedwrekka:

Looking good so far. What sort of weapons options etc are you thinking of? Also, please finish the last one :D

Hashut's Blessing
Don't worry, I am :)

For the weapons I plan on hand weapon, shield, great weapon, and blunderbuss options. Something that could be swapped around depending on what's wanted.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Cool cool. Any ideas for shapes and designs?

dedwrekka:

Cool cool. Any ideas for shapes and designs?

Hashut's Blessing
A few, but no solid idea of how I want them to look yet. As the dwarfs have their standard, ordinary looking, but well made weapons, I want the chaos dwarfs to have something with some style or flash. Something like the wicked curves on dark elf weapons or etched runes and blasphemies.

Though, I'm not above steampunk type weapons (actually a tesla-coil blunderbuss unit has been stuck in my mind for a while) or demonic looking items. I believe I still have a steam-powered claw mutation I was working on at one point as an arm option around here.

Kera foehunter:

great job !! some real cool guys

i like the cork piece for the base when making the figure

that a great idea

dedwrekka:

Update:

Here’s a few helmet designs I’ve come up with, unfortunately I’m not terribly great at helmets, so I’m working on my skills as I go.

Narflung:

The 3rd/4th one should look pretty good it you lightly file the front to get rid of the round edges

Kera foehunter:

they look good !! i haven’t went as far to make mask or helmets with green stuff

you make great boots and armor!!!

dedwrekka:

A little side update. While trying to piece together some weapons for the above sculpts, I’ve been working on two side projects of mine. One, a Chaos Dwarf Fire Wizard (Somewhat Bright Wizard-y). The other, a Skaven Warlock Engineer (taken from the cover of the Skaven book).

and a very early stubby Blunderbuss. Needs a bit more detail work and a firing mechanism. This is just one of the designs I’m working on for them though.

Oh, and on the upside to my not-being-very-good-with-helmet-making, I designed the body section of the warrior sculpt so that any ball and socket head will work for it (Space Marine Helmets, Chaos Warrior Helmets, Skaven Heads, blah, blah, blah).

slev:

Awesome rat!

I loves my rats!