[Archive] Do Chaos Dwarfs consider themselves "Chaos"?

Grimstonefire:

Hmmm, thought this thread was locked.

Anyhow, as I’m not sure I replied to this yet:

IMO this question cannot be answered definitively using any current fluff.��So we all have our opinions, but until GW decides to redo the Chaos Dwarfs we will not be 100% clear.

My view is that “chaos” is too loose a term, as it has too many understandings.

Perhaps a better question would be 'do Chaos Dwarfs consider themselves chaotic?'��

In my fluff, the Chaos Dwarfs have gone down many dark paths, each and every time because their survival depended on it.��They could have chosen to be destroyed with their honour intact, or to slowly decline like the western Dwarfs, but instead they have done only what is was necessary to survive.

Daemon binding for instance is done in as scientific a way as possible, for only by attempting to maintain control can the Chaos Dwarfs hope to survive.��

So IMO only certain parts of the society are unstable,��but ruled with an iron discipline where possible.��So whilst in the main there is order pervading almost every aspect of their society they cannot really be described as ‘chaotic’ as a whole.��If there was no order anywhere they would be chaotic (and part of ‘chaos’).��Its an important difference in the warhammer world to the endless cycle of bloodshed that exists further north.

To answer the question ‘do chaos Dwarfs consider themselves chaos?’, I think the simple answer would be no, they wouldn’t consider themselves part of chaos.

They may try to control the raw magic of chaos, to use it and its followers as tools, but IMO they are not subservient to chaos.��In my fluff they can choose at any time to reject chaos in all its forms, to slay its followers and to cease trading entirely.��But to do so would mean their eventual destruction.

So they are in part controlling chaos, but the powers of chaos are also controlling them to a certain extent.��In my fluff their fate as a race is very strongly linked to Chaos, because ultimately Chaos is their greatest ally, but their greatest enemy as well.

Also, in my fluff the main reason they are called ‘Chaos’ Dwarfs is because of the common understanding of the word in the Warhammer world, and all it entails; dread, fear, hatred etc.��It being very important to inspire such emotions in their enemies to prevent attack/ bring victories/ control their empire etc.��Also to spite the western Dwarfs for their misplaced persecution.

A long time ago I did actually wonder whether ‘Chaos’ Dwarfs could infact be anti chaos?!!?��I.e. attempting to bring order to chaos by bringing it under their control (thereby attempting to end it).��Using the power of chaos as a weapon against itself, no matter the cost.��I had thoughts to weave the idea of Malal into all this, but it was far too tricky so I completely gave up on the idea. :slight_smile:

@Wallacer

I go more with gIL, I always thought of Hashut as the god of greed and all the things that go with that; thirst for power, domination, seeking to improve wealth every way possible (technology/ slavery) etc.

Btw, incase anyone was curious, we put a general policy on slavery on CDO on the forum rules thread. :wink:

Oh, and I’m ‘active’ again now as a mod.��I may not be posting much, but I will do my mod duties.