[Archive] Do Chaos Dwarfs consider themselves "Chaos"?

Hammerhand:

I’m definately in the Chaos camp. My CDs are based on mini chaos warriors! The helcannon had the star incorporated into it’s wheels, although this could just hve been a gimmick for their business!!

The star is the mark of chaos undivided, of which there are 8 points which I think logically would equate to 8 gods. The four major points (N,E,S,W) would probably represent the big four, so Hashut could be one of the four minor points, another being the horned rat (as the skaven are spawn of chaos are they not?).

who would the other 2 be?

wallacer:

who would the other 2 be?

Hammerhand
Khaine and Malal?

Thommy H:

Khaine = Khorne…

No, I’m not interested in debating it, he just does. There’s an old picture of Witch Elves with the Khorne symbol on their hats and they both like blood and killing and their names start with “Kh” :stuck_out_tongue:

cornixt:

They don’t point at any particular minor god. And khaine isn’t Khorne.

Willmark:

Could be. GW has never been consistent in the history of the warhammer world as the game has evovled.

Tallhat:

The time when the Dawi-Zharr were creatures of chaos are long gone. 3rd edition-like gone. The army book mentions that Hashut:hashut is a chaos god particular to the CD but thats the only real mention of them being chaos worshippers. All the things that you normally consider chaos are also not present with the CD (daemons, horrible mutations etc.)

- Tallhat

Thommy H:

Can people actually read this thread before chiming in with the incredibly basic information? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not exactly a newbie here, I just wanted some opinions on the use of Chaos iconography and whether it fits with Chaos Dwarfs. As Hammerhand has pointed out, the Hellcannon wheels have the Star of Chaos on them and I’ve seen the same icon repeated in other armies over the years. My gut instinct was “yeah, it’s fine”, but then I thought about it and decided to get more more input.

Anyway, the situation was long-ago resolved. My second blunderbuss unit not have a split skull on their banner, a traditional Chaos Dwarf icon.

Hammerhand:

But in said army book, behind the styalised flaming skull logo, you will find the 8 pointed star of chaos, not to mention the ‘arrow’ shapes addorned on their armour. chaos dwarfs are chaos, whether they realise it or not is another matter!

Thommy H:

Good spot! Page 32, right? The arrows are at odd lengths, so you can’t spot it immediately, but behind the exact design I’ve used for the skull on my banner is the Star of Chaos. Weird coincidence.

Skellan:

I am just building my first CD army, and I am using a blend of hats, masks and helmets…which has left me thinking about iconography and “style” a fair bit and how to get everything to flow together.��Because the army is fairly open with regards to not having a book in the last decade, I am feeling that it is OK to��choose where on the Chaos spectrum you choose to place the CD, so I think you should be able to do whatever you want.��That’s why I am building a CD army after all.��:)

I am avoiding too much Chaos iconography myself, as I am trying to differentiate my new army from the HoC player in the campaign we are just starting up.��I personally prefer to stress the CD independence, and focus on them being evil slaver/industrialists, rather than “spreading the word” of Chaos like the Hordes.

That said, though, I am using big hat BB CD as my sorcerer characters, and they have the arrow symbols built in, so it is hard to completely avoid.��Chaos is part of the CD heritage, and they certainly have close relations with Archaon and company, even if they have not been unusually short marauders for a few editions.

AGPO:

IMHO the “chaos” in chaos dwarfs refer to the fact that they are dwarfs mutated by chaos, who embrace chaotic magic and who consort with daemons. I think chaos dwarfs would be proud of these differences that set them apart from (and in their opinion above) their dwarf cousins. For this reason I think they would be more than happy to use chaos iconography - if just to piss off the Dawi

Willmark:

Plus calling them Fire Dwarfs doesn’t have the same cache that “Chaos Dwarfs” do. Unless it conjures up images of dwarfs being lit on fire in some sort of bizarre Side Show stage act from the 1800’s… :slight_smile:

Hammerhand:

IMHO the "chaos" in chaos dwarfs refer to the fact that they are dwarfs mutated by chaos

AGPO
I would hardly call a change in facial hair grooming mutation! ;)

wallacer:

It’s impossible to really ascertain the “chaoticness” of CD without really understanding more about Hashut himself.

Since GW have never really clarified what Hashut is vis-a-vis the other Gods it is difficult to really know how Chaotic his followers would be.

Thommy H:

I always think of the Chaos Dwarfs as incredibly ordered - in D&D terms, “Lawful Evil” rather than “Chaotic Evil”. That seems to contradict the term “Chaos Dwarfs”, but it’s worth remembering that Warhammer doesn’t follow the same concept of alignment as D&D - “Chaos” has its own specific meaning, related to, but separate from, the everyday use of the word.

minty:

IMHO the "chaos" in chaos dwarfs refer to the fact that they are dwarfs mutated by chaos

AGPO

Hammerhand
i thin he means the larger noses, tusts and ocasional bull bodys, hoves and changing into a giant flaming bull monster with wings

Hammerhand:

AGPO

Hammerhand
i thin he means the larger noses, tusts and ocasional bull bodys, hoves and changing into a giant flaming bull monster with wings

minty
A ha that! I concur, although I was merely jesting!

grunts:

I’ve always thought of Hashut as a minor god of chaos (as I seem to remember the 40k fluff makes mention of the hordes of minor chaos gods & demi-gods). Don’t all chaos worshippers look down on the followers of the other gods? As for not showing the usual chaos trademarks (mutations and daemons), dwarves are supposed to be hardy and resistant to the physical corruption of chaos. As for the daemons, well…as the Chaos Dwarfs are known for binding daemons into their war machines I would think that daemons would be a bit leery of showing their faces around the Dawi’Zharr.

Just my opinion though.

Tallhat:

I've always thought of Hashut as a minor god of chaos (as I seem to remember the 40k fluff makes mention of the hordes of minor chaos gods & demi-gods).��Don't all chaos worshippers look down on the followers of the other gods?��As for not showing the usual chaos trademarks (mutations and daemons), dwarves are supposed to be hardy and resistant to the physical corruption of chaos.��As for the daemons, well...as the Chaos Dwarfs are known for binding daemons into their war machines I would think that daemons would be a bit leery of showing their faces around the Dawi'Zharr.

Just my opinion though.

grunts
Well after reading up on him (what little there is) it would seem that the god is "....the embodiment of the city, its deity and its master..."
Isnt it possible that Hashut isnt as much a god in the common sense as he is a manifestation of the Dawi-Zharr way of life and way of thinking? That they somhow created him through their labour to build Zharr-Naggrund and the Empire. That he somhow in fact IS Zharr-Naggrund?

- Tallhat

Uzkul Werit:

That’s a good idea and it’s also the way in which some think the Bug Four came into exsistance. They were simply manifestations of mortal emotions and fears.