[Archive] Dogs of War(2)

BilboBaggins:

One of my friends has a 40k Imperial Guard army composed of Squats. You should have seen the looks of GW staff when he put it on he board for a tournament at the store. Some of the staff (the former manager was really bad) telling people to get a life and start a new army when they see people using old models and army lists.

Kera foehunter:

so how many army’s of dow you guys have ??

snowblizz:

so how many army's of dow you guys have ??

Kera foehunter
I've got a truckload of metal pikemen (and a box of old Empire Crossbowmen, and 5th ed archers) just waiting to become a Wheel of Time inspired DoW army. Or whatever rules I'll be able to use for them.
I really hope DoW doesn't disappear because it actually would fit very well for how I imagine a Last Battle army as.

two_heads_talking:

One of my friends has a 40k Imperial Guard army composed of Squats. You should have seen the looks of GW staff when he put it on he board for a tournament at the store. Some of the staff (the former manager was really bad) telling people to get a life and start a new army when they see people using old models and army lists.

BilboBaggins
As long as he is using a current codex/army book, they can't say a "damn" thing.. lol

snowblizz:

BilboBaggins
As long as he is using a current codex/army book, they can't say a "damn" thing..  lol

two_heads_talking
Wouldn't the perfect comeback there be: "I *do* have a life, that's why I use these old figures instead of painting ever new armies."

BilboBaggins:

I just figured out my Empire and Dwarf list I used to use are no longer tournament legal.

My Empire (State army of Stirland) list always had Lumpin’ Croop’s Fighting Cocks or a generic Halfling archer unit.

My Dwarf army had a unit of Halfling Archers, Halfling Hot Pot and the RoR Besiegers.

So I have 4 tournament illegal armies the way I normally play them, but two of the armies can be legal when I get off my can and finish building models.

I need Halflings in my armies, I run a 500 point army of Hobbits in LOTR. Long live the Halflings.

cornixt:

Here is an attempt I made to replace DoW as the ultimate beginners army (could be tweaked all over the place):

Mercenary army

Intent

The aim is to have an army made up entirely of unconverted models from the other armies. Ideally there would be at least one unit available from each army, but that is difficult to do with some of the more isolated/evil armies. Each unit will have rules that are similar, but not identical, to the unit they are based on. Any special rules will have unique names, and all units will have different names to their equivalent units. The rules are entirely self-contained in the army list and main Warhammer rulebook; The rules to a unit will NOT be updated if the equivalent unit changes in a new army book, and that will be made very clear.

The biggest problem is with trying to prevent there being units that no one takes because there is a similar but better unit available, and with so many more units than normal armies it may be hard to balance. Points costs will be slightly higher across the army to make up for the choices being much wider than most other armies. Might add some special rules to adjust for certain races not liking each other. In some cases you may wonder “Why is unit X a Rare choice?” and in some cases there isn’t a big reason other than spreading variety, but in others it is simply "Does it make sense that there are a lot of mercenary Skaven, or would it make sense for other races to be happy fighting along side several units of them?"

Basic army concept is a jack-of-all-trades, with a large amount of flexibility. Should be the perfect starter army, with players being able to pick more models based on their appearance (or cheapness due to being plastic) rather than having to stick to one army that has a couple of units with poor models. Maybe the player hasn’t decided which army he likes best yet and doesn’t know which fighting style he prefers. I’ve tried to make most of it compatible with the current DoW list. I would have liked to have included Halfling and pikemen units (to completely replace the DoW army) but they don’t fit with the generic army theme, so the RoR units will have to do. More pages of rules are necessary for all the units (not that they will be complicated in any way), but less fluff is needed since most units are just “members of race X left their own kind”.

LORDS

Mercenary Commander (Orc, Human, Elf, Dwarf, Ogre)

Hireling Wizard Lord (Human, Elf)

HEROES

Mercenary Captain (Orc, Human, Elf, Dwarf, Ogre)

Hireling Wizard (Human, Elf)

Shaman (Goblin, Skaven, Skink)

CORE

Orc Mercenaries

Human Mercenaries

Elven Mercenaries

Dwarven Mercenaries

SPECIAL

Mercenary Knights

Mercenary Necromancer and Horde

Mercenary Skirmishers

Mercenary Goblins

Wandering Saurus

Swarm

(Ogre entries absent since the Ogre merc rules are in OK army book)

RARE

Mercenary Skaven

Mercenary Cannon

Elven Fast Cavalry Mercenaries

Diabolist and Summoned

The Mercenary army can take Regiments of Renown as if they are a Dogs of War army.

BilboBaggins:

I like, no Paymaster.

I’d switch a few things around

Goblins and Gnoblars as Core (NO Night Gobbos)

Bows and Crossbows core, blackpowder Special or Rare.

Bolt Thrower as Special

Kera foehunter:

i have the alibino giants the pay master the goralog ogres long dronge slayers

the halflin hot pot halfling lumkin croops guys the silly flying guys( forgot there names)

heavy armor dwarf cross bow guys

al-hashut:

I was theming my army around Tilean private army anyway. If the DOW list takes a squatting then the only thing i’d really miss are the Pikerules, which would now be spearmen and a drop in BS for my Marksmen di Miragliano. However, i already own a large empire army…so, it will be a bit of a pain having to use the same vanilla list again. Humans get a bit of a raw deal TBH, i’ve always thought both Estalia and Tilea should at least get a WD armylist. There’s so much flavour there

I’ll also lament my Lumpin Croop’s regiment being doomed to the cursed Shelf of Display, or having to use the huntsmen rules in my Ostland empire army.

Besides, if things go really pearshaped and I lose total heart there’s always shameful, capitalistic profiteering

BilboBaggins:

I loved how in the Empire Army book mentions that the southern states used Pikes instead of spears but then never put pikes in the allowable list. They should have made it an upgrade to spearmen, I would then do some conversions.

I like the idea of a mercenary army. The list above is a good start, but GW rules makers usually have their heads in other things than allowing themed armies. 2-3 years ago White Dwarf had articles about armies adding Pikemen as DoW options to most armies. Now GW wants to eliminate DoW. I’m guessing no real long range thinking in their company.

Kera foehunter:

well i see i need to add some pike men maybe it will be cheaper since everyone bough them

BilboBaggins:

well i see i need to add some pike men maybe it will be cheaper  since everyone bough them

Kera foehunter
Pikes are cool to have.

Fight in 4 ranks.
Strike first when charged.

Now Pirazzo�?Ts Lost Legion is really cool. Front rank has crossbows, additional ranks has pikes. When charged they stand and shoot and the pike ranks strike first.

Willmark:

DoW will fight on (pardon the pun) reason being is Empire, models are similar enough which is probably GW’s thinking on the matter. Now its not a 1-1 thing but Empire represents the best opportunity.

BilboBaggins:

Yes, most units/RoR would work well in the Empire.

Pikes become spears.

Crossbows stay the same.

Halflings become Huntsman (I’ll miss the BS4 of their bows).

two_heads_talking:

BilboBaggins
As long as he is using a current codex/army book, they can't say a "damn" thing..  lol

two_heads_talking
Wouldn't the perfect comeback there be: "I *do* have a life, that's why I use these old figures instead of painting ever new armies."

snowblizz
No, it wouldn't.. because the store has a strict policy of swearing and I was being Ironic.. lol

AGPO:

BilboBaggins
The response to this is always "well I would, but I'd worry that you'd make them illegal."

Then look smug :)

snowblizz:

BilboBaggins
The response to this is always "well I would, but I'd worry that you'd make them illegal."
Then look smug :)

AGPO
Haha! Ok, that would probably work very well.

I just couldn't help feeling the irony in a GW guy telling people to get a life and start another army. Usually those with a life can't start armies willy-nilly.

BilboBaggins:

And I was promised by managers of GW that the SoC armies would continue to be tournament legal after the campaign ended. It was what a year before they banished them in the UK and started banishing them in the rest of the world.

It’s a shock that the Chaos Dwarfs list in Ravening Hoards lasted as long as it did.

snowblizz:

And I was promised by managers of GW that the SoC armies would continue to be tournament legal after the campaign ended. It was what a year before they banished them in the UK and started banishing them in the rest of the world.

It's a shock that the Chaos Dwarfs list in Ravening Hoards lasted as long as it did.

BilboBaggins
It was even written down in the SoC book. Had I been a faster painter/modeller I'd already have a Slaanesh Deamon army and be angry. Instead of making one right now.
My Cult of Pleasure was cool as well. I miss it.