[Archive] E-bay buying figures

Kera foehunter:

When you buy figures on e-bay do you buy painted figures

or non painted figures

or just good deals

Thommy H:

Non-painted if I can, but I’ll buy painted if it’s a good deal (my Lammasu was painted). I won’t buy “pro-painted” of course - by which I mean, figures that were painted to be sold - because I’d want to paint anything I bought myself. If something is painted and based and varnished, that’s no good to me, no matter how tempting a deal it might be.

slev:

I prefer unpainted, I’ll pay a little extra for it.

Under-coated only or thin coat of paint I can re-paint over failing that.

I never buy anything I need to strip. It’s not worth the hassle.

Kera foehunter:

lol pro painted figures!! i will strip a model if i get it real cheep!!! but those day are omost gone now

i don’t like primer figures, you dont get a great look at the figures and you don’t know how many layers of paint on them

Pyro Stick:

I just buy what i need at the cheapest price. If im looking for something metal then i dont care if its painted or not but if its plastic then it has to be unpainted since i cant strip it like i can with the metal models. Also, its very hard to get unpainted chaos dwarfs at a cheap price. Painted ones go for much cheaper.

Thommy H:

I always think the paradox with painted things on e-bay is quite funny. For an outsider it must be quite puzzling. A model with a terrible paint job is worth less than one with no paint on it whatsoever, but a good paint job commands a higher price.

It goes like this: bad paint job < no paint job < good paint job.

Kera foehunter:

How come all the pro painted figures look crappy

and everyone is a pro painter on E-bay

Thommy H:

Because people are attempting to command the highest price bracket. Since the choice is between taking the lowest or trying to blag the highest, you can see why’d they lie.

slev:

They’re not actually lying though.

Technically “pro” is professional, meaning that is how they derive their primary income.

Just because you’re a professional

Kera foehunter:

yea !!! but these guy would starve if the had to rely on there painting skills

for money

two_heads_talking:

I buy whatever I need. Since I am going to repaint it, I won’t pay a premium for any “painted” minis. I will buy it in any condition, as I can get the paint off with a limited amount of effort. then I can primer it the way I like it.

Kera foehunter:

well there are only a few thing i might pay higher for but there like slayer and slayer pirates

the rest i wait for a deal

Thommy H:

You can still buy the Slayer Pirates from GW’s website, Kera. I’d link, but the new American site doesn’t let you do that.

Kera foehunter:

i know i can get 12 for 50 .00

there where site a few month back that you can get 3 pirate slayer per pack for 17.00

so i set back and wait like all you guys do !!

two_heads_talking:

i know i can get 12 for 50 .00
there where site a few month back that you can get 3 pirate slayer per pack for 17.00
so i set back and wait like all you guys do !!

Kera foehunter
interestingly enough, I used the slayer pirates and slayers as slaves (noblars) in my ogre armies..

Kera foehunter:

Free the slaves!!!that a curse wost that death !!!Kera let out a scream!!!

two_heads_talking:

oh don’t worry, the ogres look like pirates… so, it’s all good.

Kera foehunter:

will you post them!! on the off topic painting section

two_heads_talking:

will you post them!! on the off topic painting section

Kera foehunter
Once I get my camera working, I sure will. Currently I have a problem with offloading the current family reunion pics and other family pictures.. Somehow it's just not cooperating.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Personally, if I can get unpainted, I do. otherwise, I tend not to. A lot of the pro-painted ones are painted by amateurs trying to make some money and those that aren’t are usually too expensive, not to mention, wouldn’t fit into my army/armies anyway. I count models that have only been primed as unpainted for the purposes of this, by the way. I don’t mind how they’re primed as I quite often don’t bother to prime models anyway (when there’s not many models or when I can’t get into the garden, like at university…).

Also, if there is no picture, I’m not very likely to buy it at all…