[Archive] Escaped daemon engines

zobo1942:

Given the rampaging nature, etc… of daemon engines, it seems to me that it could be possible - or probable, even - that a daemon engine could escape it’s handlers and be roaming around, attacking and killing anything it could. I think this could be a pretty cool scenario - anyone have any ideas to add?

Also - there should be a ‘create a daemon engine’ modelling contest. Just my opinion.

Xander:

Might be an idea for Games Day 2011 in Chicago.

I don’t want to have to cart a giant table next year (we had to borrow our parent’s minivan).

I am thinking of doing several smaller sized boards with themed games that take about 10-15 minutes to play.

zobo1942:

I’ve been thinking a lot about modular tables - the best idea I’ve had so far (I think, anyway) is a grid - much like the kind used for drop ceilings, only stronger - with 12"x12" cells. If this ‘grid’ had legs/supports on the outside, then terrain features modelleed on 12x12 peices of MDF with height (like mountains, etc…) or depth (like pits, ravines, etc…) could be placed in the rails which will support the gaming surface. This would be easier to store or transport, as the individual tiles which make up the playing surface could be stored seperately.

Nicodemus:

I am thinking of doing several smaller sized boards with themed games that take about 10-15 minutes to play.

Xander
OK, so as to not totally detail this thread I'll say one thing... and then comment on it

Dawi'Zharr Underway - Where the board isn't horizontal, it's mostly vertical via huge stairways, platforms and lifts.

OK. Back on track now folks. I think the roaming daemonic warmachines is a stellar idea. Well done! Just as good, a whole CD army themed around the idea. Hellcannon, Earthshaker and Deathrockets that are all daemonic and the "crews" are just there trying to catch them as opposed to operate them. And unit fillers in every unit with models trying to re-bind daemons in small warmachines (cannons or deathrockets) and maybe other fillers where the daemon has broken free and is pulling itself free of the smashed warmachine chasis while eating a CD Warrior to the horror of those around. Man, so many ideas, so little time...

~N

zobo1942:

Time to start drawing…

KillCow:

Sadly, the army of rampaging war-machines behaving in a most unprofessional manner with the crewmen franticly running behind trying desperately to regain control, is a very accurate battle report of a recent game I had using the Indy GT book. I need a new artillery dice set. }!{ was all I saw all game. It was still a good time though.:smiley:

zobo1942:

Would it have been more fun if you had been trying to destroy the rampaging war machines?

KillCow:

Perhaps. I did have the fortune of having a good natured opponent. We both had a good laugh about how bad my artillery was. My machines that did not misfire outright also had the tendency to scatter directly onto my hobgoblins. But the Hobgoblins were the bravest and most eager for battle I have ever seen them. I guess that is what I get for using green dice…

Killing the war-machines would definitely been an interesting twist on the game though.

cornixt:

Just having a couple of crew-less Hellcannons rampaging around would be fun to try to tame.

Nicodemus:

I think as a scenario this could be a great idea. Consider a Chaos Dwarf encampment with their Warmachines interspersed throughout the army as they feast and torture slaves after a conquest. A lone powerful Daemon shows up with a magic artifact that allows him to weaken the arcane sorcery that binds the daemons to the servitude of the Dawi’Zharr. Each turn he can take control of D3+1 random warmachines, and the daemon always goes first in the scenario as he has ambushed the encampment by emerging from a tear in the fabric of the �?ther.

Provided the Daemon started from far enough away that he was relatively safe from Chaos Dwarf attack for at least 1 turn, if not more, the Chaos Dwarf army might have their hands full with rampaging warmachines in the middle of their disorganized army with relatively poor ranks that have to be hastily fashioned from any Dawi’Zharr who happen to be near. It may be as well that once the daemons are strengthened enough by this artifact to regain control of their warmachine form that they’re slightly more powerful than they were as warmachines.

In this kind of scenario the Chaos Dwarf army would have options to use their powerful daemonic warmachines to try to kill the rampaging ones as well as the Lord Daemon, they could try and kill the Daemon first by sending out some units after it as quickly as possible, and/or they could try and smash their daemonic warmachines themselves before they’re taken over and turn on their masters.

Even with a non-game legal army (i.e. too many selections that would be considered Special and Rare) this could work in a 2000 Chaos Dwarf army against a tricksy 500pt Daemon. The way to get around the non-game legal list might be that the Chaos Dwarf army narrowly won a victory earlier that day and lost many of their foot troops, only to have saved a lot of their warmachines…

I’ve love to see this developed and played out :wink:

~N

Fequiil:

or you just use those engines as moving(and killing) objectives.

zobo1942:

I was thinking the scenario would start more like this:

Fade in: The leader of the army of Chaos Dwarfs has responded to the summons of a Sorceror Lord and is explaining the ‘escape’ of a prized daemon-engine. The Sorceror Lord is not pleased…

Chaos Dwarf Commander:

Sorry, you want me to WHAT?

Sorceror Lord:

You heard me, you irresponsible half-wit! Take that group of expendables over there and bring back that daemon-engine! (points to a bunch of hobgoblins)

Chaos Dwarf Commander:

Ummm, Master, I think I’ll need a few more troops than that to…

Sorceror Lord:

WHAT? That’s a bunch of crap. When I was your age, I was breaking and binding daemons faster than you drink fungus beer! Goddamn lazy kids nowadays - you make me sick! I once had to walk through a windstorm - after some daemonic bastard had SET THE SKY ON FIRE. That’s right…

Xander:

You should run the table next year at Games Day in Chicago. :wink:

zobo1942:

I love this idea, but I don’t know if it would work as a 'line ‘em up and… go!’ sort of scenario.

The idea of a small group of hunters trying to capture something much more powerful than them really works for me - being a fan of ‘intrepid band of adventurers try to stop big bad evil’ - but might be hard to make work. Here are some ideas:

A group of hunters is searching for the escaped Engine. The board has tons of terrain, making movement tricky. The hunters have some kind of special magic item than needs to be used when within a certain distance of the engine which will stop it, but frees the daemon within it. A ban on the Engine’s ranged weapons might be a good idea to make it even possible to get close to it without being annihilated.

Gigantic Daemon-Engine leviathan rises out of the river/ocean/water feature and attacks a barge ferrying slaves and their captors to the auction block. The objective? Get the attacked ship to shore and run like hell, while not letting too many slaves die… or YOU’LL be on the auction block. Special rules for distraction and re-directing the daemon-engine.

Huge CD amphiteatre-style occultist/orrery lab set-up. A sorcerer is summoning a daemonic spirit to imbue the engine with life. A ‘choir’ of other Choas Dwarfs chant to aid the summoning. A daemon of huge power is bound into the engine, which promptly break free of its chains. This is a straight shoot-out: All the CDs grab their blunderbusses and, from all angles, blast away at the construct until it is destryed, or they are.

EDIT (another idea): And finally, for some hot Chaos Dwarf on Chaos Dwarf action: Two groups of hunters from rival clans are trying to capture the escaped engine. They work together to defeat the marauding mechanized monstrosity, and then turn their weapons on each other! Re-activating the Daemon-Engine would certainly give one side the edge!

Anyone else have any ideas?

zobo1942:

Here’s another idea: Chaos Dwarf Repo Men

When payment doesn’t appear after selling a daemonic engine to some Warriors of Chaos, the Dawi Zharr are sent to ‘repossess’ their property!

A smaller CD ‘strike force’, including a Daemonsmith, need to sneak into the chaos force’s encampment to the holding pen for the Daemon Engine. After disposing of the wizard controlling the Engine, they need to fight their way out to join the other Dawi Zharr who rank up to assault the encampment.

Fallen246:

Here's another idea: Chaos Dwarf Repo Men

When payment doesn't appear after selling a daemonic engine to some Warriors of Chaos, the Dawi Zharr are sent to 'repossess' their property!

A smaller CD 'strike force', including a Daemonsmith, need to sneak into the chaos force's encampment to the holding pen for the Daemon Engine. After disposing of the wizard controlling the Engine, they need to fight their way out to join the other Dawi Zharr who rank up to assault the encampment.

zobo1942
And have the odds stacked against them... until they let loose the daemon engines.

Kind of like the 40k Kill Teams or whatever they were called, and then BAM they have a daemonic warmachine eating people.

zobo1942:

Here’s another simple idea: Giant grotequely-overpowered Escaped Daemon-Engine vs. An entire army?

And another: Daemon engine devours people (I’ll swallow your soul! I’ll swallow your soul!), and learns that it can use the consumed soul-energy to re-animate the dead! Daemon-Engine player can target casualties and if the hit is successful, zombies or skeletons rise up to eat more braiiiiiins…

nitroglysarine:

Here's another simple idea: Giant grotequely-overpowered Escaped Daemon-Engine vs. An entire army?

And another: Daemon engine devours people (I'll swallow your soul! I'll swallow your soul!), and learns that it can use the consumed soul-energy to re-animate the dead! Daemon-Engine player can target casualties and if the hit is successful, zombies or skeletons rise up to eat more braiiiiiins....

zobo1942
Zombie demons! all he has to do is target babies and he'll be truly evil.
(did you have this idea after watching a certain BBC 'Camelot' based program did you??) :D

zobo1942:

Well, I did watch the ‘Merlin’ episode, but after I’d posted. I was thinking a bit more ‘Evil Dead II’!

I’ve had the idea of creating a daemon-engine ‘slave hunter’ that would swim around in rivers and oceans, and attack ships or oceanside communities and devour people alive which become captives prior to its return to its ‘home base’ - essentially, a mobile slave gatherer. In some of the Daemon-Engine-Run-Amok ideas, it could be that battle damage has resulted in the engine being able to ‘digest’ the captured slaves to use as ammuntion, making it truly independent and able to nourish itself.

I’d love to see a ‘build your own daemon engine’ artisan contest. That would be sweeeet!

nitroglysarine:

IT would be awesome to have that in a future build :smiley: