[Archive] Faq 8th edition

Thommy H:

I just had a quick look at the High Elf FAQ and I’m a bit dismayed because I was convinced that the new rulebook version of ASF and the way it interacts with great weapons was designed specifically to alter Swordmasters and White Lions, but Speed of Asyuran still takes precedent, apparently. Seems pointless to me, but there we go.

Baggronor:

I just had a quick look at the High Elf FAQ and I'm a bit dismayed because I was convinced that the new rulebook version of ASF and the way it interacts with great weapons was designed specifically to alter Swordmasters and White Lions, but Speed of Asyuran still takes precedent, apparently. Seems pointless to me, but there we go.
Yep. So now instead of striking before most people even though they have great weapons, they'll be striking before everyone and re-rolling most of the time. With great weapons. Despite the original ASF vs ASL ruling. Makes total sense.

Grimstonefire:

To be fair the ‘re-roll misses’ thing wasn’t really needed. The fact that HE could use great weapons should have been enough for them, and they’re the ones to benefit most.

Swissdictator:

Just kill all the great weapon guys before they get to your lines… especially the sword masters.

Though I think they’ll still prefer Lotheran Sea Guard a lot now. ASF spears en masse with shooting en masse? Sounds golden.

Shakhorth:

Just take enough miniatures to soak up the initial damage of the swordmasters and they too will drop like flies. Or blast 'em to bits with magic and shooting.

And yes the seaguard look like an awesome unit now. 4 rank attacks with ASF combined with the nasty volley rule. This unit will be worth his points.

Thommy H:

I’m not saying they’re broken or anything - I was one of the great defenders of ASF for High Elves because I thought it was a clever rule (looks hugely powerful, actually not that much) - I just think it’s an odd choice given how they’ve changed the basic ASF rule.

All that said, ASF on High Elves is not nearly as good as it once was because High Elves generally have higher Initiative than anything else they’d be fighting anyway. My defence of ASF was always, “they actually strike first most of the time already because they’re faster and will usually get the charge” which is now even more the case.

Baggronor:

My issue is with the combination of re-rolls and great weapons that strike first; it just seems excessive, even if they are 15pts each or whatever. As if ASF Black Guard weren’t bad enough.

Border Reiver:

Yeah, seaguard looks like it’ll be going from a unit that people regarded as a points sink to a decent unit people will take to fill their core.

Now, if Crossbow wielding Dwarfs could get heavy armour to go with their great weapons they’d easily be the best missile unit out there.

Grimstonefire:

Just read on warseer that they will be putting out ammended errata for army books, and one for the rulebook within the next 2 weeks.

Seems a rushed job to me, they’re trying to cover up their mistakes before some customers catch on, but why not leave it a month or so and get it right this time?

elrodogg:

Just read on warseer that they will be putting out ammended errata for army books, and one for the rulebook within the next 2 weeks.

Seems a rushed job to me, they're trying to cover up their mistakes before some customers catch on, but why not leave it a month or so and get it right this time?

Grimstonefire
The true errata should have been delivered with the release of the new edition. Its not like they didn't know 8th ed was coming, or the release date, or the need to update their books.

That said, the first round of erratas/FAQ's certainly was dissappointing (no adjustment to point values of either troops or magic items, no adjustment to magic creating lore attributes or updating spell casting levels / effects). I hope that GW supplies a proper update for each army.

Grimstonefire:

updating spell casting levels / effects
That part is not going to happen until each book is done.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4813175&postcount=29

Hashut’s Blessing:

I only really read the Warriors of Chaos one and it seems to be that they have done nothing but reword rules to use the terms used int he new book and to prevent the Warshrine from getting Thunderstomp (from memory. I may be forgetting something vital), which makes sense.

However, that means that (other than no Thunderstomping Warshrines) it is largely irrelevant to most veterans (although likely necessary to avoid confusion in the newest of the new players).

I find it odd that the Warshrine doesn’t get Thunderstomp and that the Corpse Cart does. i thinkt he Corpse Cart should NOT get it, personally, but oh well :smiley:

Fequiil:

if gw is making a new armylist for CD and/or DOW we don’t need an FAQ, because al the good info will be in our armybook.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Fequiil: that’s completely correct, but it’s entirely based upon that IF.

Thommy H:

That said, the first round of erratas/FAQ's certainly was dissappointing (no adjustment to point values of either troops or magic items, no adjustment to magic creating lore attributes or updating spell casting levels / effects).
There was never any suggestion that this was going to happen. The rumoured "updated Armies books in PDF form!" was always wishful thinking - these are FAQs, and they were always intended to be.

dedwrekka:

Seems a rushed job to me, they're trying to cover up their mistakes before some customers catch on, but why not leave it a month or so and get it right this time?

Grimstonefire
As pointed out in the link you gave, they're planning on making the FAQs and Errata a living document. So changes will come constantly as new and ever increasing problems emerge with rigorous playtesting.

Frankly, GW could playtest in-house from now till next year and still not come up with 1/10 of the possible events and outcomes that are out there and could possibly need an FAQ.

Imagine trying to determine the problems that could arise with every possible combination of magic item meeting every kind of special rule. Every magic weapon versus every magic armor. Every arcane item with every kind of spell. Every unit configuration imaginable.

So, yes, I actually expect some issues to not be noticed until brought up by players with a rule-set with as many options as Warhammer.

cornixt:

That said, the first round of erratas/FAQ's certainly was dissappointing (no adjustment to point values of either troops or magic items, no adjustment to magic creating lore attributes or updating spell casting levels / effects).
There was never any suggestion that this was going to happen. The rumoured "updated Armies books in PDF form!" was always wishful thinking - these are FAQs, and they were always intended to be.

Thommy H
Some of them completely rewrite the rules for certain units, so it is a bit more than a simple FAQ.

Thommy H:

Sure, but the rewrites are limited to making the units work in 8th Edition even so - they’re not about addressing inherent (alleged) problems with some of the books, and a lot of the fixes are pretty rough patches. There’s a lot of “ignore this magic item” which is not exactly an attempt at a fundamental rewrite of the armies. It’s an Errata document to patch 7th Edition publications and make them 8th Edition compliant. Acting as if it’s a missed opportunity is to hugely misunderstand GW’s business model and their aims with 8th Edition.

I think, from what I’ve seen, that 8th Edition is a re-envisioning of Warhammer to make it about games and about creativity. There are rules that make trees randomly attack you and for giant airships that don’t even have points values. It’s a slap in the face to everyone who insists Warhammer should be some kind of tactical exercise and I for one welcome it. Screw 'em: I want death blimps.

AGPO:

@ Cornixt: I haven’t had time to go through them all, which one’s re-write units?

cornixt:

Casket of Souls, and from what I have heard the Steam Tank too. Some others might too, I haven’t read any in detail.