[Archive] Faq 8th edition

Baggronor:

It's a slap in the face to everyone who insists Warhammer should be some kind of tactical exercise and I for one welcome it. Screw 'em: I want death blimps.
Huzzah! While I like tactics, Warhammer is supposed to be fun; anything that promotes creativity and flies in the face of the 'meta-game'-loving whiny muppets on certain forums is good news imo.
I haven't had time to go through them all, which one's re-write units?
The Anvil and the Cauldron both got adjustments to bring them in line with other war machines (separate Toughness for missile hits and melee) but they weren't really rewrites. The Anvil guards are now T5 in melee :o Some troops changed categories (Dire Wolves went from Fast Cav to War Beasts for example) and a few troops lost or gained rules here and there.
i thinkt he Corpse Cart should NOT get it, personally, but oh well
I agree and I'm a VC player. Thunderstomping Zombies? At strength 2? Wot?

dedwrekka:

Sure, but the rewrites are limited to making the units work in 8th Edition even so - they're not about addressing inherent (alleged) problems with some of the books, and a lot of the fixes are pretty rough patches. There's a lot of "ignore this magic item" which is not exactly an attempt at a fundamental rewrite of the armies. It's an Errata document to patch 7th Edition publications and make them 8th Edition compliant. Acting as if it's a missed opportunity is to hugely misunderstand GW's business model and their aims with 8th Edition.

I think, from what I've seen, that 8th Edition is a re-envisioning of Warhammer to make it about games and about creativity. There are rules that make trees randomly attack you and for giant airships that don't even have points values. It's a slap in the face to everyone who insists Warhammer should be some kind of tactical exercise and I for one welcome it. Screw 'em: I want death blimps.

Thommy H
One thing that entirely changed how a unit works is that Skaven can shoot at an enemy in combat with Slaves, but now there's no randomization of who you hit, you just hit the enemy.

dedwrekka:

I haven't had time to go through them all, which one's re-write units?
The Anvil and the Cauldron both got adjustments to bring them in line with other war machines (separate Toughness for missile hits and melee) but they weren't really rewrites. The Anvil guards are now T5 in melee :o Some troops changed categories (Dire Wolves went from Fast Cav to War Beasts for example) and a few troops lost or gained rules here and there.

Baggronor
I was looking at the anvil rewrite. It's a beast to kill, in any form or fashion now. It's a 4+ ward at range, 6+ ward in combat, uses the best armor save for both. So an okay and still minimally upgraded runelord can give it a 2+ armor save, 1+ ward against magic (3 runes of warding = MR3), 4+ ward against shooting, and a 6+ ward in combat. And you've still got a few ablative wounds that wont effect those numbers until the model loses it's last wound. Oh, and I can take 1 hero character and make it entrenched (hard cover = -2 to hit with shooting).

I call it my "I hate you all!" combo. Because that's pretty much what you're yelling across the table with this combo.

....and then it blows itself up on turn 2
i thinkt he Corpse Cart should NOT get it, personally, but oh well
I agree and I'm a VC player. Thunderstomping Zombies? At strength 2? Wot?
Thunderstomping could be the animating zombies all reaching out to grab the enemy? The classic horror movie "Got your leg!" zombie move.

Spikes:

How about using all those “save or die with no saves” spells on that anvil? That spell that asks for an initiative test that the anvil will auto-fail (and the dwarfs would probably fail it too).

dedwrekka:

How about using all those "save or die with no saves" spells on that anvil? That spell that asks for an initiative test that the anvil will auto-fail (and the dwarfs would probably fail it too).

Spikes
Spelleater/Spellbreaking rune?

Dwarfs are some of the only guys left who can get multiple "dispel scrolls"

Spikes:

What if you also use that special scroll with said spell? (I don’t know the exact wording of the item, I don’t have the book with me, sorry.)

Baggronor:

What if you also use that special scroll with said spell? (I don't know the exact wording of the item, I don't have the book with me, sorry.)
Power Scroll (Irresistible on any double + miscast)? You could do, but you're essentially voluntarily trying to miscast. Its ok if its on a low level guy I guess.

Pit of Shades/Purple Sun can both kill it as they are Initiative-based; you do need to get in range and successfully cast it (through the Dwarf dispel attempts) and that is if you actually have the spell in the first place. Not to mention the Anvil has no range so can quite comfortably deploy right back while the Dwarf units push forwards and engage your army, making it tricky for a wizard to get into range (without getting shot at least :)). But yes, its a good way to kill something that is otherwise pretty damn tough.

Shakhorth:

Seems GW updated the faq again, it’s now at v11

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=1000018&pIndex=1&aId=3000006&start=2

Small changes though.