[Archive] FAQ Development Thread

Time of Madness:

Yeah, a lot of these queries aren't really worth asking. Maybe we should have a thread for FAQs that we try to answer first and then anything the community is still confused about we can pass on to WF.

Otherwise we're going to look like idiots.

Thommy H
Agreed, you've noticed I haven't added many of the recent questions yet.

I'll take a look at everything tonight and see what is worth asking. I'll put together a new thread maybe with the completed FAQ and get some opinions on it prior to sending it in.
Time of Madness

KramDratta:

Templates hitting buildings are covered fairly well in the basic rules.

Grimbold Blackhammer
The unit suffers D6 S6 hits, each unsaved wound becoming D6 wounds. My question was what happens to the Toughness test.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Templates hitting buildings are covered fairly well in the basic rules.

Grimbold Blackhammer
The unit suffers D6 S6 hits, each unsaved wound becoming D6 wounds. My question was what happens to the Toughness test.

KramDratta
When a Wizard miscasts and a template of damage is done, D6 models are hit.  When a template weapon hits a building, D6 models are  considered touched by the template.  If the center of the hole touches the building, resolve the attack at the higher strength value (I suppose the last bit might be worth an FAQ...).

I've got a question but I'm not sure how FAQ worthy this is...  And rolling this around in my head I'm not entirely sure how to explain it without an example.  How is the spell Voice of Hatred executed?  At first I considered casting the basic version where I'd pick a unit and that unit would get Hatred.  Great, nice and simple.  But then if I cast the boosted version (perhaps on turn 1 when my entire army is clustered around my Prophet), do I then put little Hatred markers around each of my units that benefit from the spell?  Or, because it is a remains in play, do all units within range of the caster every turn gain Hatred meaning if a unit wanders too far away they'd lose the Hatred?  If it is the second version, meaning Hatred can come or go, does that mean when I cast the basic version of the spell each turn I have to choose a unit in range to have Hatred meaning I can change it from turn to turn?  I'm good either way to be honest I'm just not clear which way is intended.  Perhaps I'm missing something obvious?

Grimbold Blackhammer

KramDratta:

If the center of the hole touches the building, resolve the attack at the higher strength value (I suppose the last bit might be worth an FAQ...).

Grimbold Blackhammer
Mwahaha .. so if I'm reading it right, D6 models get to take the Toughness test?? Great news for me, not so great for our local High Elf player who bunkers his units into buildings..

zhatan87:

Mwahaha .. so if I'm reading it right, D6 models get to take the Toughness test??
I would have agreed with that if the spell doesn't say : "the model directly under the hole".
So, in that case, I would go for the worse solution for the CD player : only one model (chosen by the opponent as we can't target a specific model...), according to "the model" sentence.
Maybe we should have a thread for FAQs that we try to answer first
I do agree.

nilbog:

I've got a question but I'm not sure how FAQ worthy this is...  And rolling this around in my head I'm not entirely sure how to explain it without an example.  How is the spell Voice of Hatred executed?  At first I considered casting the basic version where I'd pick a unit and that unit would get Hatred.  Great, nice and simple.  But then if I cast the boosted version (perhaps on turn 1 when my entire army is clustered around my Prophet), do I then put little Hatred markers around each of my units that benefit from the spell?  Or, because it is a remains in play, do all units within range of the caster every turn gain Hatred meaning if a unit wanders too far away they'd lose the Hatred?  If it is the second version, meaning Hatred can come or go, does that mean when I cast the basic version of the spell each turn I have to choose a unit in range to have Hatred meaning I can change it from turn to turn?  I'm good either way to be honest I'm just not clear which way is intended.  Perhaps I'm missing something obvious?

Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimbold Blackhammer
If it's a remains in play spell, it only ends when the wizard dies or is otherwise removed (by fleeing off the table), chooses to end the spell, or casts the same spell again. Also I think if he's reduced to level 0 by miscasts. So if you cast the boosted version, it remains in play for all the units that were initially targetted, regardless of where the wizard doing the casting actually is (as long as he's on the table!). As it is remains in play, you can cast the spell on one unit in one turn, then end the spell by casting it on another unit the next turn.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

So, for example, I cast the boosted version and catch five of my units.  I put little “hatred” chits next to them that I have to keep track of all all game.  Logical but entirely un-elegant.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Hashut’s Blessing:

You have forgotten the joint most likely case (joint with recasting the spell) - it can be dispelled. It can be dispelled when cast, during the opponents magic phase with power dice (I think that’s still the case, may have changed in 8th) at it’s minimum casting number (I.E. not what you rolled), in your magic phase (using minimum casting number) and each magic phase thereafter.

Shef:

ok its been awhile since i played a game, let alone played the new army book (which i got 2 days ago) but if i was going to face an army with something like this or any other massive monster i would bring lots of pumped up heros aka Herohammer (5th edition style) or lots of artillery and focus it on the model in question. (i’ve always been damn lucky with my artillery no matter which army) if you got 2-3 cannons blasting or bolt throwers which ever it is thats alot shots for alteast 2 turns with weapons that are doing D3-D6 wounds at anywhere from 6-10Str. thats got to be enough to bring it down. i mean if a elf and bring down a Oliphant with a bow. a Great cannon with D6 wounds can bring it down. so yeah i think that if you need the 6 to hit, you don’t get to hit.

just saying who would want to play against LoA army list without lots of units to counter lots of Heavy infantry and devious artillery and monster infantry?

rabotak:

Q: the rollable options for the darkforged weapons include an entry about giving the wielder ‘eternal hatred’. this rule is not in the brb. please state what it does.

(and maybe somebody with proper english can rephrase this query :slight_smile: )

wallacer:

Q: the rollable options for the darkforged weapons include an entry about giving the wielder 'eternal hatred'. this rule is not in the brb. please state what it does.

rabotak
Eternal Hatred is a rule in the Dark Elf army list that grants hatred as per the rule book but also grants hatred every round of combat against High Elves.

Not really sure why we'd have that, unless in our case the Eternal Hatred applies to Dwarfs rather than High Elves. Or it may simply be referring to hatred every single round of combat regardless of who you're facing.

rabotak:

well, in any case, the rule can neither be found in the brb nor in our army list and therefore most definitely needs clarification… even more as eternal hatred against high elves doesn’t make any sense!

Thommy H:

So, for example, I cast the boosted version and catch five of my units.  I put little "hatred" chits next to them that I have to keep track of all all game.  Logical but entirely un-elegant.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimbold Blackhammer
What did you think you'd have to do? Loads of things in the game require you to keep track of status effects on units like that. You think Beastmen players just remember which of their units make their Primal Fury roll each turn, for example?

wallacer:

Agreed. I only mentioned that as until Tamurkhan came out the Dark Elf book was the only place I could ever recall seeing Eternal Hatred mentioned.

nilbog:

I think eternal hatred probably means the s-p hates everybody, as is the case with dark elves. The dark elf case of re-rolling every turn against high elves is just a specific racial rule, and entirely fluffy (although not much fun as a HE player when you face DE!).

khedyarl:

What did you think you'd have to do? Loads of things in the game require you to keep track of status effects on units like that. You think Beastmen players just remember which of their units make their Primal Fury roll each turn, for example?

Thommy H
Not entirely sure you need to be so aggressive on such a benign point. In addition, Beastmen state at the beginning of each round of close combat, not each close combat phase - implying that each primal fury test is rolled for each combat separately. Which is a little more elegant than having to place counters next to a bunch of units. I can't think of a single army that places a half dozen little counters around the table for a single spell. Chaos, perhaps, for Eye of the Gods? Even EotG only happens under fairly specific conditions, and only affects a single model at a time.

I think they may have intended to say that every unit within 12 inches of the Prophet gains the hatred special rule, which would be as simple as measuring 12 inches every time a unit is in close combat.

KramDratta:

The only problem I have with the Hatred spell is that it is an RIP. On a 6+ your opponent can dispel it easily with 1/2 dice, negating you the advantage if ex you’ve cast it on a unit that will be charged next turn. Also, remember that if you cast the boosted version, your opponent will still dispel it on a 6+, thus negating the benefit to multiple units. IMO it needs clarification as to wheter that was what was originally intended.

Thommy H:

Even EotG only happens under fairly specific conditions, and only affects a single model at a time.
No, you can have Eye of the Gods effects for an unlimited number of models multiple times. It's only when you get it from a Warshrine's Giver of Glory rule that it supplants previous effects. And if you have Chosen, it affects whole units.

The point is that there are lots of examples of effects applied during games that you have to keep track of. I'm a little confused as to why anyone would find this "inelegant" since it happens all the times with RiP spells and stuff. How are people marking Wounds on characters and monsters anyway? Fleeing units? Are "little chits" that offensive? It's a bizarre thing to complain about. A notebook and some markers are standard equipment for Warhammer.

khedyarl:

No, I meant Eye of the Gods {the roll} only effects a single model. I know that multiple characters {or units, given a warshrine} can have it.

Baggronor:

In order to avoid this kind of fiddlyness, it should probably have been an ‘In the next close combat phase’ type of spell. I originally assumed it was until I got the book. Its only worth casting if you’re going to use it in your next close combat phase.

Also, in large games where there are more than one prophet (quite likely seeing as he is our only Lord option), the fact it is the signature spell could get pretty irritating marking who has hatred from which caster.

I would assume ‘eternal hatred’ from the Darkforged Weapon is just re-rolls every turn vs anyone, like VC’s Infinite Hatred, but yeah, its lazy writing.