[Archive] FAQ for unofficial GT Dwarfs of Chaos Army Book

Alan the evil:

I have a question:

If I carghe a unit with a daemonsmith on a demoneater and he accepts a challenge, is the demoneater gonna attack the charachters because it is the cavalry of a challenghed hero?
Or is it gonna hit the unit becuase its attacks are impact hits??

thanks

Thommy H:

Impact hits are resolved before challenges, aren’t they?

Alan the evil:

ok tommy, this is preatty obvious…

but in the INDY armybook is written that all the attacks of deamoneaters are always resolved AS they were impact hits in initiative order…

I suppose that after the 1st turn of HtH combat, deamoneaters, AS cavalry, gonna hit the challenged caracters… but I’m not sure and before to have same problem in tournament I want to be totally sure of this…

Hashut’s Blessing:

Alric: Stop steering this off topic. You ignored Mattbird’s response stating that he will rectify his ruling to match his intention in an FAQ when your question isn’t even frequently asked (he stated that you were the only one to ask it). Not to mention rules dictate that special rules supercede core rules, unless they state you may use both: e.g. There is an elven bow (I believe Wood Elf) that shoots at strength 6 as though it were a bolt thrower, but that doesn;t mean it may shoot at 24" range and strength 3 as per a normal bow. The new rules replaces the old.

You have been informally warned and need to consider how your post comes across before making it: you may not feel like you are trolling, but think about if others do. If it is not your intention to troll, check your post before sending it, think if others may see it as trolling and rectify if necessary so that you get your point across without seeming trollish. If you wish to continue the “debate”, even though others have responded, then please start a new thread and expect people to disagree with you, maybe some will agree with you, but keep it polite and listen to the opposition’s poitn of view.

To keep this on topic and to answer a question: The impact hits hit the unit and then the daemoneater may make its basic attacks (I’m presuming it has them), but only against the challenging opponent.

Grimstonefire:

@Alan/ Thommy

Not having the pdf copy to hand, impact hits in initiative order is irrelevant really isn’t it? One thing charges another, and that is the thing that causes the impact.

Or have I misunderstood?

Thommy H:

I think the confusion comes from the fact that the Daemoneater only does impact hits. I guess you’d work it like a chariot in a challenge then - it doesn’t do any “actual” attacks, just impact hits, so it can’t fight normally. Same way as a chariot only has attacks from the creatures pulling it and its riders, yet it still does impact hits. In a challenge, the “chassis” does nothing.

Does that make sense?

mattbird:

The Daemoneater would cause impact hits as normal on the unit it is charging. It has no attacks on the turn it charges. In following turns, the Daemoneater does automatic hits to whoever is in the challenge- these are not impact hits, just auto hits.

it’s a little confusing, I realize.

Hashut’s Blessing:

GSF: In initiative order would be if it came up against another daemoneater, perhaps.

It’s been a while since I last checked the book, so I had forgotten that this was hte way that they resolved their attacks. Resultingly, I would say that, because they’re specified as impact hits, that they affect the unit instead of the challenger.

If it is intended that it simply strikes first, I would recommend that the FAQ includes a small errata to change it to Always Strikes First and then add that it strikes before other models with ASF. If both have it, return to normal initiative order.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch whilst typing, lol :stuck_out_tongue:

snowblizz:

ok tommy, this is preatty obvious...
but in the INDY armybook is written that all the attacks of deamoneaters are always resolved AS they were impact hits in initiative order...

I suppose that after the 1st turn of HtH combat, deamoneaters, AS cavalry, gonna hit the challenged caracters... but I'm not sure and before to have same problem in tournament I want to be totally sure of this...

Alan the evil
That's a tricky one. With a character+Deamoneater when charging a character+unit (if it is a lone character there's no problem) first time you'd impact hit the unit and then fight the challenge. Second time around. Tricky. A) the Deamoneter is a mount and as such would fight in the challenge. however B) impact hits are distributed like shooting.
As I understand it some effects are able to hit units outside a challenge, there are a couple of magic items, so I guess impact hits would actually hit the unit despite the challenge.

Alan the evil:

Ok… I try to explain it better (maybe the problem is my english…;P)

First turn: daemonsmith on daemoneater charges a unit with an opponent character.
My enemy want to challenghe my character. I acept.
First of all there are impacts hits on the unit.
After there are normal attacks of the character in challenge.
Supponing that both units will stand for another HtH combat and both characters are still alive they gonna follow the challenge.
NOW
I suppose (and hasuht’s blessing presume it too) that daemoneater is gonna attack the character on challenge (and it is gonna give its attack like impact hits in initiative order) but I’m not totally sure because impact hits always go on the unit…
It’s just a little doubt that I must wipe away because italian players in tournament are very bothering about these kind of rules.

EDIT: Hasuth’s blessings wrote: Beaten to the punch whilst typing, lol
me too!!

mattbird:

the Daemoneater ONLY does impact hits on the turn it charges. In subsequent rounds they are NOT impact hits, just automatic hits.

hope that helps clarify?

Hashut’s Blessing:

Ah, that makes sense then. So, when it charges, it gets no normal attacks, but causes impact hits? If so, they may need to be clarified.

mattbird:

yup, that’s the way it works. I thought it was clear in the book, but we can add it to the FAQ.

Hashut’s Blessing:

mattbird: as I said before, I’ve not read it for a while, so I forget, lol. Still, no harm in clarifying it, eh?

mattbird:

nah, no harm in doing it. We want to try to do the support part of the book as well as possible. Perhaps even a new version to make it compatible with 8th when that comes out, if needed.

Hashut’s Blessing:

What do you mean by the support part? Sorry, a little dense today :wink:

Grimstonefire:

I would say you will definately need an updated version when the 8th ed rules come out. So many of the rumours out there potentially could change a lot of things, so imo a update is essential after we see how it all pans out.

Gar Shadowfame:

Actulay book clearly names it impact hits so it would require an errata.

Whirlwind of Death

When a Daemoneater charges into combat it inflicts D6+2 impact

hits. On turns where the Daemoneater is in combat, but did not

charge, it causes D3+2 impact hits in initiative order.

mattbird:

just to make sure

1. there’s a central place to find the list

2. all FAQ and errata are addressed

3. there’s a place to find new lists we are working on

and yeah, if half the new rumors are true, we’ll have to do something to update the book…

What do you mean by the support part? Sorry, a little dense today :wink:

Hashut’s Blessing

Disastro:

Hi, here you go:

1 and 2 are correct as below
3) casting flaming sword does not replace the effects of a daemon weapon.

;)

we will have an official FAQ on the book at warhammerusa.com, which is the new semi-official "home" of the book, now that we know GW legal is cool with the book*.

* don't ask me to clarify that in a public forum. thanks. :)
1) No they shoot with S3, as there is no mention about them being in ranks.
2) Pick the lore (fire, death,shadow,metal) then roll for a spell, note that you can always change it to first spell (as wizards)
3) "Flaming sword..." gives the bearer "magical attacks" although it is disputable if it replaces the weapon or not, you can easily assume it does not and your opponent can easily assume it does. If he will keep disagreeing, roll a dice or ask referee on tourney.

Gar Shadowfame

mattbird
My question was somewhat buried in a mini-flame war, so I was never able to thank you for answering my question properly...

...So, thank you!

And many more thanks for the construction of this unofficial army book. Truly, sir, my hat is off to you.