[Archive] FAQ request - proposals and discussion

tvandyke:

Um...did anyone actually send these in? Because otherwise it means they're watching us.

Thommy H
Either that or they're responding to email requests.  I'm pretty sure they've gotten multiple emails on the Burning Bright rule.  When I sent my question in (requesting they clarify it on the FAQ), they responded back with an answer within 40 minutes and stated they'll add to the FAQ.  I don't necessarily think that my request to have them add it to the FAQ meant anything but I'm sure that when they get asked the same question over and over from multiple people it tells them it probably needs a clarification.

Ender SpiteSworn:

I always used the chalice like this anyway, I don't see why it wouldn't be played like this as there's nothing to say when to use it.

But I see a Problem:
Q. Do I roll for the K�?Tdaai �?~Burning Bright�?T rule at the start of each player turn after the 2nd?
A. No, at the start of each game turn after the 2nd.
This now means that you start taking tests from the 3rd turn onwards...

MLP
This really confuses me, this can't be what the meant. Are they intending. to say you immediately take it after the start of the 2nd turn, thus before you start the 3rd?

Their answer made it confusing ! I thought it was pretty clear before...

also they are now implying you take it at the start if a game turn, even if it's your opponents turn...

Hashut’s Blessing:

Ender Spitesworn: Actually, you’re current interpretation is what it said before and your initial interpretation is what it says now :wink:

Ender SpiteSworn:

Ender Spitesworn: Actually, you're current interpretation is what it said before and your initial interpretation is what it says now ;)

Hashut's Blessing
lol, which interpretation was my first ;-).

According to what you think it says now. If your unit of 20 k'daai fire born survive the game. How many total toughness tests would they have taken?

rubencm81:

Can anyone explain me why the Chalice is so good now with an example, please?

Maybe i do not get it, but let’s make an example:

I roll winds of magic: 6 and 3. 9 for me. I use Chalice: roll for me 1d3: -2 dice. Roll for the other player d3: -2. Ok, 7-4.

If I roll 1-1, 1 wound. If I roll 6-6, recovers 1 wound.

I only see the utility of this with low winds of magic or when only a dice remains for the other player to use a power stone and you remove it, but apart from that…

Anyone has any other example about chalice uses, please?

Far2Casual:

You don’t have to use at the beginning of the phase sir. That’s why it’s mad good.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Can anyone explain me why the Chalice is so good now with an example, please?

Maybe i do not get it, but let's make an example:

I roll winds of magic: 6 and 3. 9 for me. I use Chalice: roll for me 1d3: -2 dice. Roll for the other player d3: -2. Ok, 7-4.

If I roll 1-1, 1 wound. If I roll 6-6, recovers 1 wound.

I only see the utility of this with low winds of magic or when only a dice remains for the other player to use a power stone and you remove it, but apart from that...

Anyone has any other example about chalice uses, please?

rubencm81
With 9 Dice let us say you start the magic phase off by casting Ash Storm using 3 dice.  Your opponent definitely doesn't want that spell going off so he rolls 4 of his Dispel Dice to stop it.  You have six dice, he has 2.  Then you use the Chalice of Blood and Darkness - hopefully you'll lose 1 die to it and he'll lose all his.  So after that you'll be casting and your opponent can't stop it (unless he has a dispel scroll).  And that's the position every Wizard wants to be in!

On your opponent's turn, you have 5 Dispel Dice and your opponent has 8 Power Dice. Say he casts a nasty spell you need to stop using 5 dice and you use all your dispel dice to stop it. That leaves him with 3 Power Dice and you have none. Then you use the Chalice of Blood and Darkness to try and drain away his last dice.

Makes more sense now?

Grimbold Blackhammer

rubencm81:

Ah!! Now i see the light :slight_smile:

Thanks!

KramDratta:

On your opponent's turn, you have 5 Dispel Dice and your opponent has 8 Power Dice.  Say he casts a nasty spell you need to stop using 5 dice and you use all your dispel dice to stop it.  That leaves him with 3 Power Dice and you have none.  Then you use the Chalice of Blood and Darkness to try and drain away his last dice.

Grimbold Blackhammer
However (I think), note that if two things happen at the same time, the player whose turn it is decides what happens first. So in his turn if you want to use the chalice and he wants to cast a spell, he can chose to cast the spell and then let you use the chalice.

Discoking:

However (I think), note that if two things happen at the same time, the player whose turn it is decides what happens first. So in his turn if you want to use the chalice and he wants to cast a spell, he can chose to cast the spell and then let you use the chalice.

KramDratta
That's fine, use the chalice after you try to dispel the spell;
That way he has to decide whether the spell gets resolved or the dice are lost.

In either case he'll have less power dice.

KramDratta:

That's fine, use the chalice after you try to dispel the spell;
That way he has to decide whether the spell gets resolved or the dice are lost.

Discoking
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

Once he casts a spell, you have the option to ATTEMPT to dispel it. If you decide to do something else, then the spell's effects are worked out and the control is returned to the player's whose turn it is, who decides what happens next.

Ender SpiteSworn:

Is no one else confused about the take the toughness test at the start of each game turn after the 2nd? I think MLP was…are the really saying you don’t take it until turn 3 now?

Da Crusha:

Is no one else confused about the take the toughness test at the start of each game turn after the 2nd? I think MLP was...are the really saying you don't take it until turn 3 now?

Ender SpiteSworn
It does sound weird now. If Warhammer forge doesn't clarify this before Quake city Rumble, we could always ask Leadership 2. Im sure they will rule with the way it was though, one test at the start of each game turn from turn 2 onwards.

zhatan87:

Once he casts a spell, you have the option to ATTEMPT to dispel it. If you decide to do something else, then the spell's effects are worked out and the control is returned to the player's whose turn it is, who decides what happens next.
I don't understand. You mean that the player can say
So in his turn if you want to use the chalice and he wants to cast a spell, he can chose to cast the spell and then let you use the chalice.
Thus, a player can tell you that he casts the spell, and then you can use your useless dispel scroll for example???:)
I already ask me about the player choice, but in fact, only the player who wants to dispell the spell can make something (like using its chalice).
Therefore, I have never found a case where it can refer to the player's turn choice... Because there is no simultanity in the actions of dispelling or casting a spell...
And there are many other similar cases : sacrificial dagger (just after casting a spell), scroll (just before attempting to dispell one)...

eudaimon:

There is another possibility with the Chalice - lets say you roll a 4 and 1 for magic, and have 5 dice to your opponents 4. You cast Ash Cast with your 5 dice, then use the Chalice BEFORE you opponent dispells (it does say you can use it ANY time in the magic phase) so that your opponent now has say 2 dice to dispell with.

Da Crusha:

There is another possibility with the Chalice - lets say you roll a 4 and 1 for magic, and have 5 dice to your opponents 4.  You cast Ash Cast with your 5 dice, then use the Chalice BEFORE you opponent dispells (it does say you can use it ANY time in the magic phase) so that your opponent now has say 2 dice to dispell with.

eudaimon
wow, thats gotta be the cheesiest way to use it.... not that Im against cheese :P, but wow.

tvandyke:

Is no one else confused about the take the toughness test at the start of each game turn after the 2nd? I think MLP was...are the really saying you don't take it until turn 3 now?

Ender SpiteSworn
It does sound weird now. If Warhammer forge doesn't clarify this before Quake city Rumble, we could always ask Leadership 2. Im sure they will rule with the way it was though, one test at the start of each game turn from turn 2 onwards.

Da Crusha
I'm not confused at all.  Despite the fact that the wording, on it's own, may make you think you don't start testing until after turn 2, we know that's not the case because the wording doesn't stand on it's own.  We have the rule as it's stated in the actual Tamurkhan book.  It definitely states, starting on turn 2, then every turn thereafter.  The only question we've ever had was whether it was every game turn or player turn after that.  It's now been clarified to be every game turn.  End of story.
There is another possibility with the Chalice - lets say you roll a 4 and 1 for magic, and have 5 dice to your opponents 4. You cast Ash Cast with your 5 dice, then use the Chalice BEFORE you opponent dispells (it does say you can use it ANY time in the magic phase) so that your opponent now has say 2 dice to dispell with.

eudaimon
That would be a bit much I think. You might risk being punched in the face if you try that. In the same way I'd tell you not to poke a hibernating bear, I'd try to refrain from using it the way you suggest. :-)

nilbog:

I’ve seen similar before…ethereal, immune to magic weapons high elf mage transforms (beasts number six, kadon’s) into big monster, does a lot of damage, then ends the spell (RIP), so the unit can’t do any damage at all. But it’s pushing your luck a bit.

I always understood the k’daai T test to be taken every game turn, after (and including) the 2nd turn, during the ‘start of turn’ phase. Which is what I always thought that bit was for (animosity, stupidity etc).

burock:

Another q:

HGs roll for animosity unless they re within 6" of a CD or BC unit. Does a hellcannon count for this purpose? It has CD crew after all…

Discoking:

Another q:

HGs roll for animosity unless they re within 6" of a CD or BC unit. Does a hellcannon count for this purpose? It has CD crew after all...

burock
I say yes. But only the dwarf models, not the beast.