[Archive] [february 16:th 2010]Dawi Zharr a la Borka

Borka:

Ok it has begun. And by that I mean my chaos dwarf project. Like a year ago or something I started thinking about doing a chaos dwarf army and I really like the old big hats, so I started looking over ebay and local resources. And as you all know it’s like a swimming pool full of sharks out there and I’m still a student so it was not an option.

But then a while later I saw Xanders video linked from somewhere by Kyte and thought well I could probably do that but I wanted big hats of course.

And a few weeks ago I came upon this site after thinking about starting blood bowl and seeing the CD team and yet again realizing how cool CD are. After seeing Ishkurs work I got very motivated to start trying (I don’t think I will make as nice minis as he has but I got inspired), seeing that you can really make nice converted big hats. So I’d like to start the army blog with a thank you towards the three mentioned above probably wouldn’t have started this project if it wasn’t for them.

Now to the actual minis, this is what I’ve done so far:

I’ve decided that I’ll make 9 different big hats and try and cast them so I don’t have to make all the 60+ big hats I need for the army I have in mind. I’m gonna try first with a two part green stuff mold and if that doesn’t work out I’ll try doing heat resistent silicone molds and cast with tin.

cheers

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]

Willmark:

While no fan of hats I will say this. These look to be an excellent start. I will be following this progress here with interest.

Also welcome to the site.

Xander:

I’d say your GS mold is doomed to fail. But these would make excellent resin casts, no doubt. Well done!

Looks like Ishkur has a disciple. :wink:

Steven:

Wow! Those are brilliant! Very nice work so far. Excellent work on the hats too. Can hardly wait to see more.

Obsidian:

Great start there mate! :

Hashut’s Blessing:

Welcome and good start. I’m liking the new innovation for the hats. I see the rourth one has an ogre/orc (can’t recall which) club with a spike atop it (clever idea :wink: Works better than I’d have thought it would). The second one looks great as well: Good use of the cannon shell and skull. What is the base of that hat made from and where are the horns taken from? Is it an ordinary dwarf helmet? Well done so far, keep up the good work and that sculpting is excellent so far. I agree with Mr. Xander though: use resin rather than GS…

Borka:

Thanks guys. I haven’t really been using greenstuff to much before, but I’m satisfied. I’ve basically only used it to make hair, fur and fill gaps before, so your compliments are an encouragement.

Welcome and good start. I’m liking the new innovation for the hats. I see the rourth one has an ogre/orc (can’t recall which) club with a spike atop it (clever idea :wink: Works better than I’d have thought it would).

Hashut’s Blessing
Good spotting it’s an ogre club and I didn’t think it would work either but it worked quite allright
The second one looks great as well: Good use of the cannon shell and skull. What is the base of that hat made from and where are the horns taken from? Is it an ordinary dwarf helmet?

Hashut’s Blessing
Yes it’s actually one of the dwarf helmets like you thought. I just left the base of the helmet and its horns intact and glued the cannon shell ontop.

As a side note my first 4 bull centaurs have found their way to me from England :smiley: (bought through wallet pounding ebay ) I’ll be using the bull bodies but make my own torsos. Does anyone of you know if the BC torsos are of the same scale/size as the ordinary 5:th edition CD infantry or if they are bigger (they seem quite big to me).

cheers and thanks again :slight_smile:

Kera foehunter:

great beards make me wish i had one love the hats

clam:

Allways nice to see someone have a take on big hats. Great work! - and please keep us posted about the casting process.

dancehat:

Nice solid beard and hatwork there. This is army is bound to look good!

Hashut’s Blessing:

Just so you know, I’ve stolen your idea for the shell-hat. I haven’t got around to making it yet, but I shall have two variants of it, then get some casting materials so I can convert my 29 (I converted one so he was stabbing the drill through an Ungor’s chest for a competition) miners into CDs with ease and Big Hats!

Kera foehunter:

Dang it H. b. now how can i steal an idea if you already did ??

Boka i like the second guy what did you use for his hat

snyggejygge:

That´s a great start, the beards came out really well!

Hashut’s Blessing:

You can steal it from me, once I’ve finished, Kera :stuck_out_tongue: Borka, it seems you have created a following :wink:

Borka:

Just so you know, I've stolen your idea for the shell-hat. I haven't got around to making it yet, but I shall have two variants of it, then get some casting materials so I can convert my 29 (I converted one so he was stabbing the drill through an Ungor's chest for a competition) miners into CDs with ease and Big Hats!

Hashut's Blessing
Dang it H. b. now how can i steal an idea if you already did ??
Boka i like the second guy what did you use for his hat

Kera foehunter
Please go ahead and copy each and everyone of them if you like guys :)
It's the greatest compliment a converter can get

As for your question Kera; if you mean the second guy from the left then it's the cannonshell pieces from the dwarf cannon set and a skull from a skaven Plague monks piece.
There are three sources for the shell on each sprue.

the one in the middle was held by a hand but I shaved it of

If you meant the second one from the right then it's a piece from a an ogre club. There's two sources for it shown here

Since I'm posting anyway I'd thought a I'd make an update even though not a lot have actually happened. I've basically only added armor to them using Xanders video method. I also finished the other two hats. Here they are:

As you can see work on bighat number six has started. I'm going to try and sculpt a skull on his hat with beard like on these guys here:

cheers

Hashut’s Blessing:

Looking excellent! The armour has come out really well (I have no idea why I can’t get mine to look ANYthing like that, he he he). It looks like that bearded skull won’t be too much of a problem for you.

Ghrask Dragh:

Fantastic Hats Borka :hat off

I like the sculpting, chainmail is really well done, I think the beards would look better if they were more like the blunderbuss pics and the moustaches must be curled too :slight_smile:

Great work, can’t wait to see how number turns out :cheers

Vredesbyrd:

Some great looking stuff here mate, I take my hat off to you. :hat off xD I love that smiley.

I’ll use your cannon shell and Ogre club ideas for hats if you don’t mind, they’re two pieces I wouldn’t think about using at all for converting big hats. :cheers

Borka:

Ok here comes the second update. I’m waiting on some marauder axes to arrive so work on the dwarfs have stopped and instead I started converting one unit of hard hobgoblins (shield+LA): this is what they look like before painting:

I’ve done them from the BfSP goblins. I’ve tried to make them a bit taller than your average night goblin. I put a none-converted goblin for comparison in the picture. I’m a bit uncertain should I make them even taller?

Overall I’m not really pleased with how the GS:ing turned out on most of them, but perhaps painting will conceal that.

I’m having a very hard time coming up with a fitting banner symbol for them though. I saw in an other army blog that a rune of hashut could be made to look ok, but that’s perhaps a bit against fluff, I mean the hobgoblins don’t really worship him. Some sort of skull symbol maybe?

Any ideas guys?

Hashut’s Blessing:

I think the GS work looks impeccable I’d say if you could make them taller, do so, but I’m not sure how. Perhaps cut under their arm pits and add in a little more length to their torsos. As for a banner symbol, do a little research into Mongolian imagery if you can and add that or simply use a wolf head or, as you suggested, an oft-found skull symbol. Shame we have to wait to see the CDs finished, but the HGs are coming along well!