[Archive] Filmdeg's army progress!

Filmdeg:

Hey everyone!

I’ve posted a little bit here and thought it was about time I posted a thread for the WIP on my big hat army. Right now I don’t have any fluff or story or names about my army - that’ll come in time, for now I’m happy just to be painting them all up! I’m a pretty slow painter, getting serious with starting this army around the beginning of 2018. Some models are from that time, and I’ve improved since, but I’m not planning on retouching them (though maybe I will in future). Sadly I don’t own a big enough light box to capture the army as a whole, so for now here’s individual unit pics!

First up is my sorcerer and currently my only leader figure! Sadly I don’t own the banner pole for him, but it’s on my to-buy list.

Next up is my warrior squad - currently at 10, but I’d like to try expand it to 20. I really enjoyed painting these, and to be honest really can’t wait to get my hands on more to expand the squad and also get 2nd one going.

Here’s the bull centaurs - these were some of the earliest figures I painted, and looking at these pics now, I can tell and I’m cringing a bit, but at the time I was really happy with them.

These two (green handle and blue handle) I must admit, I am still pretty chuffed with.

The Earthshaker Canon is probably the unit that appealed to me the most when I was getting into the hobby. I remember even as a teenager (I’m currently 28) and reading about this old army and seeing this model and thinking how cool it was. Here’s my Earthshaker and crew.

I also have a lot of love for the Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher. I always just imagine it having this absolutely gnarly sound when firing. I’ve tried some freehand on this, not much but it was a big step for me as a painter!

These Blunderbuss are some of my most recently finished models (it was only earlier this month I completed them) - again I’d like to maybe expand this unit, and also start a second in future.

Mighty Lammasu! Again, another model I think is incredibly cool. The body etc is a bit basic, but I was really pleased with how the head/face came out.

I’ve yet to paint the sorcerer mount for him, he’s on my to-do list!

This model is probably my favourite so far. I entered him into the recent Golden Hat comp, and whilst I didn’t place, he’s probably the model I’m most proud of so far.

And lastly! This guy I’ve finished tonight. Starting work on my 2nd Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher. I’m pretty pleased with him overall, and again tried some freehand which was a little shaky, but its alright!

Its a real labour of love.

For me, I have two goals with this army. The first is to play 6th Edition with them. I’ve always been a collector rather than a gamer (I’ve never actually played) but I got into the hobby during 6th, so that’s the “golden age” as it were for me, and the ruleset feels the most appealing to me. Secondly, to have an army I can proudly display on tabletop!

I have a bunch more stuff I still need to buy. The biggest thing I need to get is the Taurus Lord, but finding one that won’t cost an arm and a leg has proved difficult so far. I’d like to expand my current warrior squad to 20, and get a second 20-strong squad going. Same with the Blunderbuss. After that, I’d look at Hobgoblins, but they’re crazy expensive and for now I’m content with the CDs themselves!

Thanks for looking!

Jasko:

My man, that is just a lovely bunch of classic Chaos Dwarf models!

I mean I like the modern look of the Legion of Azgorh as much as the next guy, but it is a little sad they got rid of the big hats. I mean look at these models! :hat They really warm my heart, as I started way back in 5th edition as well :hat off

I particularly like that you went with a likewise classic color scheme, bright blue, red and yellow, very nice. I’m already looking forward until you build a bigger light box to make group shots. Keep them coming! :cheers

Gargolock:

I really, really like the death rocket crew with the freehand Karl Franz, he literally has a bullet with his name on it. Great job. I really like your simple yet beautiful paintjobs. Also that amazing colour scheme gets me. Excited to see progress. Looks great.

tjub:

Thats a great start, and wonderful models! WFB 6th edition was the edition I never got to play, so can’t say much about it. But of course there is always something special with the edition you start with, my goal has always been to get back to the feeling I had that first year when I found Warhammer… :cheers

Filmdeg:

My man, that is just a lovely bunch of classic Chaos Dwarf models!
I mean I like the modern look of the Legion of Azgorh as much as the next guy, but it is a little sad they got rid of the big hats. I mean look at these models! :hat They really warm my heart, as I started way back in 5th edition as well :hat off
I particularly like that you went with a likewise classic color scheme, bright blue, red and yellow, very nice. I'm already looking forward until you build a bigger light box to make group shots. Keep them coming! :cheers

Jasko
Thanks dude! I must admit, the LoG stuff from FW don't really do much for me, they just feel a bit bland and generic.

When I started out, I wanted to try paint them close to the original schemes from the books! Big bold colours :D
I really, really like the death rocket crew with the freehand Karl Franz, he literally has a bullet with his name on it.

Gargolock
It took me about 45 minutes all in - my hands were SO shaky, and in the end I settled with that.
Thats a great start, and wonderful models! WFB 6th edition was the edition I never got to play, so can't say much about it. But of course there is always something special with the edition you start with, my goal has always been to get back to the feeling I had that first year when I found Warhammer... :cheers

tjub
Thanks man! Yeah, for me 6th ed is peak grim. I've never actually played it myself, but campaigns like Storm of Chaos and Dark Shadows, and all the models from that era etc just really appeal to me!

Hashoooot:

So cool to see the classic models restored to glory! The 6 strong squadron of bull centaurs is pretty impressive! Any hobgoblins lying still hidden somewhere?

Admiral:

Great palette and freehand patterns and writing! Great stuff! :cheers

Filmdeg:

So cool to see the classic models restored to glory! The 6 strong squadron of bull centaurs is pretty impressive! Any hobgoblins lying still hidden somewhere?

Hashoooot
Yeah, I was chuffed with them at the time, but looking at them now I can see plenty of flaws.

Right now, I only have 2 hobgoblin warrios. I'd LOVE to get the full shabam - warriors, sneaky gits, archers, wolf riders etc. That's crazy expensive though. For now I'm focusing on building up the Chaos Dwarfs, and once they're done, then I think I'd like to atleast get a squad of hobgob warriors and archers (and wolf riders, and sneaky gits...)
Great palette and freehand patterns and writing! Great stuff! :cheers

Admiral
Thanks!

Uther the unhinged:

Such a lovely army. Beautifully painted big hats are hard to beat! You have done a fantastic job. Good luck with the collecting, I can�?Tt wait to see more.

Filmdeg:

This evening I finished my 2nd Deathshrieker! Had loads of fun painting them, a little muddy in places, but tbf most things I paint are a little muddy, and they’re tabletop standard atleast!

Uther the unhinged:

Waaaay more than my table top standard! They look really nice. Good to see they have a present for the emperor. Such kind hearted dawi zharr

tjub:

Looks good! I like the look that is in his eyes.
And practice makes perfect, so keep at it. :slight_smile:

Jasko:

Really nice, well done again!

Is it just me or wouldn’t it be time for a nice group shot of all your finished models? :cheers

Jackswift:

Your army is coming along quickly. Always love to see these models well done in an authentic old school paint scheme. These are going to look beautiful on the tabletop. Keep em coming!

Filmdeg:

Progress has been pretty slow lately as I’ve been away from home lots over the last few weeks, but yesterday I finished this champion!

tjub:

Cool, he is one of the most iconic CD models IMO. Well done! :slight_smile:

Uther the unhinged:

He is really well done. Your army will look fabubulous on the table.

Jasko:

Ah, you really have a lovely project going with the classic Chaos Dwarf models and a very fitting paint scheme, really well done! I still cannot wait for a nice group shot :hat

Zanthrax:

Great work bro love it

Nicodemus:

Good old classic colour scheme! Great work. These are turning out great, and the blending of the flame pattern on the last guy’s hat is good.

Keep 'em coming!

~N