[Archive] Finds on eBay and Strategies for defeating Extortionist Pricing

Willmark:

I’m on eBay quite often, and since I’m a non-curly bearded, non-hat, 3rd edition marauder style of chaos dwarf, there is little I need out there, except for the rare hard to find stuff in terms of CDs.

So in in effort to:

1) Thwart those unscrupulous eBayers out there (read: “SWSNBN”).If she starts watching this thread we can simply close it.

2) Get CD figures into the hands of those that will actually use them I propose the following:

If you find an CD related item out there that you have no interest in getting, but may be useful to others, post it here with a link. Or alternatively if you don’t want it but someone (you know who she is) is about to pick up something for next to nothing so she can jack the price sky high, you can likewise post the link here.

This IMHO has a much greater chance of succeeding rather then iamahobgblin’s idea, while noble, is doomed to failure. In this scenario its up to individuals to buy what they want or not (much like eBay itself). The difference here is that we are giving each other a heads up, nothing more. I’m totally fine with losing an auction to someone on this site who I know (guess) will use the models, others… no so much.

So to recap add your link here for those things you might not want, but others will. I’ll start it off:

Found:

Parts for a CD Lammasu:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260138862465&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

catbarf:

There’s a bunch of items on there for infantry right now- and if you check the history, Hobby401 has out-bid Essexgirl by a dollar or so on each item.

catbarf:

Oh, a link:

http://search.ebay.com/chaos-dwarf_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfromZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsabfmtsZ1QQsacatZQ2d1QQsaobfmtsZinsifQQsaprchiZQQsaprcloZQQssPageNameZWLRS

And look, a Whirlwind for $10- DON’T LET ESSEXGIRL GET IT!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Warhammer-Chaos-Dwarf-Whirlwind_W0QQitemZ230167568685QQihZ013QQcategoryZ44127QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Willmark:

This is exactly what I’m talking about nice job! I might snag it since I want this model and I don’t want her to have it.

wallacer:

This IMHO has a much greater chance of succeeding rather then iamahobgblin's idea, while noble, is doomed to failure. In this scenario its up to individuals to buy what they want or not (much like eBay itself). The difference here is that we are giving each other a heads up, nothing more. I'm totally fine with losing��an auction to someone on this site who I know (guess) will use the models, others.... no so much.

Willmark
I agree, enlightened self interest is more likely to be a successful strategy than artificially regulating the price.
Giving a heads up about stuff on eBay shouldn't be hard considering how many members this site has.

Willmark:

This IMHO has a much greater chance of succeeding rather then iamahobgblin's idea, while noble, is doomed to failure. In this scenario its up to individuals to buy what they want or not (much like eBay itself). The difference here is that we are giving each other a heads up, nothing more. I'm totally fine with losing an auction to someone on this site who I know (guess) will use the models, others.... no so much.

Willmark
I agree, enlightened self interest is more likely to be a successful strategy than artificially regulating the price.
Giving a heads up about stuff on eBay shouldn't be hard considering how many members this site has.

wallacer
Exactly. Collectively we are many more "eyes" on the eBay space then she could ever hope to have. It doesn't matter how granular her search criteria is you will miss something. With hundreds of us watching it it becomes increasingly difficult to snatch something for a few dollars and turn around and sell it for $70.00+

I've also noticed another pattern of her. She uses some sort of bid assist software which must be auto bidding at a amount that the opening bit is. There is no way she is scouring the eBay just through searches.

Once she has less and less CD stuff coming in she might be inclined to drop her prices. I have no problem with people making money on a mark up. I do have a problems with people claiming that models are increasingly rare (they really aren't) GW sold them for years), as a justification for outrageous pricing.

Willmark:

Ahhh the power of eBay…

Yet another way to defeat the extortinist buyers of eBay… want to know who is bidding on certain items… use the following with their eBay ID.

http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/AdvSearch?sofindtype=3

type in name get results and use their own bidding as a search mechanism against them.

Additionally:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120155876586

NOTE: Simply do a search on her there is a boatload of Chaos Dwarf figures out there right now that she is winning for not that much

Willmark:

Additionally:

http://toys.search.ebay.com/_Toys-Hobbies_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfrppZ25QQsacatZ220QQsassZheathers684

Thommy H:

The one issue I see with this thread is if two of us want the same item. I don’t really want to get in a bidding war with someone who was nice about my army or who gave me some painting tips. Perhaps it might be worth having a policy of mentioning when we’re intending to bid on something? That way if two of us want the same item we can come to some kind of agreement via PM, either to split the winnings if it’s something large or for one to hold off in exchange for the other guy holding off next time the same thing happens?

Neither of those options are really that feasible, but I’d rather avoid falling out with anyone here because of ebay.

Willmark:

I'm totally fine with losing an auction to someone on this site who I know (guess) will use the models, others.... no so much.

Willmark
:)

Thommy H:

Well I’m not - I want my stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

torn:

i think if we bid on something we should put down our maximum price we are willing to pay, then if another sees that their maximum willing is less there is no point bidding on it just to bump the price up for the other person.

e.g. if i bidded on an earthshaker max bid �15 but it only shows �5 you will know by bidding �10 all you are doing is pushing up how much i would have to pay, but if you were willing to pay �16 for it you know i wont be outbidding you because you already know what im willing to pay. does that make sense?

Vodevil:

I think it is a good idea to share our bidding intentions, everyone wins that way.

Is anyone else looking at these cats?

http://tinyurl.com/2lqpt7

This is basically the only thing I’m in need of, so I’m willing to go pretty high on them. (Plus I’m loaded :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Willmark:

Well I'm not - I want my stuff :P

Thommy H
Would you rather "She Who Shall Not be Named" get them instead?
I think it is a good idea to share our bidding intentions, everyone wins that way.

Vodevil
To a point sharing information is good. Telling each other how much we are going to bid is not a good move. "SWSNBN" could very easily start referencing this thread once she starts getting regularly outbid. Its already happening, she is starting to getting outbid regularly on CD stuff now that she was picking up for next to nothing previously.

Thommy H:

Well I'm not - I want my stuff :P

Thommy H
Would you rather "She Who Shall Not be Named" get them instead?

Willmark
Well, it's nicer to see someone who'll use a model get it, but ultimately, if anyone but me wins an auction then I don't get the figure I wanted. It makes no odds where it goes afterwards if what I wanted was to have the item myself.

Willmark:

Thommy H:

What choice do any of us have? We’re all posting here because we want Chaos Dwarf figures: the reason I dislike essexgirl is because she’s making it harder for anyone who wants such items to get them - and that includes me. The reason I was so skeptical of iamahobgoblin’s scheme was because I thought it depended too much on pure altruism. Yeah, I want Chaos Dwarf figures to go to Chaos Dwarf players rather than someone who’s just trying to screw over those same players, but if I had to pick a particular player to have them, it would be myself.

I don’t think I’m being unreasonable, because everyone is thinking the same thing, I’ll wager - and that’s exactly why I suggested the “gentleman’s agreement” system. I’m not going to give up on an auction I want to win just because someone else here wants it too, so there needs to be something to deal with the situation when there’s a conflict for the idea behind this thread to work.

Willmark:

I'm not going to give up on an auction I want to win just because someone else here wants it too, so there needs to be something to deal with the situation when there's a conflict for the idea behind this thread to work.

Thommy H
That's not the point of this thread at all; its merely a "heads up" to others if you see something out there that you might not want, but know others might want to purchase. In no way shape or form is it intended to be anything other than that...Trying to regulate anything else will be an exercise in futility IMHO.

Thommy H:

Yeah, I’m just trying to preempt any problems that might arise when two people who want an item someone else links to. It’d be silly to have a bidding war when we can work out a deal on this forum instead.

Canix:

I think we might be making it to complex here .i propose if we just outbid SHSNBN,we can all do this for items we want(��or we just dont want her to get if were loaded)This is what i am doing and there are enough of us with an interest,also things come up so frequently��there is enough for everyone , i am choosing not to bid on any items that other players are bidding for (you can tell)and any excess i may get i will sell here .:hat

sorry about the dodgy post i am watching the daily show [/b]