[Archive] First game with LoA

cornixt:

The stuff that CDs have as default aren’t Magic Items, they are equipment that is magical. Page 501 makes it clear that a character can have more than one magic weapon anyway, and must choose which to use at the start of combat, you just can’t purchase two items from the Magic Items category.

Personally, I’d say that if purchase a Magic Weapon then you must use it - you can’t use the other unless your Magic Item is destroyed, then you can use it and gain its effects. You can’t ever have more than one suit of armour though, so if you purchase Magic Armour and it gets destroyed than you are left naked.

Thommy H:

Page 501 makes it clear that a character can have more than one magic weapon anyway, and must choose which to use at the start of combat.
No it doesn't. "The Balance of Power" rule on page 500 is the last word on this - in summary, you can only have one item from each category. Only special characters are possible exceptions. The "I'm Using This One" rule on page 501 addresses what happens in these rare situations - it doesn't in and of itself allow the use of multiple magic weapons.

Grimstonefire:

Hmm… That same argument of magical weapon does not = Magic Weapon…  I was reading all about this on warseer earlier.

Even if it was a mundane weapon that happened to have some magical effects you’re still paying for it already out of the points.

Imo the best solution, to be added to the list of things I’d like them to change would be to make it an option exclusively available to Sorcerer Prophets in the same way as Blood of Hashut.  Magical or not it makes it clear and opens up more options.

I’ll have to start a list now I think of all these things to note.

khedyarl:

I’m thinking Cornixt is correct. We aren’t buying the character two magic weapon items. You would simply choose at the beginning of combat which weapon to use - Darkforged, or {in this case} Hammer of Hashut.

We’re paying a big premium on the prophet, I don’t foresee this causing any problems, and would appear to be the RAI. Anyone have a convincing dissenting opinion?

Thommy H:

I'm thinking Cornixt is correct.
He isn't. Page 500 of the RFBRB is really clear. You can't buy two magic weapons. The debate is whether a Dakforged Weapon counts as a magic weapon, or is just a piece of equipment that grants magical attacks, not whether you can somehow get two magic weapons. Which you can't.

khedyarl:

Not in regards to balance of power, but in regards to characters having two magical weapons. That was my point above - my post was pretty clear that I was stating that the Darkforged weapon doesn’t appear to have been intended to be a magical item slot.

Thommy H:

Yes, if a character has two magic weapons, he has to pick one. But, if the Darkforged Weapon is absolutely a “magic weapon”, then the Sorcerer-Prophet physically can’t take another one - the rules on using them are irrelevant in that case. If it’s not a “magic weapon”, then he doesn’t have to chose - he must use the magic weapon he bought in addition to his basic equipment.

So the issue boils down to whether the Darkforged Weapon is a magic item or not. If it is, you can’t take a magic weapon, so the point is moot. If it’s not, then you’d have to replace it wholesale anyway.

Although I’d be interested to see how the rules for the Darkforged Weapon are explained anyway. If it permanently grants characteristic increases or special rules for example, that muddies the water even further.

Baggronor:

p171
Each Darkforged weapon counts as being a magical hand weapon...
So, according to the above quote, RAW would state that it is a magical hand weapon and not a magic weapon ;P
I would treat it in the same manner as a Wight King - his default weapons have magical attacks that also grant other abilities (Killing Blow in his case), but is free to choose another weapon that will replace his Wight weapon(s).

Grimstonefire:

The weapon has the ability (so it presumably can be ‘destroyed’).   It does confer 2 special rules (being breath weapon and eternal hatred), so presumably they can be lost if the weapon is destroyed.

Just a guess.

@Baggronor

Yes, that hits the nail on the head.

Magical Weapon V Mundane weapon with Magical Attacks special rule in character profile.

In this instance I’m guessing its the former as none of the other characters have magical attacks.

Thommy H:

Or replaced, as Baggronor says. The Wight King is probably a sensible precedent - I couldn’t think of anything besides Chaos Knights that had a weapon that granted magical attacks.

khedyarl:

That’s probably the most sensible way of doing that.

On another note, I’ve been having some success with the Iron Daemon {yes, really} as a monster hunter/warmachine hunter.  Since it usually hits on 5s, but has a decent amount of shots, and each hit does a S6 AP hit with d3 wounds, it’s the perfect weapon to take down anything that isn’t a Hellpit, or Hydra {regen}.

I’ve been driving it 2d6+6 inches up the table first turn on a flank, then turning it on an angle toward the enemy and just slowly driving up, blasting holes in anything largish.  It’s too big to take down via shooting with anything but a couple warmachine hits {that would otherwise be hitting more important things}.  It’s expensive, but I find it frees up my warmachines to target opposing machines - leaving their troops against my Infernals/Flamesworn.  I’m not sold that the ID is useless, yet.  It’s overcosted, certainly, but there isn’t much in our list that isn’t.

{All success was at the 2500 point level, I can’t imagine where I would find the points for one under that}.

EDIT: Clarified hit roll.

Steve D:

I am building an Iron demon - looks a good monster hunter and allows the rockets etc to go after big units etc

Hashut’s Blessing:

I was going to say what baggronor said. Magic Weapon is capitalised as well, whereas DFW says “counts as” and “magical hand weapon”. if it were a Magic Weapon, using the hand weapon rules, it would says “A Darkforged Weapon is a Magic Weapon.” because it is only if stated otherwise that they count as such.

It is a grey area and down to poor wording, but the wording they have leans far more towards being able to buy new Magic Weapons than not.

I still wouldn’t want him in combat anyway (a caster, in my mind, not a fighter. Just can defend himself!) and has the DFW in case he ends up there (although it can give non-combat bonuses too).