[Archive] G2's Big Hat Chaos Dwarf Army

G.2:

Hello All

My Earthshaker Crew - More images like this one further down

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]

G.2:

I have been collecting/buying Chaos Dwarfs for about 18 months now, which is most part of 2009.

My Collecting is directly related to the to discovering of Hobgoblins. I was very drawn to them, the first time I saw a unit of them, and after some quick internet searching I discovered Chaos Dwarfs.

Now I am not a big fan of Chaos in general (as my other armies would prove - I collect old-school Empire and old-school Dwarfs), but somehow the lure of the Big Hats was too much to resist, so I now have an army of Chaos Dwarfs. I was curious the other day to see exactly how much I had collected and what more I needed to buy, so I pulled down all the boxes which I knew had various Chaos Dwarf figs in them, and I started lining them all up on the dining room table (at this stage my children were in bed).

After lining them all up, I was quite surprised at how many models I do have. Of course I had to take some photos, and here they are.

Note: I am sure I have missed a couple of models here and there especially the ones that are on my painting table.

Whole Army

Bigger Image

Left Side

Bigger Image

Right Side

Bigger Image

I would also like to add some photos of some painted/partially painted Chaos Dwarfs.

I am still deciding on a colour scheme, but here are some photos of what there is so far.

Note: Ignore the “100s hours of painting” that is for another forum that I am on.

Note 2: Most of my paints were in storage when I painted this guys, and I had a limited pallette range.

Here are the photos.

Loki:

So many wonderful big hats :smiley: Great looking army that you have got G.2, I like the blue for the big hats very different very cool, how many point do you think you have there ?

G.2:

So many wonderful big hats :D Great looking army that you have got G.2,

Loki
Thanks heaps Loki. I am very proud of it, I can not wait to get it painted. - Just waiting unitil I set up my work area a bit better AND get some more of my supplies out of storage (we have just moved house).
I like the blue for the big hats very different very cool,

Loki
I did too, but now I am not so sure ?! I think that the gold is not quite right.
how many point do you think you have there ?

Loki
I don't really know, I think I will have to do a count, as I am curious to find out. Mind you, I still have a few things that I have not displayed, like 2 Hobgoblin Bolt Throwers and another Lamasu.

Fequiil:

that army is huge!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Time of Madness:

Damn! I’m jealous! Your army is bigger then mine :frowning: What on earth are you going to do with 3 astragoths :slight_smile: haha

Time of Madness

G.2:

that army is huge!

Fequiil
Thank you, I am still collecting, but I am now concentrating on buying pieces that I need. Like more wolf-riders.
Damn! I'm jealous! Your army is bigger then mine :( What on earth are you going to do with 3 astragoths :) haha
Time of Madness

Time of Madness
Actually I think I have 2 more Astragoths somewhere. This is what happens when you buy other peoples armies, you end up with multiple items (which is not bad for core units), as well as some guy was selling them cheap on eBay. So I may use them for trades.

G.2:

I am keen to paint some more minis, so I thought that I would restart this old thread of mine, as inspiration.

A new photo of an old painted mini. There are more NEWer minis coming.

Another angle

Bull Centaur. I want to re-photograph him with the blue background, just to keep my photos consistent.

Another angle

Another angle

Early colour scheme

Another early colour scheme

G.2:

The following minis were NOT painted by me, but they are part of my collection. These (and few more) were purchased in a bulk lot from eBay. I had intentions of stripping them, so they can be repainted. But I have had a change of heart. I will keep them as they are, until at least I finished painting my un-painted minis.

Big Hats - Not painted by me, but are part of my collection

Hobgoblins - Not painted by me, but are part of my collection

obelix:

old school man! wow! thats a collection!

also great ideas of colour schemes!the green is cool and creasy!

i just cant understand how somebody sell minis witch are painted whith so much heart :(…but its good for your collection :wink:

G.2:

I certainly love my old school minis. Here is the latest colour scheme I have come up with. Lets call it “Aqua”. I would say it is my favourite so far.

Note: The mini was undercoated red, and there a few places where you can see the red showing through. I will go back and touch them up, when get a chance. This guy was more of a test mini, than anything.

I have also included a picture of my bull centaur, which was the 2nd last mini I have painted, which was another option of what my whole army will be painted. But I am leaning towards the Aqua Chaos Dwarf. Any opinions?

The Aqua Big Hat - Front

The Aqua Big Hat - Back

The Aqua Big Hat - Side

The Red & Orange Bull Centaur - Front

The Red & Orange Bull Centaur - 3/4

The Red & Orange Bull Centaur - Side

Bassman:

Aqua is a cool and original color scheme. VEry well executed. So said this I could say: go with aqua. But there is a problem: from the back it looks like… high elves… too brigth and clena to be Chaos Dwarfish :frowning:

Dunno, blue and black works, but white and blue… mmmmmmmh

G.2:

These minis are a repaint/touchup of the mounted hobgoblins, I have shown earlier.

I wanted to repaint these minis so that they looked closer to my style of painting, and would thus fit it better with my upcoming army. I like my minis to have darker shadows and sharper highlights.

So I basically did just that. I applied several coats of ink washes (various colours) and a few more hightlights, using the dry-brush technique.

Oh yeah, and I rebased them so that they looked consistent.

The Repainted Hobgoblin

Two mounted warriors

The Command Group

All Four Together

Comparison of the before and after

Naagruz:

Nice work!

I really like the colors you picked for your CDs.:cheers

G.2:

Now that I have started painting the army. I may give myself a pledge for 2011 to keep me motiviated. I am not really sure how to set it up, but I have an idea.

Aqua is a cool and original color scheme. VEry well executed. So said this I could say: go with aqua. But there is a problem: from the back it looks like… high elves… too brigth and clena to be Chaos Dwarfish :frowning:

Dunno, blue and black works, but white and blue… mmmmmmmh

Bassman
Aqua is a cool and original color scheme. VEry well executed.

Bassman
Thank you very much.
…from the back it looks like… high elves… too brigth and clena to be Chaos Dwarfish :frowning:

Bassman
I can see what you are saying. I tried some colour variations using Photoshop, and I am not really happy with any of the alternatives. I guess I am going to have to live with the fact that my Chaos Dwarfs may be perceived to having a “High Elf” complex.
Nice work!

I really like the colors you picked for your CDs.

Naagruz
Thank you. I am keen on painting up some more, and then ranking them up to see how they look.

G.2:

Here are the latest minis for my Big Hat army.

Earthshaker Crew

Earthshaker Crew

Earthshaker Crew

Great Taurus - No Rider

Great Taurus - No Rider

Blue in VT:

Dude…though normally not a huge fan of the Big hat Variety of CDs I really like your army…your color choices are very interesting and work well…keep it coming!

Also your photography skills seem to be improving as well!

Cheers,

Blue

Nicodemus:

Dude...though normally not a huge fan of the Big hat Variety of CDs I really like your army...your color choices are very interesting and work well...keep it coming!

Also your photography skills seem to be improving as well!

Blue in VT
Haha, very funny Blue. Seriously though...

I can't see any images in this thread. Nothing seems to be loading for any of the images. Are the internets down?

~N

nitroglysarine:

I can see the images.

Bassman:

Why do not use the heartshaker crew colour scheme instead of the aqua? That’s a proper Chaos Dwarf scheme! :smiley:

I like the hobgobbos!