[Archive] G2's Big Hat Chaos Dwarf Army

Nicodemus:

Ah OK, images are all loading now. … looks great.

tjub:

Impressive collection you have there! :slight_smile:

Waste Rider:

Indeed, this is one serious horde of classic CD minis and with paint jobs nothing short of superb, “aqua hat” and the hobgob wolf riders being my favorites so far. Will you be using the “blank” shields these came with? Interested to see what you do there.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Excellent stuff!

I love how just something as simple as a dry-brush and some grass really improved the look of the original Hobgoblins on Wolf-back, yet kept the original charm of the painted models. In my own collection, I’m starting to appreciate the simplicity of detail painting models that were previously painted by myself in trying to finish up models that I painted before.

I also like those shields the Bull Centaurs have.

G.2:

Here is what is on my painting table. Most of these are nearly finished, but some still need some more paint.

A small sample of what is currently being painted

Red Chaos Dwarfs

Aqua Chaos Dwarfs

Black Orcs

My Painting Table

clam:

Simpley the best big hats we seen here in a long time - and the colour scheme is fabulous. Like them a lot. And that said - I have to praise the black orcs even higher. See we share favourite choice of paints - so will you let me in on you secrets for doing their skin tone?

G.2:

Thanks everyone who has commented recently. I will be addressing your comments. And to Clam, … all I can say is I am “surprised” at someone of your painting abilities and skill and experience asking me for my skin recipe. I guess I have improved my painting skills to a level that people like Clam are asking for “secrets”.

If you are wondering why I am so surprised, well have a look at my thread (from another forum), and notice the date that I started it and the quality of my painting.

(Hint: I only re-started painting again just over a year ago - after about 19 years of retirement from the hobby).

100 hours of painting ← Link

For those you who are not going over to read my thread, here is what I painted on 12 January 2010. That is only 14 months ago.

@Clam

This is my secret Recipe

1. Black Undercoat

2. Basecoat of Gunship Green (VMC 088), a 2-3 thin coats allowing some of the black to show through.

3. Mix Dark Sand (VMC 123) and some Intermediate Green (VMC 074), about 50-50 mix. Dry brush this onto the skin.

4. Add some more Dark Sand and a quick and light dry brush. This will make the skin look really pale and chalky.

5. The stage that bring the skin to life is a mix of Black Green + Blue + Black ink (Vallejo Ink) , about 5 - 2 - 1 ratio, and HEAPS of water, to make it really runny. I just used the “soapy” water from my water pot/Rinse jar.

6. Once this is dry repeat steps 3 and 4, but really really lightly. Just to pick up the major protruding parts/details like the jaw and the belly.

Note 1: I add a 3-4 drops of dishwashing detergent to my water pot, so it helps when I clean my brushes, it also helps with the diluting of my washes, especially the really dark ones, and the ink based ones.

Note 2: I used a mix of the Black Green + Blue inks about 1 - 3 ratio for the armour. This was on top the the normal way I paint armour. So when you are mixing the above mentioned inks keep the black seperate (if you can, I use a wet pallete so it is easy to do, as it is flat-ish), and you can use the same ink colours for orc flesh as well as armour.

I hope this helps.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Wow! What a differentce! …But you still need to paint the eyes in on your dwarfs! :smiley:

starscream:

Dammit, its threads like this urging me to break out the big hats again.

Nice work fella

Waste Rider:

To echo Clam, I’m a fan of what you did to those BOs and many thanks for the write-up… inks are kind of tricky for me.

OK, enough forum lurking… I’ve got minis to prep :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Classy work, G2!

G.2:

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It is really nice to see people appriciating my work. Especially when the level of painted minis on here is so good.

… inks are kind of tricky for me.

Waste Rider
To help add a little “volume” to your inks, I have mixed Devlan Mud and inks together (with water).

G.2:

Wow! What a differentce! ...But you still need to paint the eyes in on your dwarfs! :D

Tarrakk Blackhand
I have not mastered the eyes yet. I am trying, and every now and then they look good, but it is not somehing I am really comfortable with - YET.

Pyro Stick:

Great collection of models here. I really like the almost pastely colour palate you are using. Have you decided on one colour scheme or are you going to have a few different coloured units in your army? My personal favourite is the blue colour scheme.

G.2:

Great collection of models here. I really like the almost pastely colour palate you are using.

Pyro Stick
Thank you and Thank you. I have now stoped purchasing any more Chaos Dwarfs, as I believe that I have enough. ....except.....I want to have more metal warriors and replace the plastics.
Have you decided on one colour scheme or are you going to have a few different coloured units in your army? My personal favourite is the blue colour scheme.

Pyro Stick
I havn't decided which way I am going. It is now down to the red vs the aqua (blue). I was origianally going for the aqua too, but now that I can see the red in action, I am torn. So I am currently painting more minis in BOTH colour schemes, and hopefully seeing them ranked up will help me decide.

Pyro Stick:

Great collection of models here. I really like the almost pastely colour palate you are using.

Pyro Stick
Thank you and Thank you. I have now stoped purchasing any more Chaos Dwarfs, as I believe that I have enough. ....except.....I want to have more metal warriors and replace the plastics.

G.2
Thats exactly what i want to do. I think i have at least 50 plastics and i hate them lol.

G.2:

Here are the latest minis to be painted. They were originally painted black and red, and because of that, I didn’t want to stray too far away from that colour scheme. But I am still not convinced that I really like them. What do you guys think? Also the skin is a little too green for my liking.

I am really happy with the way that their blades turned out.

The minis need a couple of touch-ups here and there, and to be based, but they are 98% finished.

Sneaky Gits

Sneaky Gits - different angle

Sneaky Gits - All Four

This is a Sneaky Git, I painted on 8 February 2010 - Aprox 14 months ago. I am almost embarrassed to say that I painted it.

clam:

Thanks everyone who has commented recently. I will be addressing your comments. And to Clam, .... all I can say is I am "surprised" at someone of your painting abilities and skill and experience asking me for my skin recipe. I guess I have improved my painting skills to a level that people like Clam are asking for "secrets".

@Clam

This is my secret Recipe

1. Black Undercoat
2. Basecoat of Gunship Green (VMC 088), a 2-3 thin coats allowing some of the black to show through.
3. Mix Dark Sand (VMC 123) and some Intermediate Green (VMC 074), about 50-50 mix. Dry brush this onto the skin.
4. Add some more Dark Sand and a quick and light dry brush. This will make the skin look really pale and chalky.
5. The stage that bring the skin to life is a mix of Black Green + Blue + Black ink (Vallejo Ink) , about 5 - 2 - 1 ratio, and HEAPS of water, to make it really runny. I just used the "soapy" water from my water pot/Rinse jar.
6. Once this is dry repeat steps 3 and 4, but really really lightly. Just to pick up the major protruding parts/details like the jaw and the belly.

Note 1: I add a 3-4 drops of dishwashing detergent to my water pot, so it helps when I clean my brushes, it also helps with the diluting of my washes, especially the really dark ones, and the ink based ones.

Note 2: I used a mix of the Black Green + Blue inks about 1 - 3 ratio for the armour. This was on top the the normal way I paint armour. So when you are mixing the above mentioned inks keep the black seperate (if you can, I use a wet pallete so it is easy to do, as it is flat-ish), and you can use the same ink colours for orc flesh as well as armour.

I hope this helps.

G.2
:D I  such at painting skin - especially green skin - and the bluish tone one yours is exactly how I like it, and what I tend to fail on doing. So I'll try out your secret recipe. Is that Black Green = VMC980?

Thanks for sharing - and an old dog can still learn new tricks, right?

And for you previous efforts - I actually kind of like that Blanche feel it had. But yes, you have certainly been improving - and will continue doing so - cause 90% of good painting is practise, practise and ... ;) So keep on practise - and dont stop showing us what you've done, please.

G.2:

:D I such at painting skin - especially green skin

clam
Yes skin is a real hard one to master, but some guys on here have painted some awesome skins. I must admitt that I ruin so many faces and hands, it really frustrates me. But we all keep on trying.
... an old dog can still learn new tricks, right?

clam
Even an old dog with 3 Golden Hats.

Veksi:

AHH! So many so nice miniatures which are nicely painted! Very cool schemes you got there :slight_smile: And it’s great if you vary the paint-theme between regiments. If you do so? I’ve not planned will I paint my whole army with same tones!

This was great. Keep on blogging :slight_smile:

clam:

... an old dog can still learn new tricks, right?

clam
Even an old dog with 3 Golden Hats.