[Archive] Gargolock's Experience being a broke kid trying to make an army

Zanko:

Looks very nice at first glance. :hat off

But since I don’t feel like turning the monitor, it would be nice if you could turn the pictures 180 degrees! :wink:

:hashut

Uther the unhinged:

Coming along nicely! The RA models are nice aren�?Tt they. Love the Iron Daemon and Magma cannon. Just a tip for the cannon wheels, an old shield will cover the hub caps well or some green stuff/milliput with spikes (old blades from a bit box or even cut down cocktail sticks). You could make a chaos star out of old plastic (I used a margarine lid) but the wheels look small and that could be fiddly. Depends if you like the curves on the cannon chassis if not cut old plastic to form rectangular plates and glue them on. Tiny blebs of gs can do the job of rivets. I love the army and just offer some tips from an old cheapskate!

Admiral:

Very nice! Though I have to confess I’m not good at standing on my hands.

Go forth boldly, and tell your Language Arts teacher that Jabble is hereby formally and by full official weight of power and overbearing authority a Word, the Word, and an approved Word, by unholy and baleful decree from the Father of Darkness, He who is Hashut on high, and woe betide the heathen who would dare to contradict the fiery Bull God’s divine and hellish will.

[align=center]:hashut[/align]

So spake the Sorcerer-Prophet. Only kidding. Or perhaps not. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You may want to do something with the car wheels, to blunt the modern technology look on that part of the conversion. Best of all would be side-mounted wooden or steel wheels (as on cannon carriages, as opposed to wheels mounted inside and under the chassis as on cars), perhaps from Lego cannons?

Bolg:

A lot can be done if you work on a budge (I know from experience) so i’ll keep an eye out for this tread.
But for now my advise would be crop and turn your photos before uploading, any smartphone can do that for you if you dont have access to Photoshop and the likes.
keep up the good work

Uther the unhinged:

Great beardage! Annoyingly your first attempt looks better than the last one I did yesterday. I�?Tll blame it on old eyes! Thorgrim/ Gorth is coming along brilliantly. I love the hat! I will of course steal the idea shamelessly as I have lots of those bits. You have a great army building up. Well done!

Admiral:

Very nice progress with fuba beards, neat conversions and some interesting miniatures. Good work with the painting as well, and lovely to see the Tjublings already painted. Keep at it! :slight_smile:

Gargolock:

This is the first time in awhile that I am not starting this by saying how long it�?Ts been. This time I might as well not say I will get right into it. Maybe I should say a sort of introduction. Or just abandon this paragraph.

Anyways here�?Ts Ghorth The Cruel. I painted him after sculpting some edits, tried to keep the ability to put the book there but ended up deciding not to attach the book as it made the model look too much like Thorgrim. I painted him up in a red and black colour scheme and tried to make the throne look like a blended version of metallic, red and black. It ended up working as now the throne pops on table top and just looks like a bit of all of it. Up close you can start noticing the brush strokes and the purposefully odd highlights but this model is very eyecatching on the field. Which is what I was going for. I did this mostly by using a brighter red and not going over it with ink. I was used to working with very bright colours that required ink (blood red and tangerine was my last big paint project�?Ts colour scheme). I still used ink on most part except the red.

Fun fact: This chaos dwarf army is my first time painting miniatures with such dark colours. Normally I use bright and eccentric colours but with chaos dwarfs I am using a bunch of black which previously was almost never used by me. It is a bit of an experiment but I would say I am getting much better. Ghorth is my first Chaos dwarf model to grab you by the eye when on tabletop.

Ghorth is my General now as even though Rykarth has a better command ability I kinda retired my castellans. I have retired a jabble of models (mostly the terrible ones which you might notice are also no longer even on my blog as well, they are not eye pleasing). I have retired some pretty nice ones I made as I either got a better one or they just weren�?Tt holding up strategically. My castellans just didn�?Tt make the cut.
The main thing I am getting at is that I have noticed my blog is just showing step by step and getting a picture of my army is near impossible due to me just forgetting to show some of it. I am currently on vacation so I don�?Tt have access to my models but as soon as I get back I will take a picture.

tjub:

Looks good, every general should have a palanquin! Poor guys breaking their backs on such rocky ground. :stuck_out_tongue:

Gargolock:

Looks good, every general should have a palanquin! Poor guys breaking their backs on such rocky ground. :P

tjub
Must say didn�?Tt think about how terrible it would be to carry someone over those rocks.
Now that I have considered it I like it even more, it is great because it makes Ghorth�?Ts life look secure. The loyalty of those acolytes is uncontested if they are willing to do that. It also prevents him from ever having guards that are tired, they will probably fall on the floor and need medical care before they get tired.
They are probably in incredible pain, but anything for Hashut!

Uther the unhinged:

Great mini! The rocky ground works well as it raises Gorths hat even higher!

Admiral:

Solid work on Ghorth. Looking good, keep at it!

Jasko:

This is the first time in awhile that I am not starting this by saying how long it�?Ts been. This time I might as well not say I will get right into it. Maybe I should say a sort of introduction. Or just abandon this paragraph.

Anyways here�?Ts Ghorth The Cruel. I painted him after sculpting some edits, tried to keep the ability to put the book there but ended up deciding not to attach the book as it made the model look too much like Thorgrim. I painted him up in a red and black colour scheme and tried to make the throne look like a blended version of metallic, red and black. It ended up working as now the throne pops on table top and just looks like a bit of all of it. Up close you can start noticing the brush strokes and the purposefully odd highlights but this model is very eyecatching on the field. Which is what I was going for. I did this mostly by using a brighter red and not going over it with ink. I was used to working with very bright colours that required ink (blood red and tangerine was my last big paint project�?Ts colour scheme). I still used ink on most part except the red.
Fun fact: This chaos dwarf army is my first time painting miniatures with such dark colours. Normally I use bright and eccentric colours but with chaos dwarfs I am using a bunch of black which previously was almost never used by me. It is a bit of an experiment but I would say I am getting much better. Ghorth is my first Chaos dwarf model to grab you by the eye when on tabletop.

Ghorth is my General now as even though Rykarth has a better command ability I kinda retired my castellans. I have retired a jabble of models (mostly the terrible ones which you might notice are also no longer even on my blog as well, they are not eye pleasing). I have retired some pretty nice ones I made as I either got a better one or they just weren�?Tt holding up strategically. My castellans just didn�?Tt make the cut.
The main thing I am getting at is that I have noticed my blog is just showing step by step and getting a picture of my army is near impossible due to me just forgetting to show some of it. I am currently on vacation so I don�?Tt have access to my models but as soon as I get back I will take a picture.

Gargolock
Heya! I remember your Gorth plans from the advice thread, I somehow completely missed that you are already finished by now. Very well done! It's a great model and looks sufficiently Chaos-Dwarfy. I especially like your work on the throne itself. Keep at it! And you were mentioning something exciting about some mercenaries ... ? :P

Hashoooot:

The power of the Warp is strong in this one…

Admiral:

Very nice update! The Dark Gods have blessed you, and your jabble. :hat off

Parish:

Keep it up :wink: awesome nostalgia when reading you ! I hope you are enjoying your time building and painting your collection.

You are improving a bit every time you post !

Uther the unhinged:

Great post and good jabbling. Love the bsb back story. Great army building up there. As others have said you are really improving. Hey you are less than a third of my age and already painting better. Remember you learn from your mistakes not your successes. Keep it up!

tjub:

Thats a great little army you got going there! Those “pinhats” warms my heart. :smiley:

Gargolock:

August 4rd, 2018 (4 am I should really be sleeping)

Gargolock
That mistake gets me everytime.

just past one year on from my first post.
I remember that night, I stayed up the entire night digging through bins for toys, then hot gluing, brainstorming, etc etc. Then near the end I took some terrible photos of my work and typed out a forum post.
I have come very far since then, in a multitude of ways
I am a better writer first of all (�?oAugust 4rd�?� comes to mind)
Secondly, a way better painter. Practice makes perfect and I am still not perfect, still got more to do. But I am way better after all the practice I got. So far I am really proud of my Hochland Stuff and I feel like I am getting better with every model. Still got more practice to do however.

One thing that still suffers a bit is my photography, nothing a little goal setting and investment can�?Tt fix.

So far in 1 year of being active on CDO I have enjoyed it. This community is bright and always fun. Really aids the hobby to have a place to share your work, view others work and discuss news and the hobby in general.
I have started my second army, the first few test models turned out better than most of my Chaos Dwarfs have. Makes me want to re-paint some of my Chaos Dwarfs now that I have had more practice.

Its good that every new model I paint I think it is the best I have ever painted, shows growth.

Well to celebrate my 1 year anniversary with the Chaos Dwarfs, I will post a picture....   of those mercenaries I mentioned!

Presenting to You! Some Chaos Warriors!

I was super proud of these guys, it was my first time edge highlighting and my first time where I actually succeeded while layering. I liked these guys a lot. I found them on the floor in the back of my local hobby shop, they were one of those old boxes of models which were meant to test paint schemes on. 3 for 10 bucks, I got them because I always loved the Chaos Warrior models but never enough to buy a unit of them. So I saw my chance to buy a few and took it. I decided to test out 3 of the 4 mark paint schemes to see which one I enjoyed most. I liked Nurgle and Slaanesh most.

I actually planned to get more mercenaries on the field after painting these guys, I had a bunch of Reaper models that I was gonna paint and even had a Warmachine and Hordes model I have had for a while that I was gonna use as a Daemon Prince. The backstory was that Archaon sent some Chaos Lords and a Daemon Prince to inspect the Chaos Dwarfs to see if they were Chaos Undivided material. Never got around to painting them though. Might do it someday.

I am excited for what�?Ts next for me and my armies, I will do the empire army for a while then come back and probably redo and repaint some of my Chaos Dwarfs, make them better and spice them up a bit. Then I will probably expand my Chaos Dwarfs, I still don�?Tt have any Bale Tauruses, Bull Centaurs, Acoytes, Altars, Etc etc, missing a Jabble (not gonna even comment, its a regular word) of cool things that are required.

Well, Thanks for reading. I will be mostly working on Hochland for the coming while. Also on a side note I have been using Tinypic up until now as when I googled "How to upload photos to the internet" it was the first result, but that's shutting down so the photos here might not work anymore other than the new ones I am using Imgur for.

Zanko:

Your Mercenaries look really cool - just for Humans! But now I’m really looking forward to new Chaos Dwarfs, which will hopefully follow now! :wink:

:hashut

Oxymandias:

Lovely work on making the capes look realistically muddy and dirty at the bottom. Details like that really sell a mini.