[Archive] Gargolock's Experience being a broke kid trying to make an army

Cloister:

Nice work, love the tjubling rocket. I still need to pick one up :l

Gargolock:

Hello, I don’t have any new Chaos Dwarfs today (I have been engulfed by 100 statetroops and a golden hat).

Even though I have nothing to showcase, I do have a few things to say.

Firstly and most importantly, I am no longer playing AoS.

I got bored, Even with my gaming group’s house rules. Instead now I am leading the cause to convert my group towards Kings of War. I won’t be able to use my chaos dwarfs until I do a significant amount of re-basing but my Empire will serve in a few trial runs to see if it is an improvement over AoS. I am glad I am switching just in time for 3rd Edition.

Secondly, I am considering getting a Dungeon Crawler. I have weighed my options between Dungeon Saga, Myth, Descent, Massive Darkness, Silver Tower and one I forget the name of but it had something to do with Brimstone. I have decided on Dungeon Saga. I have heard good things about it. Any one played Dungeon Saga? if so is it fun?

Thirdly, all of the photos are gone. I will replace them probably with re-painted and re-based versions later.

Thats all I had to say, Excited to pull all the pieces of my Golden Hat Entry together tonight!

Oxymandias:

We house ruled the living hell out of AOS in my gaming group to get a little narrative campaign going but alas to no avail. The game is a great intro into wargaming but for many an experienced player it�?Ts not what you�?Tre after. Feels more like a collectible card game with miniatures instead of cards than a simulation of warfare.

I don�?Tt hate it as a game. In fact I�?Tm teaching some local kids how to play it as a first foray into wargaming. But for me, Warlord�?Ts of Erehwon has been the real eye opener. It�?Ts exactly what I want out of a fantasy battle game. KOW is a cool game and I played the first edition quite a bit but I�?Tm always hesitant to really get into it  due to the fact that base sizes and unit ranks really matter. My collections are such a mess of varied basing that it would be a real job to make any of them work in that system.

Hello, I don’t have any new Chaos Dwarfs today (I have been engulfed by 100 statetroops and a golden hat).

Even though I have nothing to showcase, I do have a few things to say.

Firstly and most importantly, I am no longer playing AoS.

I got bored, Even with my gaming group’s house rules. Instead now I am leading the cause to convert my group towards Kings of War. I won’t be able to use my chaos dwarfs until I do a significant amount of re-basing but my Empire will serve in a few trial runs to see if it is an improvement over AoS. I am glad I am switching just in time for 3rd Edition.

Secondly, I am considering getting a Dungeon Crawler. I have weighed my options between Dungeon Saga, Myth, Descent, Massive Darkness, Silver Tower and one I forget the name of but it had something to do with Brimstone. I have decided on Dungeon Saga. I have heard good things about it. Any one played Dungeon Saga? if so is it fun?

Thirdly, all of the photos are gone. I will replace them probably with re-painted and re-based versions later.

Thats all I had to say, Excited to pull all the pieces of my Golden Hat Entry together tonight!

Gargolock

Gargolock:

Been a while hasn�?Tt it? Too long, I missed this place.

Well, Im gonna start with a few updates about what I�?Tve been doing.

• I just wrote an essay on consumerism in Canada.

• I am loving Kings of War, and have rebased a few of my Chaos Dwarfs

• I finished my Empire Project and will get around to showcasing it sometime.

• I was planning on fully returning to Chaos Dwarfs about now but then I picked up Dawn of War during the steam sale.

• For years my buddy David has wanted me to play 40k

• I am now playing 40k as the Imperial Guard.

Huh, That�?Ts a bit of a saga. Wasn�?Tt Expecting that.

I might make an off topic showcase for my imperial guard.

Every new thing I paint is better then the last, which is why my Chaos Dwarfs are needing a bit more of a refresher.

Currently the Empire is seeing the least amount of play. The Guard are currently seeing the most, mostly due to amount of opponents.

There�?Ts a lot more people in my area playing 40k.

So that�?Ts a thing.

Anyways, I will show some of the rebased and touched up chaos dwarfs.

I now only have a tiny, tiny jabble in Kings of War. However I still love them.

I will probably keep going with the guard for a while, I won�?Tt expand the Chaos Dwarfs much in the near future. I�?Tm happy with the small and quick games they�?Tve been seeing.

The Guard are serving as a new experience, not only in 40k and Sci fi but also as a competitive list, I am building them for peak performance and around the meta and such. As well as what I like obviously.

Well, That�?Ts an update. I don�?Tt know how busy I�?Tll be for th next while, Maybe I will be able to peruse through CDO more frequently now that the semesters wrapping up.

Gargolock:

Been a while hasn�?Tt it? Too long, I missed this place.

Well, Im gonna start with a few updates about what I�?Tve been doing.

• I just wrote an essay on consumerism in Canada.

• I am loving Kings of War, and have rebased a few of my Chaos Dwarfs

• I finished my Empire Project and will get around to showcasing it sometime.

• I was planning on fully returning to Chaos Dwarfs about now but then I picked up Dawn of War during the steam sale.

• For years my buddy David has wanted me to play 40k

• I am now playing 40k as the Imperial Guard.

Huh, That�?Ts a bit of a saga. Wasn�?Tt Expecting that.

So I might make an off topic showcase for my imperial guard. I am quite proud of heir paintjobs. I think that every new thing I paint is better then the last, which is why my Chaos Dwarfs are needing a bit more of a refresher.

I�?Tve been playing a quite a few games lately. Currently the Empire is seeing the least amount of play. The Guard are currently seeing the most, mostly due to amount of opponents. There�?Ts a lot more people in my area playing 40k.

So that�?Ts a thing.

Anyways, I will show some of the rebased and touched up chaos dwarfs.

I now only have a tiny, tiny jabble in Kings of War. However I still love them.

I will probably keep going with the guard for a while, I won�?Tt expand the Chaos Dwarfs much in the near future. I�?Tm happy with the small and quick games they�?Tve been seeing.

The Guard are serving as a new experience, not only in 40k and Sci fi but also as a competitive list, I am building them for peak performance and around the meta and such. As well as what I like obviously.

Well, That�?Ts an update. I don�?Tt know how busy I�?Tll be for the next while, Maybe I will be able to peruse through CDO more frequently now that the semesters wrapping up.

Gargolock:

It�?Ts been a while.
Christmas is past, Hope you all had a merry one. New Years has past, Hope you had a happy one. Valentine�?Ts Day has past, hope you all had a lovely one. We approaching Easter, hope you will all have a happy one. (I have had to keep editing this part as for some reason I just haven�?Tt posted it since when I initially wrote it on December 27. I have just kept adding stuff to it.)

I apologize for the upside down photos in the last post. Don�?Tt know what happened there. I swear they were right side up for me when I uploaded them.  But anyways its the present and I have a bit to show today. I got a great jabble (I will keep using this until it is added to the dictionary) of lovely miniature as gifts for Christmas that I have been working on. I will get right to the point. I did my first bit of practice sculpting work.
For you see my army was missing two things in its heroes and artillery crews. Those are big hats and proper beards (also fangs but let�?Ts forget about that.) I so far have only done the beards on them but I swear that they will all be marvellously big hatted by the end.

So time to show what I have done.

If you are wondering how I did the beards I used a tutorial made by Bob�?Ts Random Paint-O-Matical. He is the same man who inspired my dreadquake.

Starting out I will tell you that every model I have showed so far except the old ral partha ones (still working on them) have been given mighty chaos dwarven beards.
Here�?Ts some of the highlights.

I also got some pyrophants. They are Nolzur�?Ts DND unpainted models with some minor changes. They are the guys on the right and left in that photo.

Next is a mighty lord. A scary bugger as he is a beast on tabletop. The mighty Zhatan The Black. I am mostly happy with him. I used the base of that old sky lander I mutilated to make my hellcannon as his base. I used a Chaos warriors champion cape and sculpted more fur to create The Black Mantle. He was created from a DND unpainted dwarf paladin with heavy editing.

Here is my new Tjublings I got from the Artisans Contest as random draw. A very fun paint. I have always liked 15mm miniatures. For now he is sitting on my shelf as a memory of the artisans contest XXVI, I had fun drawing my entry. However I have the feeling these men and their backyard rocket will be a part of an army in the future.

You might have seen my rules for some chaos dwarf lords warscrolls I made. I intend to play test all of them. However play testing can�?Tt happen till I have a model for them. I started with Rykarth, to put it simply I just grabbed a random warrior and put him on a large rock plateau. I gave him a dwarf warriors mask and a marauder cape.

Remember my bull centaurs? Nor did I but they are done and have been done for a while. I just added beards. I don�?Tt know why there beards look like that in the photo, I think something went wrong.

I got an old ral partha mortar as an earthshaker. Thommy H made both dreadquake and earthshaker rules so I got it cause it was cheap and a nice model.

I also got the scotia Grendel goliath as a dreadquake, it can also be used as an iron daemon as it has a steam engine as well as front mounted cannons. It is still being painted so no photos yet. You might have seen me asking for advice on making Thorgrim into Ghorth The Cruel. It is going alright, I realized I was out of any sort of sculpting putty, I don�?Tt know how I was unlucky enough to run out of green stuff and milliput at the same time. The worst part is my local hobby shop had none left as well. I ordered it from the cheapest location I could find but it meant it would come over on a slow boat.
So he is sitting and waiting for now. Here a WIP picture of him.

I have some more to show. My painting speed and skill is better now as I finally got rid of my limited, thick, hard to work with Testors enamels and replaced them with army painter paints and got a brand new brush from the mega set. Previously I have been using a P3 work hobby brush I have had since January last year. It has served me marvelously but it has outlasted it�?Ts life span. I now have a regiment brush that I will incorrectly use for just as long knowing myself. I also have some exciting news for my army coming up involving mercenaries. If I ever get them all painted.

Gargolock:

�?oHello, I did my Golden Hat entry and am now back from vacation. Time to do some pictures.�?T That is what I wrote a month ago when I intended to post this. Well at least I have a lot to show this time.�?� Is what I wrote about a month ago when I intended to post this. Just been sitting in my drafts slowly getting bigger for 2 month. I have taken a bit of a hiatus from painting and you may have noticed I haven�?Tt been as active here. Most of it can be put to the fact that it�?Ts June, I have finals and overall just can�?Tt really focus on anything as schools almost over.

I will start with my golden hat entry from March, I got a shoveling job over winter and planned to buy a large order from Russian alternative by the end of winter. Then the golden hat was announced and instead I decided to pick up some cheap dwarf warriors from my hobby shop, they were in the used miniature section but were still on the sprue. So I just didn�?Tt get a box and they were much cheaper. I had a lot of fun converting them.

Next I will do my BsB, he is one of my first cases of self written background for characters written for my chaos dwarf army. I am more proud of the lore than the paint job. Deifnetly not my best work. His name is Khoth Toothface.

Khoth was born near the Gates of Zharr, he was raised as a Darkwarden, he spent his early life protecting the roads in the darklands. He killed orc warbosses then donated their soldiers to The Tower of Gorgoth. He became a leader in the Darkwardens and eventually left the secluded order to venture to Zharr Naggrund to seek power and an army to lead.
In Zharr Naggrund he enlisted in the immortals and eventually he protected the Sorcerer lord Khardang Spiketail from a Savage Orc Boar Boy and became a Baneguard. As a baneguard he served in Zhatan The Blacks army and had his ambition of being a general scared out of him after he tried to charge a Chaos Lord, Khoth was struck and had his entire right arm crushed. Zhatan was grateful for a challenge. Khoth remembers the blurry site of the brawl, he remembers the wicked, bellowing cackling from Zhatan as he annihilated the chaos lord.
After the battle Zhatan congratulated him for his bravery but threw in a backhanded comment about his weakness. After this battle Khoth gave up his ambitions of being an overlord, instead he only wanted to show himself to Zhatan as a worthy soldier then to eventually be granted power and honour through impressing him. Eventually after intense training he became a Castellan. He served for many years as a castellan in Zhatan�?Ts legion until one day in a battle against ogre raiders, Khoth saw an opportunity. He bellowed a mighty shout and charged a thundertusk. He climbed the mighty tusks until he reached the tyrant atop the beast. Khoth slit his oily, thick throat with his axe than continued to turn the thundertusk around to face the ogre lines. He then slid down the beast whilst cutting its leg to blunt his fall and anger the beast. The thundertusk charged the ogre lines destroying most of them. Zhatan cackled as the battle was won.
When the army returned to give the slaves to Ghorth, Khoth was given the Banner Of Zharr Naggrund by the commander of the Tower of Zharr himself, Zhatan The Black. He now bears the banner of the mighty tower on the battlefield. Constantly upholding the might of Mingol Zharr Naggrund.

Next here is my entire army.

Some new additions you might see I haven�?Tt showed are the 6 ral partha mono-pose trolls, The new iron daemon to replace the old one (it was too small), the death rocket in the back, the scotia Grendel Goliath, the new skullcracker, The Chaos Giant, sneaky gits, The K’daai and the dragon. I don�?Tt have time to show them right now as I should study for my final. But they will eventually get proper close ups. Other than the trolls. All 6 of them were painted in like 5 minutes. My friend was deploying on the table when they were painted. A few of my models are pretty poorly painted but I am still learning how to paint chaos dwarfs. Don�?Tt mean to sound ignorant but most of my models look way better in person than on camera. However some are terrible both ways. I should see if I can find a better light source or even see if I can borrow my brothers camera.

My chaos giant is a DnD unpainted Hill Giant. I would have to say that with my experience with DnD unpainted miniatures I am starting to really enjoy them, not only are they cheap and pre-primed but they are nicely sculpted and made out of a nice hard plastic.

My K�?Tdaai is a reaper “Minotaur Demon Lord”. This unlike the giant didn’t make me appreciate the company, it just reminded me of how difficult Reaper Bones can be. It also reminded me of how quality some of the reaper sculpts are.

They are releasing a new material called “Bones Black” which is supposedly way better. I haven’t tried it but it sounds good. They have an Orc shaman that looks more like a hobgoblin to me, might get him and attach a spearhead to his staff

That was my jabble (if I use it enough I believe it will catch on with the majority of people) of models. As for Mercenaries, They are still being worked on. I paint them when I have nothing else to paint and currently they keep getting pushed back behind other things. But even with how exciting my surprise mercenaries are, I have a project so grand that even my chaos dwarfs got shoved back in the painting queue cause of it. More on that project when I paint the models, probably on Wednesday as I don�?Tt have much time to paint till then.