[Archive] GH #13 - Voting Thread

Abecedar:

GMT is Greenwich Mean Time: i.e. the time currently in the UK and Ireland.

EST is Eastern Standard Time: i.e. the time currently on the East Coast of North America.

EST is five hours behind GMT. Most of the members of this site live in the EST time-zone, so we tend to use that for times and dates. It really is not that complicated.

Thommy H
Down here we have EST too. I once lived a bit outback (northwest of new south wales) and we only had 3 TV channels and if it was daylight savings in NSW we had 3 channels from 3 different time zones

clam:

EST is Eastern Standard Time: i.e. the time currently on the East Coast of North America.

EST is five hours behind GMT. Most of the members of this site live in the EST time-zone, so we tend to use that for times and dates. It really is not that complicated.

Thommy H
Seems like it shouldn't be ;)  I live in a province that doesn't follow daylight savings time however, so when I look up people's time zones I also have to think about what time of year it is and then google where they are to see if they're on daylight savings too... poor Hashut's Blessing can tell you stories of my lateness for podcasts ;)

~N

Nicodemus
Well, try this then - http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc - or maybe just this http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ :P

Not so sure about most members, though - but lets face it it's Xander's place - so quite obvious that his time zone is used for standard.

Oh, and if it's a tie - may I suggest that we just award both entries with the gold - instead of that stupid 'second round'?

Nicodemus:

Oh, and if it's a tie - may I suggest that we just award both entries with the gold

clam
I think this is not a bad idea at all. Keeps the results timely and does indeed reward those entries which the first round of voting (which for anything like this always has the best turn out/participation) who garnered a spot at the podium. Let's face it, in the extreme case, if there were ties for both Gold and Bronze, re-voting for the finalists could bump the original bronze entries off the podium.... it's not the olympics so it doesn't need to be too harsh.

That being said, it's not my BBQ and ultimately what ever the CDO staff decide they want to do is fine... just my (and Clam's) 2-cents I guess.

~N

nitroglysarine:

damn it EST is like 6 hours behind GMT right?
dang not going to know results for a while yet!

nitroglysarine
EDT/EST is 5 hours behind (-05 GMT).

GRNDL
Ah yeah, its 6 when we have daylight savings right? or does the US do day light savings to?

clam:

.... it's not the olympics so it doesn't need to be too harsh.

Nicodemus
Actually, I think if it were the would award both with a gold and bronze medal. If there was a prize involved it's a different story. But yes, not something i feel strong about - just don't want to see this run for another week. We have better things to do - than finding a exact winner.

nitroglysarine:

yeah two golds is fair i’d say.

Willmark:

Thommy H
Seems like it shouldn't be ;)  I live in a province that doesn't follow daylight savings time however, so when I look up people's time zones I also have to think about what time of year it is and then google where they are to see if they're on daylight savings too... poor Hashut's Blessing can tell you stories of my lateness for podcasts ;)

As noted Xander lives in the EST, so we use this for contests as a basis.

~N

Nicodemus