[Archive] Golden Hat #5 - Painting Competition!

Pyro Stick:

I may enter this one. I dont need to convert anything and i was needing to paint my second standard bearer anyway. I just need to strip it and then ill get started. I would enter my Bull Centaur standard bearer but it would need much more work done to it as it is in rough shape.

Kera foehunter:

So can we start on the contest now guys??

ashur:

- To enter, you need to take up to 4 photos of your entry and upload them to the internet.  Next, send a PM to Golden Hat (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the links where the pictures can be found. (Note: This is different from the last competitions!)

Grimstonefire
Is it possible to upload the pictures directly to the site and tell you in wich thread ?

Xander:

You can start your contest entry right now, yes. But, my experience tells me to keep your entry hidden until the polls close. Revealing entries early reduces the Wow factor of your entry. :wink:

Same goes for you Ashur, you can do it that way, but you’d be revealing your entry early which won’t help you in the polls!

Theory_Man:

I second Xander’s advice. Don’t post your pictures before hand on this website. You can lose votes, and people like to point out the fact that they saw the entry before hand.

Examples:

Entry 3: I like the idea, but have seen them many times before

Hashut’s Blessing
Well, the robots are pretty awesome, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen them before,

Khan!
whoever convert number 3, we’ve seen them quite alot and wasnt unique for this comp so doesnt count in my opinion,

gIL^
No3 I’d seen before

al-hashut
My guess is wow factor is critical factor in theses competitions, but, if you are like me and are doing theses for the fun of it, then post on the site. Just don’t expect to win.

BLOOD AXE:

Thanks BA for the prize!

Grimstonefire
You are very welcome. A bunch of great members here. Hopefully there will be a record turn-out for this Golden Hat!:cheers

Knight Of Awsome:

I could have bought that red foundations paint… ok well lets see what i can make!

GRNDL:

Does the entry have to be able rank up with a unit, or can the model kinda go out in all directions as a display piece might?

That is, does it have to actually function as a standard bearer in a tabletop game?

Xander:

Does the entry have to be able rank up with a unit, or can the model kinda go out in all directions as a display piece might?

That is, does it have to actually function as a standard bearer in a tabletop game?

GRNDL
I'll leave that to Grim...

But why not throw him on a 20mm base and incorporate that into a display piece? :)

GRNDL:

He’ll be on a standard issue base. Thats not the thing I’m worried about. I’m meaning more about the pose - arms out to the sides, to the back, etc. The stuff one usually tries to avoid in a rank & file unit because it would have to be put beside other models in close formation.

Xander:

He doesn’t have to rank up, he could be your BSB. :stuck_out_tongue:

wallacer:

I have a dumb question:

Can we enter something we already have painted or does it have to be something that has been painted from scratch after the announcement of the competition?

Xander:

As I have said in the past, the contests are to inspire creative ideas. They are meant to motivate, not simply to compare your skills with others. So while there is almost no way to stop entries that have been already made, it’s kind of defeating the purpose.

WarplockMonkey:

Well boys (and kera)…looks like i might enter this one!

Makes a change from sculpting scales…:stuck_out_tongue:

furrie:

it is a good reason for me to begin my CD army a little bit earlier then planned, so I might join.

edit

what view do you need for the pictures?

Hashut’s Blessing:

I’ve decided what model I shall enter. Yay. Already finished it. Now to take pics along with the rest of my now over 1k points army!

Pyro Stick:

Woooo ive almost finished mine as well. I only need to think of an idea for the actual banner part…

Xander:

I am excited about all the early work! Sounds like this will be a good one!

Pyro Stick:

I am excited about all the early work! Sounds like this will be a good one!

Xander
Ill try get mine done today and send you pics to see if its ok.

Grimstonefire:

@GRNDL

The pose can be anything you want.  If you want it to be useful afterwards you might want to design it so it can rank up :wink:

@furrie

No more than 4 photos. So any combination you think shows off the model the best.

I suggest people take loads of photos, then select the best ones once they’re on the computer. Its better that way than leaving it to the last minute and taking whatever photos you had time (light) for, as I’ve done in the past.