[Archive] Golden Hat #7 - Painting Competition

Sojourn:

ah Vex, I can’t be as awe-inspiring as that, but here’s what I know…

aside from me, I’d say many people have other armies that they can steal the duel-ee from. Make a CD that WILL fit in your CD army clobbering the poop out of it, and bam, it’s done. sure it’s simple, but make a stellar CD figure that you can be proud to include in you CD army!

there is no limit but your creativity, but in an effort to TRY to make the diorama’s somewhat comparable (and picture-takeable) the 15-cubed dimensions (which were relaxed for flying models, correct?) seem reasonable. I mean, someone could make a duelling diorama with their 2,500pt or 6,000pt or what-have-you army. how will that compete against my measly 2-character duel? it’s hard to say, but I don’t want to find out! lol if only Kera and I enter, I might have a chance :wink:

But Kera, you know how to get me interested, so for you, I will try to enter ;). And seeing as I’m not committed to any army in particular, making a CD or not making a CD doesn’t matter. If people don’t want to participate, that’s fine. it is. I guess I see some reasons as more of a “I need to give a reason” rather than “I have a true reason”. shrugs

hopefully, next time everyone will be happier with the choice, but THT is right, you can’t please everyone. So remember if you’re annoyed with this topic, maybe the one you’re suggesting is upsetting just as many people. Like, why is there no “prettiest female model” GH? hrm? yah, I don’t know either. :stuck_out_tongue:

Willmark:

Vexus-

- None of the Staff is dictating anything, period. Either you enter or you don’t; its that simple, there are no hidden agendas here regarding this.
- I’d like both quality and quantity in ANY Golden Hat competition, regardless of topic, regardless of ultimate use.
- Where did we say that Golden Hat is always about “X”?
- As far as requirements this was consensus amongst the Staff.
- Artisans-like? Definitely your perspective and you are entitled to it.
- PG-13 is stifling? I have no problems with R rated let me assure you; however there are a few younger members on the site, merely something to consider.
- No one is getting bent of shape (at least it doesn’t look like it from the Staff perspective) about anyone having different opinions. YMMV.

As far as the rules being confusing: We tried to make this as open as possible.  We are simply telling everyone to keep it in certain dimensions and include some chaos dwarfs. Other then that its up to the modeler in question how they want to create something, this is the most open contest we have ever done, we figured turning you guys loose to create anything you wanted would be a good thing… apparently not.

In short feel free to criticize anything you want to, no one is going to tell you any different, but in all honestly on many points you’re not even close to what the Staff has discussed. We not trying to stifle anyone, but rather encourage everyone to think about this in a different way. Our follow-up comments were simply to clarify, not confuse or even contradict.

In closing what is sad to think that we put forth this contest with the idea of letting people create a scene of anything they wanted to highlighting Chaos Dwarfs,  and instead we are discussing the merits of giving people too much free reign.

Vexxus:

Vexus-
  We are simply telling everyone to keep it in certain dimensions and include some chaos dwarfs.

Willmark
Wilmark-

Certain dimensions makes this contest too much about the base/diorama and not enough about the CDs. This isn't only my opinion. If I wanted to make a battle of 2-6 minis on a 4 foot by 4 foot board, would that really give me an edge? The simple answer is no, because I would still only get 4 photos, and the focus would be on the models fighting not the base. What it WOULD do, is give more freedom to the artist to create something amazing for the contest, that they can also actually want to use afterward. To put a size restriction is pointless, and yes, stifling.

Kera foehunter:

join in or don’t !!! if you don’t like this contest

don’t join in!!! there are all types of site out there join in on one of there

Contest i do !!

now i now why we don’t do a monthy contest!!!

like other sites!

Btw the staff has alway did a good job having these before

thats RULES!!! that all i have to say about that!!!

Vexxus:

join in or don't !!!! if you don't like this contest
don't join in!!!!!! there are all types of site out there join in on one of there
Contest i do !!
now i now why we don't do a monthy contest!!!!
like other sites!
Btw the staff has alway did a good job having these before
thats RULES!!!!! that all i have to say about that!!!!

Kera foehunter
Don't worry Kera, I am not upset here, nor am I complaining. Wilmark was dumbfounded as to why there was resistance, so I was attempting to summarize some common reasons why, as well as add my two cents, so that he might better grasp a standpoint that is not his own. I have already said I was passing on this one, like other people, so at this point its just a matter of self expression -- I am not looking to be a downer!

Long live CDO!

Willmark:

Actually I said “mystified” not “dumbfounded” as in puzzled. In a round about way I’m simply trying to get people see it a different light…

As far as getting that people have a different viewpoint on this… I get it.

You do have one part correct thou:

Long live CDO!

Vexxus
:slight_smile:

Kera foehunter:

i’m omost done !!! all i have to do is paint!!!

Vanvlak:

Ok, I have to enter 6mm scale models in the Epicomp I’m organizing, I have a steam aeroplane modelling ‘duel’ on Lead Adventures, I have a cat batting old plastic ogres off the UPS - ERIKA! leave those alone! - (er, sorry) - what the heck, I’ll try to join in this one too. Pity said cat wouldn’t fit in the allowed size (as if she’d stay put for the photo). Ah well, I can safely say my entry will not be ‘Cat batting Bighats’. :slight_smile:

WarplockMonkey:

Well folks, my entry isssss FINISHED!

Just got a few more tweaks to do…and ill be sending up pictures to the MODs!

I must say, i think this idea has been the best GH so far. I dont collect ANY army, i just sculpt as i please, so this competition has really motivated me!

- Warplock

furrie:

I realy need to get this project in a higher gear :stuck_out_tongue:

Willmark:

I’ve got my started, slowly but surely it is coming together.

Kera foehunter:

i have to do some high lights and i will be done!!!

Sojourn:

I’m eager to see these entries! I can’t wait :slight_smile:

oh, and I should probably work on my entry too…

Hashut’s Blessing:

Not had time to work on this so far due to university and moving in etc. However, I’m quite sure I know what I’m going to do :wink:

Willmark:

I’m hoping to have the base done this week. Then next I should have the figures done, leaving the following week for painting… Hmmmm

furrie:

I hope I can finish the base and the figures this week, so I have some more time for painting

Auretious Taak:

I want to do one, I have the BEST IDEA EVER, but the question is: do I have to do a Chaos Dwarf or can I use a Black Orc as my main Subject?

Also, if the base is a pain, just have the scenic base then have shots of the models without the scenic base. Easily done.

Auretious Taak.

Xander:

The way I look at it is this. This is a Chaos Dwarf forum, people are looking to see Chaos Dwarfs, and will likely vote on models that look Chaos Dwarfy. So if this Black Orc clearly belongs to a Chaos Dwarf army, it will look good to most people. :slight_smile:

furrie:

I’m almost ready, I just need to do some painting and I’m ready.

Xander:

I need to get painting too, my conversions are mostly done. :slight_smile: