[Archive] Grey Knights up for preorder

zobo1942:

cornixt:

They are just taller dreadnaughts with the guy on the outside instead of the inside. I like it a bit, but it is horribly boring and unoriginal in the execution. It’s not the industrial look of the similar things in Aliens or Matrix, but it isn’t as sleek and pure as say Gundam or Evangelion. It’s just an old techmarine without a head, and a doll stuck to his chest, it’s just dull.

I think the earliest mech suits were in the Starship Troopers book from the 50s, but anime pretty much popularised it after that.

Loki:

Its very interesting to get every ones point of view on the Dreadknight , from the people that i have spoken to and from you guys here it seems that 90% of people don�?Tt like and keep drawing references to other mechs that gw seemed to have copied ( iron man , matrix 3 , aliens, avatar , starship troopers 3 and even transformers)   , and the remaining 10% really like it.

I find my self torn , i like big new models and when i first saw it i was impressed but i now finding my self picking holes in it , i just thing that for a universe that has a very strong gothic feel to it, it seems to have been dropped in from a totally different one.

The armour and the design is to smooth and well made , if it looked more like the penitent engine i think it would fit better with the feel of the 40k universe and have more people liking it. I guess at the end of the day it comes down to personal taste but that�?Ts my 2 cents on the subject :slight_smile:

Thommy H:

Well, this would hardly be the first time GW has taken some influences from Aliens and Starship Troopers, would it? Disliking it for being derivative is pretty inane given that the 40K universe is an unashamed mish-mash of crazy sci-fi concepts.

Re: it being gothic enough. I think Grey Knights are supposed to be one of the few examples of something genuinelly shiny in 40K. They’re supposed to be gleaming paragons, and this fits that image.

Baggronor:

I don’t think the Dreadknight is ripped off particularly, certainly not off Japanese animation anyway. Walkers are a very common concept. Reminded me of the hydraulic lifter suit thing from Aliens more than Iron Man or Cybermen. Just looks, well, a bit daft to me. Like its from 70s sci-fi or some such.

Like the plastics though.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

I think a lot of the dislike is caused by the unprecendet chrome paintjob, if it were a bit more gritty that would make a big difference. Slap on a few pennants, some more purity seals and parchments, some chains or stuff and this will really look good.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I think the biggest problem is the fact that the guy isn’t protected by the suit in any way… It’s the most commonly mentioned downside from what I’ve noticed (here and other places). If he was in a sort of suspended, cabled up suit within a metallic cockpit doing the same thing, it may fit better. Think along the lines of virtual reality gaming inside a tank inside the walker.

Thommy H:

He’s already wearing Terminator Armour, which is the best personal armour in the Galaxy. I’m pretty sure the idea isn’t for him to be riding inside a machine, but to be controlling a big harness that makes him stronger and taller. It’s just him, but with longer arms and bigger guns so he can cut Greater Daemon’s heads off. He has the same save he’d be getting in Terminator Armour anyway.

Bassman:

Not playing 40k I do not want to say anything about rules and actual gaming. As far as I know about 40k is that terminator armour is what I’d like to wear if I was on a 40k battle field :wink:

So maybe it’s ok gameswise…

modellingwise I do not think it’s a rip off. Walkers is a pretty common feature in any science fiction movie/comic/game/whatever :slight_smile:

Said this it’s more a matter of taste… nothing more. I think it’s really bad. I love 40k setting (even if I do not play) and I love big clumsy warsuits, smoking tanks and square/impossible to fly riveted planes :smiley:

This one just sounds… out of place… imo.

I do not like the design, neither the idea…

watching the poor guy in the middle I can’t avoid to think about the engineer that planned this machine of war… why did he not planned a carapace to protect the driver? What’s the point to wear a terminator armour when you can be wired into a walker that is easily capable to support a much thicker protection?

Well, re-reading muy words I realized I really need to go back to real life… I think too much about wargames… ehehhehehhe :smiley:

Perturabo:

He's already wearing Terminator Armour, which is the best personal armour in the Galaxy. I'm pretty sure the idea isn't for him to be riding inside a machine, but to be controlling a big harness that makes him stronger and taller.

Thommy H
True, I don't think the pilot needs extra protection if he's already wearing Terminator Armour. In fact I'm fairly sure I remember a short piece of text where a Terminator (Wolfguard, possibly?) survives being stepped on by a Titan. Besides, the lack of an enclosed cockpit probably allows for greater freedom of action, looking at the control method. Or something.

snowblizz:

Hopefully the pilot won’t forget the helmet like in some of the pics. That’d suck a bit. Get a Grot to shoot him in the head with sling…

There’s just something with that thing… every pic I look at I’m expecting to see a 10 year old grip the model over the middle shake it vigorously and yell “bang-bang!, I killed your soldiers dead”. It looks more like action figure than Warhammer model.

Zuh-Khinie:

Personally, I feel the dreadknight concept would be much better fit for a tau army.

Why would you need a giant fighter to fight gigantic deamons/aliens, if you can just stab him in the toe and suck his soul (nemesis force weapons)?

It would have been much cooler if they’d given the grey knights the old knight titans…

Though I’m not really sure about the model’s look, I must say that it’s a beautifull kit. Very high level of detail…

The same can be said about the PA en TA knights. Every word on their armour is readable, unlike those on their metal counterparts. There’s a ton of goodies on those sprues, and you won’t go wanting for opportunities to customize your models (unlike the plastic skaven sprues for example.)

nitroglysarine:

It is a bit like an epic broadside suit, just a SM take on it.

The more I see it, the more I see it in an army. However i’ll never buy one for it purpose.

Fallen246:

I’m gonna agree by stating that I feel he should be partly within the walker’s shell, not just dependant on his armour for the front.

Furthermore, while it is realistic, the clips coming out from the sides of their storm bolters look kind of out of place to me, I preferred the look of the previous editions for that.

Thommy H:

I’m pretty sure I’ll get the Terminator kit anyway, just to kitbash it with some regular Terminators and make a Deathwing Honour Guard with the Standard and Apothecary parts.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Thommy H: I agree that Terminator Armour is awesome and all, but it’s more awesome to be in Terminator Armour inside a tank carapce surely? That’s my reasoning - why put extra armour over the rest of the suit (when none of the important components are outside of the internal armour anyway), but not the pilot?

Bassman summed it up best in terms of what I meant.

snowblizz: Split second before I read your post I realised that that’s exactly what I thought, although it’s also slightly more grown up than the image conjured, lol. I think it’s a high quality sculpt, poor quality execution of concept.

nitroglysarine:

One thing we’ve not seen yet is another angle of the suit. It, for example, might look awesome from the back :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thommy H:

Thommy H: I agree that Terminator Armour is awesome and all, but it's more awesome to be in Terminator Armour inside a tank carapce surely?
I don't know - historically Space Marine vehicles haven't counted as Open Topped because the crew wear power armour. Also, 40K technology being what it is, some things are just built the way they are "because". Maybe the Dreadknight began life as something other than a combat vehicle in the Dark Age of Technology?

I actually have no strong opinions about it, to be honest. I think it's kind of cool in a silly way, but I think what's even sillier is people complaining about how a giant mech suit designed to kill monsters with a sword is unrealistic because the pilot is exposed!

cornixt:

Presumably he can just disengage from the suit when it gets damaged (something that big is likely to get hit by a few shots, even from a blind Ork) and start running around. I wouldn’t want to spend half of the battle trapped inside because the door got stuck due to a lucky hit.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

One thing we've not seen yet is another angle of the suit. It, for example, might look awesome from the back ;P

nitroglysarine
Actually there's a freely rotatable image on the GW homepage ^^