[Archive] Grimstonefire Skaven Blog (pic heavy)

furrie:

I like the idea of the dwarf sitting on the wall.

Golder Goldeater:

Should he be leaning against the wall in a chair asleep (dungeon keeper 2 style) or should he be running away in panic?

Grimstonefire
:mad Dwarves (Chaos or not) never run away in panic! :mad
I believe he should be leaning against the wall, trying to support it!

Grimstonefire:

A small update here.

Currently being painted is my HPA.

I attacked it with a soldering iron for some surface texture.  I also cut a section out of the stomach where the vertical armour bit goes and filled it with some of the rats.

I gave him another arm where the top spike thing goes and gave him a head from a high elf dragon slimmed down.

Lastly I filled in a lot of the area around the wheel, as it looked stupid being so thin. The painting is looking very Blanche like.

Loki:

Totaly amazing work on every thing, cant belive this is first time lookign throught it , i am really liking the doom wheel will make a great center bit for the army i am with Golder Goldeater the dwarf should be trying to hold the wall up, cant wait to see the next update :smiley:

Vexxus:

Really good job breaking up the boring sections on the Abomination, I actually hate the GW model, but you have made it look mean and nasty enough to the point I would actually field it! Excellent work as usual.

I can’t hardly wait until your doomwheel conversion is complete, that is the best idea ever. I ddnt even want a doomwheel until I saw that one breaking through a brick wall, now you have me thinking! You may have already posed the Dwarf by now but if not, you could have him falling off the wall, grabbing onto a falling brick! Just a thought.

Cheers

Vex

Grimstonefire:

Over on underempire (I think) someone said I should do a dwarf with his head against the wall listening.  That seems like a good idea to me as it tells more of a story than him running away or sleeping.

He’ll probably look more like he’s just holding the wall up, but I’ll give it a go.

Forgot to add that the pic you see of on the box of the HPA, standing on the dwarf rocks, I’ve made a suitable rock and will shortly be casting it several times in resin.  All I’ll need then will be the Avatars of war plastic slayers to complete my vision.

If anyone does use a soldering iron on plastic btw make sure to do it outside. The fumes are almost certainly toxic.

Grimstonefire:

Not so much an update in the way of decent close up shots of finished things…  But I want to show the size my horde has grown to so far.

The models in the pics are everything that I have that’s painted and/ or stuck on a base.

CHARACTERS

Ikit Claw.  Unpainted (which was going to be entered in golden daemon last year incidently).

Plague Priest.  Painted

Plague Priest.  Unpainted

Chieftan.  Unpainted

Warplock Engineer.  Unpainted

2 x Assassins.  Unpainted

CORE

46 Clanrats with spears and shields.  41 painted, many needing shields.

15 Clanrats with HW & shield.  4 painted.

33 Giant rats.  16 painted  Some from another company I’d need to look up, the latest addition to my horde.  Note the movment tray covered in rats.

35 Slaves.  34 painted.

14 Stormvermin.  5 painted.

Doomflayer.  Painted

Poisoned Wind Mortar.  Painted.

Warpfire Thrower.  Unpainted

SPECIAL

30 Plague Monks.  20 painted.

2 Rat Ogres.  1 painted.

RARE

Warp Lightning Cannon.  Unpainted

Hellpit Abomination.  Unpainted

Doomwheel.  Unpainted.  I think I might just use an old drunk dwarf I’ve got (the one sleeping on his crossbow) infront.

Plagueclaw Catapult.  Painted

The list of unassembled stuff… :~

Games Day Warlord

Apprx 30 Clanrats (I 've lost track and they seem to be sneaking away to other boxes).  I plan to more or less make the 2 clanrat units the same size.

Apprx 25 Slaves.

Apprx 30 Stormvermin (10 of which will be plague monks with halberds and SV heads).

10 Plaguemonks

3 Rat Swarms

5 Rat Ogres (maybe 6 if I make some monster from the spare legs arms and heads)

3 or 4 packmasters

Screaming Bell

vulcanologist:

Fantastic Blog Grim, don’t know how I’ve managed to miss this one! Just spent a nice time reading through from the beginning and there is some tremendous stuff in here, very cool and very inspirational! Particular favourites of mine are the Giant Rats, they look so much better and more “realistic” grouped together, and also your superb slaves unit. I’m full of admiration for anyone who can determinedly keep a horde army going to such consistent high standards (or even keep it going at all!) You may have seen my own start on a skaven army in my Blog http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10173 so it’s great seeing your army and great being inspired to push mine on!

Grimstonefire:

Cheers. Looking at your blog reminds me at some point I need to tackle trying to make the old plastic rat ogres look vaguely similar to the IoB ones…

I do have a vague sort of theme for each part of the army, but as it stands I’m not really focused on that at the moment.

In theory the pestilens parts should be attacking a beer hall. The moulder elements should be the ones in the mines. Eshin not particularly place themed, but fighting hammerers and runesmiths. Skryre in the forge.

All of this based on a series of short stories I wrote.

I decided though that this would make the army look really disjointed. Plus either I haven’t started or I haven’t got many of the clan specific troops.

The giant rats I’m particularly fond of because they look like a real swarm of rats. Only problem was that I didn’t have enough GW ones to make a decent sized unit so I had to look around. I’ve painted up 28 now with another 5 ready and another 3 I can assemble. Leaving me to decide how many packmasters I need. I’m tempted to do 6 (the whole back rank).

theforgefather:

does every skve arm have some sort of model railway track in it? great blog grim, especially the rat ogres. keep up the good work!

Castellan:

Very nice army here. I certainly like how you’ve painted the skin, and grey fur. The icons are superb as well. I cannot wait until next update!

-Castellan

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Wow what a horde. :slight_smile:

Do you paint several different units at the same time? Seeing as the warp lightning cannon and the hellpit abomination are partly painted…

Grimstonefire:

It’s a case of shiny model syndrome I’m afraid. ;)  The HPA I started painting last january I believe, I stopped because I haven’t gotten round to making the mould for the dwarf stone block.  The warp lightning cannon I started last week.

I usually have at least 10 projects on the go at once, and that’s just painting let alone sculpting…

I finished assembling the packmasters today, all 6.  I need to do a tiny bit of greenstuffing on the one who has a tail for legs.  By next weekend the giant rat unit and base will be done.  I’ve also tracked down all the clanrats and split them between the units.  Looks like I’ll need to make 3 more of my ‘hobgoblin’ slaves.

I wanted a visual horde, so after all these clanrats are done I doubt I’ll be buying any more!

Grimstonefire:

My first finished regiment (or two).

ryanamandaanna:

That is a huge number of rats!

Kera foehunter:

Its Great to see that Your back to working on project Grims

Throw this one is a little too creped out for my likes

2 big swarms of rats

Grimstonefire:

The latest additions to my horde.  I must admit that I really enjoyed painting these, especially the chieftan/ warlord guy.

It was a challenge to try and make them clearly part of my army theme (fighting dwarfs) without being OTT.  I thought the base on the warplock engineer was good.

Dwarf “you can take this pistol out of my cold dead hand”

Skaven “Ok then.”  Lops hand off!

The Ironbreakers unit filler for the clanrats was because I really don’t like those models and I only have 3.

[attachment=2982][attachment=2983][attachment=2984]

vulcanologist:

Great stuff! Must get back to my skaven but I’ve been sidetracked by hobgoblins!

ryanamandaanna:

I really like your color scheme, Grim… how do you give everything such a sickly tone?

Grimstonefire:

It’s a very simple trick I learned from looking at golden daemon entries a few years back.

Basically you use the same base colour for all the highlighting.  On the models I saw it was grey, but in this case it’s Kommando Khaki.  I use that to highlight up all the colours and to paint the skin and wood.  I don’t use in on the base though (as it’s to tie in with my dwarfs).  So tonally it’s all very similar.  The sickly greens really help of course, and giving things a coat of badab if they look too bright.

The war machines I must admit I caught myself out by choosing to paint wood this way (brown undercoat then almost white is an odd way to paint wood). But I felt I had to carry on using the same method, I used Dheneb Stone in the end though because I was using heavy washes later and the khaki just didn’t show up enough. It looks suitably rotten.

I did a very quick bit of object source lighting on the warlord using watered down scorpion green.  That’s the one colour I reserve to use as highlights from warpstone/ warpstone flames.