[Archive] Guide To Stripping Plastics

Pyro Stick:

I have a hell of a lot of badly painted plastics that ive been wanting to strip for years. I have almost 100 plastic chaos dwarf warriors needing stripped that i bought a load off of ebay that were terrible painted but i had no idea how i would do it. I knew that you can use Nitromors to strip metal models but it just melts plastic models so when i saw this tip i couldn’t not try it out and i was very pleased when it worked. So heres how you do it:

Gather your abominations, a jar and a bottle of Dettol:

Fill the jar with some Dettol:

Then add some Water:

The mixture will turn milky. For this guide i used a 1/1 ratio of Dettol to Water. The more Dettol you use the quicker it will work but the more water you use the longer your bottle of dettol will last, but it will take longer to work.

Add your abominations to the Dettol or Dettol mixed with water solution:

Leave for a minimum of 24 hours. The longer you leave it the better it will work. I suggest leaving it for 24hrs first and then cleaning them up and then putting them back in the mixture because if you leave them in it too long the plastic starts to get a bit soft:

After 24 hours the models should look something like this, with the paint practically falling off:

Rub off what you can with your fingers then get an old brush and scrub off the rest. Edit: The mistake i made here was to get the models near water. Dont get them near water at all and dont rinse the brush in water or the paint turns into a sticky mess. Becomes almost like water resistant pva glue and the brush just ends up brushing all the paint back on in a black/brown gunky mess.

Eventually, after a lot of scrubbing, you will end up with decently stripped models:

There is still a bit of paint on these so you can either pick of the rest with a toothpick or put them back into the Dettol mixture, which is reusable a few times. I decided to put them back in the Dettol since a few are stained a bit.

Leave for a few hours more then repeat the cleaning process:

Tips
1. You can use pure dettol but it works in a fraction of the time so watch it. Scrub it after half an hour, then stick it back in and keep checking it.
2. Use gloves and a mask or do it in a well ventilated area as the fumes can make you feel faint. It also makes a mess and its a pain to clean your hands. you basically need to use dettol to clean them. Water just makes the gunk stick more.
3. Use a new brush every time. The paint sticks to the bristles so eventually the paint ends up getting smeared back on so switch to a new one before it gets to that point.

Note: This works for Plastic, Metal and Resin models.

Guide To Stripping Safely
Stripping Models Using Toothpaste
Other Stripping Alternatives
Buy Dettol From Amazon.com

Bassman:

Cool, I always hate bad painted minis with thousands of layers of cr*p paint!

I’ve learned another thing: dwarfs could swim!

grunts:

excellent tip Pyro. Any idea what effect Dettol has on green stuff?

furrie:

you could just drop a smal peace in dettol :stuck_out_tongue:

Ishkur Cinderhat:

What’s Dettol usually used for? I don’t think I have ever seen this concoction anywhere around here…

Ghrask Dragh:

Nicely done Pyro, will try this out very soon!

:cheers

grunts:

@ Ishkur.  Its a disinfectant.  I don’t think I’ll ever use it for that now after seeing the effect on paint :o

Xander:

I’ve been experimenting with Simple Green, and it’s been working well for me. :slight_smile:

Kera foehunter:

great job pyro!! thanks for doing this .

but im a simple green groupie

Mosk:

Ok hey I don’t think Dettol is sold in the US. Is there any thing else that works well for removing paint? Help us from over the pond please lol

AGPO:

Mosk - Simple Green. Does this have any effect on super glue of plastic glue Pyro?

Hashut’s Blessing:

Pyro made this mostly for people in the UK as the US (PAINT) strippers all use Simple Green (and Canadians do too, it would seem) and it;s always mentioned. Thanks Pyro! Now I might be able to sell my brothers old High elves…

starscream:

wow that looks great Pyro. I’ve always used brake fluid for plastics but you seem to be getting better results. Dettol eh? such an everyday product…who’d have thunk it?

Pyro Stick:

excellent tip Pyro.  Any idea what effect Dettol has on green stuff?

grunts
I have no idea what effect it as on green stuff but if you would like me to test it out then i will.
Does this have any effect on super glue or plastic glue Pyro?

AGPO
I would of thought it would eat through the glue as it does with the paint. But it might take longer.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Have you not tried it with glued models yet then?

wallacer:

Well, Dettol is sold everywhere here, so I might give this a go (although simple green seems to do the job too).

I wonder which costs less…

AGPO:

Does this have any effect on super glue or plastic glue Pyro?

AGPO
I would of thought it would eat through the glue as it does with the paint. But it might take longer.

Pyro Stick
Have you not tried it with glued models yet then?

Hashut's Blessing
That was pretty much the reason i asked. I've got some regiment sets I want to strip the paint off but as they're all ranked up I don't really want the glue to be damaged

Pyro Stick:

I dont know its effect on glue at all since the plastic chaos dwarf warriors are one piece models. When someone tests it out i will update the guide or if i get back into tomb kings then i will try it on a skeletion warrior and update the guide then.

clam:

Wonder if I can find Dettol here in Denmark - would like to try it out. I have tried brake fluid - but after melting 6 CD plastic warriors I have given up - using that on old plastics.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I’d imagine it doesn;t affect poly cement as that melts the plastic together, but no idea about superglue…