[Archive] Guide To Stripping Plastics

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull:

Now where did I put that dettol, it will be really usefull since my old goblins and orcs need to be stripped so that I can give them a decent paint job. Thanks for the guide.

Greetz

G

grunts:

I tried this out with one of the new plastic ogres that I’m stripping to convert for my WoC army (I know, I know…) I put it in the dettol all in one piece just to see how it effects krazy glue and GS. In the end the paint stripped off stupendously, but the GS was all cracked and rough so I wouldn’t recommend stripping models with lots of GS detail otherwise you’ll have to redo them. The krazy glue was hit and miss. A couple joints came apart, the rest were as strong as they were when they went in. I’ll definately be using this stuff from now on, and $10 a bottle isn’t bad.

Pyro Stick:

I tried this out with one of the new plastic ogres that I'm stripping to convert for my WoC army (I know, I know....) I put it in the dettol all in one piece just to see how it effects krazy glue and GS.  In the end the paint stripped off stupendously, but the GS was all cracked and rough so I wouldn't recommend stripping models with lots of GS detail otherwise you'll have to redo them.  The krazy glue was hit and miss.  A couple joints came apart, the rest were as strong as they were when they went in.  I'll definately be using this stuff from now on, and $10 a bottle isn't bad.

grunts
Thanks for trying it out on GS. For the bits of glue that stayed hard, i would suggest putting those bits back in the dettol for another 6 hours since you can re use the dettol about 3 times.

snowblizz:

I tried this out with one of the new plastic ogres that I'm stripping to convert for my WoC army (I know, I know....) I put it in the dettol all in one piece just to see how it effects krazy glue and GS.  In the end the paint stripped off stupendously, but the GS was all cracked and rough so I wouldn't recommend stripping models with lots of GS detail otherwise you'll have to redo them.  The krazy glue was hit and miss.  A couple joints came apart, the rest were as strong as they were when they went in.  I'll definately be using this stuff from now on, and $10 a bottle isn't bad.

grunts
Thanks for trying it out on GS. For the bits of glue that stayed hard, i would suggest putting those bits back in the dettol for another 6 hours since you can re use the dettol about 3 times.

Pyro Stick
I actually wonder if it might not be the soaking in water/liquid that does it for the green stuff. I know I have "stripped" miniatures in hot water and it will usually make any green stuff soft and malleable(ish), like stiff rubber. Usually comes off as well.
One miniature where I had made cobblestones out of green stuff on the base had the green stuff soften and dissolve a little, though having dried it is pretty much as it was, though somewhat frayed.

Da Crusha:

ok I don’t know about detoll, but I was wondering about simple green. is it safe for plastic models If I leave them soaking for a few hours? Is it safe for green stuff? Do I delute the simple Green?

Usually I use acetone to strip paint off of pewter models but it melts plastic bases pretty fast, 1/2 hour or so. I thought it would work for plastic because one time I stripped a necromunda model that I didnt know had a plastic gun and nothing happened to the gun.

Pyro Stick:

ok I don't know about detoll, but I was wondering about simple green. is it safe for plastic models If I leave them soaking for a few hours? Is it safe for green stuff? Do I delute the simple Green?

Usually I use acetone to strip paint off of pewter models but it melts plastic bases pretty fast, 1/2 hour or so. I thought it would work for plastic because one time I stripped a necromunda model that I didnt know had a plastic gun and nothing happened to the gun.

Da Crusha
I dont know the effect simple green or dettol have on green stuff but al you have to do it get a small ball of green stuff and soak it in the simple green/dettol and see what happens.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Does this stuff also work on resin? There are a few Death Korps soldiers I’d like to strip of an awful colour scheme…

Pyro Stick:

Does this stuff also work on resin? There are a few Death Korps soldiers I'd like to strip of an awful colour scheme...

Ishkur Cinderhat
I think it does. It wouldnt hurt to test it on a scrap piece of resin first, then i will know for sure. I already said in the first post that it works on resin but thats not info i got from experience but from another forum.

Loki:

I striped some cd models last night and its works a treat thanks for finding this out Pyro :slight_smile:

SteveM:

Thank you Pyro!  :hat off

I’ve been soaking some 40k Ork Boyz that I got off eBay (inexpensive and replaceable) in Simple Green for over 3 weeks now and have not been able to get off the last few layers of spray paint and primer (black followed by a layer of green).  My friend, a fan of Simple Green paint stripping, told me he’s never seen primer stripped off and was not as concerned as I about possible paint adhesion issues as a result.

After reading this guide I ordered two 750mL bottles of Dettol from Amazon.com for $21USD.  I got ahead of myself and soaked some minis in 100% Dettol, but I also only let them soak for 12 hours before rinsing.  Next time I’ll be sure to dilute 1/1 as directed.

The Ork boy on the left has been in undiluted Simple Green for over 3 weeks and still has two layers of spray paint on it, the one on the right has one layer of spray paint but has not yet been soaked in anything:

The lime green boy on the left was in 100% Simple Green for 12 hours and the other two were in 100% Dettol for 12 hours:

After a few minutes of brushing under running water:

I forgot to use washing-up liquid so some of the paint on the boy on the right re-adhered to the plastic, otherwise it would be a little cleaner.  Still, what Simple Green couldn’t touch after weeks of soaking Dettol decimated in 12 hours.  Once more in the Dettol should get the rest of the paint residue.

Thank you once again for a paint stripping guide that actually works and without using caustic chemicals!

torn:

wow this is great i always thought plastics couldnt be stripped properly and now i find i can do it with round the house cleaner!

can i just ask is it any special type of dettol or do they just make 1 kind?

snowblizz:

wow this is great i always thought plastics couldnt be stripped properly and now i find i can do it with round the house cleaner!

can i just ask is it any special type of dettol or do they just make 1 kind?

torn
Look at the picture in the first post. That's the stuff you want, the disinfectant. There are other products in the category so make sure you get the right one.

astragoth:

thanks a very lot! i have almost 100 models that is need to get the paint removed

Stubbs:

Wouw pyro this guide is amazing thank you so much really wantet to know this!

astragoth:

is there anything altenative other than dettol you can use?

nitroglysarine:

well detol i think i just a three part mixture of bleach, solvent (probably acetone) and glycerine to thicken.

so any ‘cleaner’ might work as well, but use a few test minatures first.

snowblizz:

well detol i *think* i just a three part mixture of bleach, solvent (probably acetone) and glycerine to thicken.
so any 'cleaner' might work as well, but use a few test minatures first.

nitroglysarine
Isn't acetone the stuff in nailpolish remover that melts plastics..?

so.sad:

is there anything altenative other than dettol you can use?

astragoth
anything containing a very high percentage of alcohol will also work very good (e.g. methylated spirits).

I use it all the time since its incredibly cheap and very fast - place your mini in there for 20min and you are good to go (but if you let it in there longer it will NOT hurt the miniature).

On the downside you'll need to wear gloves/glasses and do it in a well ventilated area.

Hashut’s Blessing:

As so.sad as made sure to point out, be careful if using methylated spirits. These are the things that (if you drink) will give you cataracts and cause you to go blind…

astragoth:

thanks evryone

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.