[Archive] GW Employees CD Knowledge

Murdock129:

Has anyone else had to deal with a GW Employee who clearly knows little about CDs but assumes they do? Or who are just unknowing about CDs in general.

I was speaking to one a couple of weeks ago who swore to me that Chaos Dwarfs were no longer supported because their in game race was wiped out by the wood elves, and that all chaos dwarfs worshipped Khorne.

I tried to explain to him the (many) reasons his idea about this was incorrect but he refused to listen and just seemed to think I was just some ‘kid’ who didn’t know what I was talking about

BeeZharr:

When picking up bits for my Hobgoblins conversions, the manager of my local store asked "They have orange skin, don’t they?"

I politely said that the old Games Workshop ones were green, but died a little inside.

Baggronor:

"They have orange skin, don't they?"
Originally they did have yellowy-green skin, which was changed to just green. But never orange lol
Has anyone else had to deal with a GW Employee who clearly knows little about CDs but assumes they do? Or who are just unknowing about CDs in general.
Plenty of times. They generally shut up when they realise I know more about Warhammer than they do. The phrase, '5th ed? That's before my time' makes me feel older every time...
I was speaking to one a couple of weeks ago who swore to me that Chaos Dwarfs were no longer supported because their in game race was wiped out by the wood elves, and that all chaos dwarfs worshipped Khorne.
Lol, someone needs to explain his job description a little clearer. Making up world-changing fluff is for the guys in the studio.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Well, my GW rep knows all about them…so the knowlege isn’t dead. In fact, he phoned me when the Lammasu and Great Taurus came out.

Keep in mind that a lot of the GW staff probably got their jobs AFTER the CD’s left the scene. I’ll bet that 75% of them only know the CD’s as the 3 man crew that tend the Hell Cannon.

Well, they’ll get re-informed when CD’s make their return. Thankfully WF re-introduced them.

Nicodemus:

I’ve had some disappointing experiences in the past, along the same lines as those above - essentially most young GW employees in the shops don’t know anything about Chaos Dwarfs at all, nor are they interested.  

I suppose playing devil’s advocate a little, as they aren’t a supported army there’s lots more that the GW employees are expected to be very knowledgeable about. Some of them put in the effort to know as much as they can about everything because they love all aspects of the hobby, while I’m sure others only want to know about only those things they need to know about. … and there’s only so much one can stand to listen to when some nerd comes in talking about their favourite [insert odd army here (e.g. Squats, Estalia, Fimir, Kislev)] army.

When pressed for details about what armies I play I’ve just said “Chaos Dwarfs” and expect to leave it at that and perhaps just smile at what ever they say next. The above being said, I have been surprised that a number of older/more experienced GW staff are very interested in hearing details about Chaos Dwarfs, have wanted to know what the current status is and what I’m using for conversions (queue their segue to selling me some stuff for conversions and informing themselves of what to sell to anyone else who comes in asking about CDs/hobgoblins, etc).  A number of those same interested staff have genuinely been pleased to hear that the CD community is strong and I’ve heard from a great number of them that Chaos Dwarfs were their first army, then they tell their sad tale of how they gave it away or sold it ages ago and would like to have it back.  :cheers

~N

[/i] I was speaking with a GW rep over the phone last week and he was very knowledgeable. He also implied that a number of them (in the US at least) knew all about CDO and he had very good things to say. He knew the status of the Ravening Hordes list and had seen some of the indy lists/books as well. Essentially he said we should keep doing what we’re doing as

cornixt:

You have to remember that most young players weren’t even born when the last CD army models were available in the shop, and even the Hellcannon is a distant memory to some. It’s sad to see so many who don’t even know about the Forgeworld models though, you’d think they would at least be told these things since if you left it up to the employee then all they’d know about would be the latest 40k stuff that came out last week (something marine-related).

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Space Smurfs FTW…after that, I guess the knowledge is null!

Abecedar:

and it also depends on which store. some have been really happy to talk about CD’s whilst others are so “company” minded they wouldn’t even admit that “chaos dwarf” was in the dictionary. until now of course

Murdock129:

I guess it depends where you go, I mean most of the staff at my FLGS, this guy’s new and one of those incredibly annoying staff members that just suck in every way

Most of the guys though are great, heck one of them even has a few scratchbuilt Squats in a display case, and most are willing to talk about CD’s, Squats, Fimir, Zoats and the like

richard barby:

imsure to some a hobgoblin is a old type of beer that there dad drinks when hes watching the rugby

Baggronor:

imsure to some a hobgoblin is a old type of beer that there dad drinks when hes watching the rugby
Excuse me! Hobgoblin is very nice thank you, and I'm nobody's dad :cheers

nitroglysarine:

Baggronor
I prefer Green Goblin, and I am the daddy! ;P

Thorne:

This has been said countless times in many places conversations and forums. Some staff know what they are talking about I have even had a wonderful conversation about squats to a female staff member but sadly many of the staff have either not seen models or fluff from since before many products that were released before 1995 so don’t know or never seen many games workshops lines before then. It’s a mixed bag. If you think about it some of us have models older than some GW store staff.

richard barby:

then i guess both you guys dont work for gw :slight_smile:

Thorne:

GW and I would be a bad mix. Whilst I love many aspects of the wargaming hobby I simply hate the GW ethos and how they conduct business. That said they have done many magnificent things for the hobby I still am reluctant to buy more products at the current prices and I am even more perplexed by some changes that they have made in the past decade. Give some members of staff the credit they are due many of the less apparently enthusiastic store sales staff tend to have a much better wealth of knowledge as a mere casual observation.

Admiral:

Murdock129
:D That's priceless. Wiped out by Wood Elves. The ultimate humiliation.

Since I've so far only had the chance to visit a Games Workshop store once (in Stockholm), I have nothing to contribute. Still, it seem odd that GW store staff would be hostile to any old model range. Their job is to sell stuff, and then you're not supposed to be bone-hard and inflexible in your views of the wargame's imaginative background world. They should be accomodating, quite interested and slightly laid-back rather than stubborn and blockading. With a lot of good ol' stuff brought back into Warhammer with Storm of Magic (a lot of it older than me), such behaviour must appear comical, I suppose.

Besides, I thought that part of the Chaos Dwarfs' appeal is their mysteriousness. Brief background drafted in with Ogre Kingdoms, the Hellcannon (including its masked crew) and odd snippets from army books all make the CDs look like an enigma in the Warhammer world. Even though there are quite some (5th edition) background for them, the little glimpses that GW has thrown out through the years has made for a deliberately mysterious impression of the blacksmiths of Chaos. It's quite contradictive of some store staffer to state that pointy eared forest frogs eradicated them.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

To be honest, I don’t expect GW employees to know anything about Chaos Dwarves. I mean, why would they?? Unless someone fished out the original rules for them to look at, they really don’t need to know because for them it is a dead product line. I have lots of customers that talk to be about their old servers (I work in IT) that had this feature or that feature…but it isn’t like I’ve ever pulled out the specs or manuals to look them up. And yeah, we do still have some in use out there but we don’t service them so I don’t need to know about them. I guess my point is - don’t be too hard on them for not knowing. Sure it would be nice if they did but it really isn’t in their job description.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Admiral:

Not knowing isn’t odd at all, but stating that CDs got wiped out by Wood Elves is not so accomodating to the customer. Better with some polite questions about the Chaos Dwarfs, and (if they recognize the look of the Hellcannon crew) perhaps point at the Dwarf Miners and propose that box as a base for some wicked great weapon conversions, with Chaos axe and pick heads thrown in. That’d at least be some accomodating salesman sharking. :wink:

Abecedar:

Baggronor
Haven't had the beer (being down under) but I've got the T-Shirt

Willmark:

Makes me glad that I’ve only ever been in one once and there are no stores nearby…