[Archive] Help choose a Hobgoblin

laribold:

Hi all,

This is the very start of my foray into the realms of Chaos Dwarf modelling and wanted to get some feedback from the esteemed members here.

I’ve come up with a basic idea for my hobgoblins which is to use the old, 6th edition Night Goblin bodies and heads (they are far too large for goblins anyway so seem perfect for hobgoblins). I like the hunchbacked appearance of these guys, it seems to fit the hobgoblin ethos in my opinion.

I am going to give them Empire Flagellant arms mainly carry cat o’nine tail whips with the odd flail thrown in for good measure.

The question mark then arises over what legs to give them… I don’t want to use the Night Goblin legs as they then look too, well Gobliny. I want them to be taller (there’s a Blood Bowl team on here that used Flagellant bodies I believe that has informed my thinking on this).

So I’ve come up with three options to date and wanted to get people’s feedback and thoughts on them:

They are:

Empire militia legs:

Zombie legs:

High Elf archer legs:

So, what’s everyone’s opinions on this? Which looks best in terms of scale? Which looks the most ‘hobgobliny’?

I’d appreciate your input into this.

Cheers

Kered:

I think the militia legs defiantly work best, I did think the zombie ones but they are far too thin for the body.

Zanko:

The militia legs are the “best” option.

But to be honest imo none of the legs are really good choices!

I like mostly the original legs or the legs Borka uses …

… but I don`t know from which minis these legs are!

:hashut

Golder Goldeater:

I like mostly the original legs or the legs Borka uses ...
... but I don`t know from which minis these legs are!

Zanko
They look like normal night gobbo legs extended with greenstuff
The zombie legs look better imho. The imperial are too human looking.

Gar Shadowfame:

Use flagellants legs, or new scaven with old goblin heads.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I dislike those militia legs because they are too tall for the bodies. I dislike the elf archer legs because they make his waist cinched in like the most extreme corseting ever (the woman that forced herself into a 12" waist). The zombie legs are a little closer to the mark as they appear emaciated, however, the rest of the appearance doesn’t say that. Either lengthen the gap between body and legs or simply use the flagellant legs, which would probably be the easiest and best option, especially if you’re using flagellant arms anyway.

Vash:

alternativly, use the entire flaglant. and stick the night gobbo head on it, like i did.

although they aren’t as hunchbacked as normal goblins, a little extra greenstuff should do the trick.

laribold:

Hmmm…

OK, not a lot of love for much of them here then…

I have to say I’m personally not a huge fan of flagellant bodies for hobgoblins. They look too tall and upright for what I imagine and the BFSP night goblins look like, well, night goblins to me.

I guess I’m kind of looking for a slightly different way of doing hobgoblins other than sticking them in robes.

I think I’ll look at lengthening the body of the militia legged one and try bulking out the join for the high elf one and see if they work any better.

Grimstonefire:

The zombie legs look best imo, the empire and HE ones look too… organised(?) Not sure that is the best word.

Golder Goldeater:

To be honest, Xander has made the best Hobgoblins I’ve ever seen.

I would definitely go for them if I were you.:hat off

Vash:

ah… for no robes and stuff, the zombie legs are probably the best of the 3. the HE legs make him look like a girly hobbo, dressed up for a glamour ball:) the militia ones look to bulky. are all zombie legs like the one you used in the trail model or are some of them more skeletal?

Thorne:

Skaven with head swaps … Hmmmm interesting … :wink:

tjub:

I would say that the one with zombielegs looks best.

I did my hobgoblins with clanrat bodies and greatchin heads…

laribold:

I would say that the one with zombielegs looks best.

I did my hobgoblins with clanrat bodies and greatchin heads...

tjub
Oooh... me likey. Now that's more like a hobgoblin in my opinion. Might be needing to invest in some skaven instead then.

Golder Goldeater:

I did my hobgoblins with clanrat bodies and greatchin heads...

tjub
WOW! This lad is great! Gread job mate!

Hashut’s Blessing:

Looks like several people have decided to get the Island of Blood box, lol :smiley:

KramDratta:

Can someone pls tell me where I can find these ‘greatchin heads’ ?

Cheers

snowblizz:

Can someone pls tell me where I can find these 'greatchin heads' ?

Cheers

KramDratta
40k Ork Gretchin box. Not all heads are useable so go to a bitz site and order.

Fro the OP
I have this thread with some examples where I've struggled with the same problems. And have a few examples, especially what you can do with Gobbo+HE parts.
http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5134

silentbob27:

I prefer keeping the conversions easy (though I do some pretty complex ones too). For my mass of hobgoblins, I use Plague Monk bodies (minus tail, spikes, and boils), Plague monk arms/weapons (minus boils and the rare rat symbol), and a cast hobgob head (though any gobbo head will do, the old NG ones are best).

The conversion is quick, easy, cheap, and decent scale-wise.

This is my test model to check the paint scheme.

Decent first post?

Shakhorth:

I prefer keeping the conversions easy (though I do some pretty complex ones too). For my mass of hobgoblins, I use Plague Monk bodies (minus tail, spikes, and boils), Plague monk arms/weapons (minus boils and the rare rat symbol), and a cast hobgob head (though any gobbo head will do, the old NG ones are best).

The conversion is quick, easy, cheap, and decent scale-wise.

This is my test model to check the paint scheme.

Decent first post?

silentbob27
That looks like a nice sneaky git hobgoblin. How is the size compared to a dwarf?