[Archive] Help with a Llammasu

thewizardofoz:

I really want to use a Llamassu in my LOA army.

Want your advice on how to use it effectively - i.e. What else would you include?

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I don’t know of anyone who has found a way to use one effectively. It’s a cannon-magnet and a flimsy one too.

gIL^:

I run a Lammasu model as a Great Taurus. That’s how to use it effectively :smiley:

BABIS:

I run a Lammasu model as a Great Taurus. That's how to use it effectively :D

gIL^
ahahah quote of the day ;P

Yodrin:

I run a Lammasu model as a Great Taurus. That's how to use it effectively :D

gIL^
ahahah quote of the day ;P

BABIS
Yea, that's funny, lol

tjub:

Ive used one in friendly games a few times, don’t think it has survived any battles. But given the breath weapon its at least a nasty surprise. Also its been against Vampires and Chaos so not much shooting against it. But I love the concept any my old conversion is so full of character that I have to use it from time to time.

Bloodbeard:

I have the bits to convert myself a lammasu - and I’m definately gonna field it in a game. It might not be as tough as the taurus (that blazing body is awesome) - but it is also cheaper. And it’s a fun think that it can cast some magic.

I’m gonna use it with the lore of fire and then give the sorcerer prophet lore of hashut. So he’ll fly behind enemy lines, make them flammable and then the lammasu can toast them up.

I have some games against Khemri coming up, and once we reach the points needed - I’ll try it out.

thewizardofoz:

I have the bits to convert myself a lammasu - and I'm definately gonna field it in a game. It might not be as tough as the taurus (that blazing body is awesome) - but it is also cheaper. And it's a fun think that it can cast some magic.

I'm gonna use it with the lore of fire and then give the sorcerer prophet lore of hashut. So he'll fly behind enemy lines, make them flammable and then the lammasu can toast them up.

I have some games against Khemri coming up, and once we reach the points needed - I'll try it out.

Bloodbeard
To be honest, I was thinking - ah, access to Shadow - Ill take that. It never occurred to me to take fire and combine it with Hashut in that way. Very clever.

thewizardofoz:

Played my first game tonight with a Llammasu and tabled my opponent. He is quite a good player but didn’t bring a great list.

His list, what I remember and I apologise any lizardmen fans for getting names wrong.

Lord Kroak - special character?

Saurus bsb

saurus hero

2 skink priests

temple guard

block of saurus

saurus cavalry

lots of little units of poison shooty things

My list

Sorcerer level 3 Hashut

charmed shield

Llamassu

level 1 fire

breath weapon

deamonsmith level 1 fire

scroll

bsb

dragonhelm

shield

sword striking

5++ ward

khan

wolf

dragonbane gem

relic sword

shield

light armour

potion of foolhardiness

20 x guard

blunderbusses

standard and musician

banner of switness

20 hobgblins

bows

shields

standard and musician

Kdaii fireborn x 5

Kdaii destroyer

Basically I ran both the kdaii units forward and followed up with the other 2 units. The wizard flew to the side of them and waited for a break.

I got a couple of lucky rolls off but basically the kdaii fireborn teamed up brilliantly with the destroyer and took out every unit he threw into combat with them. My plan was to let the kdaii die but drag down as much as possible in doing so and sweep up with the other units when finished but they actually tore his units to shreds.

The wizard flew around casting little buffers (Hatred) and causing confusion with the ash storm and fireball combo - (sweet move by the way!) He was so distracted by the massive firey monster and the block of slightly smaller firey monsters that he didn’t pay the Llammasu much notice.

Not a definitive answer but definitely an army I am using at a comp soon so will be able to feed back further after that.

At the end of the game he had 1 skink priest alive and I lost only 3 dwarfs, 10 hobgoblins, 2 fireborn, 3 wounds on the kdaii and a khan.

The thing I was most impressed with was how fun it was playing with lots of monsters again and my opponent was a great sport - my prophet went down the whole in turn one and we rerolled the miscast result as we both wanted to see how the list would work - sound opponent.

GDD:

I’m glad to hear that you found a use for it. Think the fireborn strategy was a really good idea.

It makes me think of a few other ways to include one in our lists.

Did you get to use the breath weapon at all? I’m a bit worried about trying to flank breath things with it since it’s squishy.

I just really really like the ragging heroes model, and the idea of a wizard riding a wizard…

thewizardofoz:

I'm glad to hear that you found a use for it. Think the fireborn strategy was a really good idea.
It makes me think of a few other ways to include one in our lists.

Did you get to use the breath weapon at all? I'm a bit worried about trying to flank breath things with it since it's squishy.

I just really really like the ragging heroes model, and the idea of a wizard riding a wizard..

GDD
Yes to be fair, I blew (literally) the breath weapon too early as I wanted to get to use it before the Lam died. I flew to the side of his saurus cavalry and used it right down the line, killing 1 so not best use of it but not bad really. If I hadn't wanted to use it so badly, it would have been really nasty against one of his little shooty units but in honesty, the saurus cav had moved to flank my destroyer so any wounds I caused helped in the long run.

GDD:

Yes to be fair, I blew (literally) the breath weapon too early as I wanted to get to use it before the Lam died. I flew to the side of his saurus cavalry and used it right down the line, killing 1 so not best use of it but not bad really. If I hadn't wanted to use it so badly, it would have been really nasty against one of his little shooty units

thewizardofoz
Wait, it's not a one time use weapon? It dosen't say so in storm of magic at least.

Or do you mean that you panicked and used it too early, and lost your chance to use it later in the game?
(Sorry I'm just confused if there are any rules I'm missing.)

thewizardofoz:

Yes to be fair, I blew (literally) the breath weapon too early as I wanted to get to use it before the Lam died. I flew to the side of his saurus cavalry and used it right down the line, killing 1 so not best use of it but not bad really. If I hadn't wanted to use it so badly, it would have been really nasty against one of his little shooty units

thewizardofoz
Wait, it's not a one time use weapon? It dosen't say so in storm of magic at least.

Or do you mean that you panicked and used it too early, and lost your chance to use it later in the game?
(Sorry I'm just confused if there are any rules I'm missing.)

GDD
Breath weapons are 1 use only I'm afraid so it would have been better to plan how I wanted to use it. Still, he breathed, they died - successful day all round!

GDD:

I just realized something… You can do the ash storm and fireball combo for 25 p with the ruby ring of ruin VS the 195 p Lammasu…
In fact you can put him on a Great Taurus with the ruby ring, and he will still be cheaper than with a Lammasu… And more killy.

And the Ruby Ring is a bound spell power 3, so you can cast a fireball on a 3+ VS the normal 5+!

EDIT: In addition you can also spend an extra 30 p to have a strength 4 flaming breath weapon… Ash Storm, Fire Ball, Fire Breath combo. Good bye ogres.

thewizardofoz:

I just realized something... You can do the ash storm and fireball combo for 25 p with the ruby ring of ruin VS the 195 p Lammasu...
In fact you can put him on a Great Taurus with the ruby ring, and he will still be cheaper than with a Lammasu.. And more killy.

And the Ruby Ring is a bound spell power 3, so you can cast a fireball on a 3+ VS the normal 5+!

EDIT: In addition you can also spend an extra 30 p to have a strength 4 flaming breath weapon.. Ash Storm, Fire Ball, Fire Breath combo. Good bye ogres.

GDD
Where is the 30pt flaming breath weapon from? that sounds interesting.

All of that sounds great but then I wouldn't have a Lammasu :(

Nah, got to stick with Larry the Lammasu, I am afraid but thinking now of:

Lvel 4 Hashut
Ruby ring
Black Hammer of Hashut
Lammasu
Lvel 2 Fire

If I roll well, that's Ash storm and then possibly 4 things that could rip him to shreds (Obviously not in the same turn)

GDD:

The breath weapon is s Great Taurus upgrade from SoM.

I agree with the Lammasu, but it’s just so sad how expensive he is :frowning: I think he is atleast 30 p overprized.

All I ever wanted was to ride a giant flying bull dwarf…

thewizardofoz:

The breath weapon is s Great Taurus upgrade from SoM.

I agree with the Lammasu, but it's just so sad how expensive he is :( I think he is atleast 30 p overprized.
All I ever wanted was to ride a giant flying bull dwarf...

GDD
Ah but unless we are playing SOM I cant use it. In a normal game of Warhammer using the LOA rules, the Taurus has to be used as represented in the Tamurkhan book so I cant give him the breath weapon upgrade.

I agree with the points cost - I would even pay the 195 if he had a save of any kind to normal attacks - he got killed by skinks the other day. Still, he is one of the coolest fluff models in the game and the wizard riding a wizard things is awesome.

GDD:

Since the Q&A on the Lammasu says you can take upgrades from SoM I just naturally assumed the same applies to the Taurus… Especially since they talk about Cinderbreath’s strength 5 breath weapon “being stronger than a normal Bale Taurus”.

As this thread has pointed out there is a lot of rules I am not strong on!

Though your crazy lore of Fire/Hammer combination is still scary without the Taurus. Especially scary if you roll a 2 on your Darkforged Weapon!
Also I would give you credit for becoming a CD player who can reliably field a Lammasu and win the match.
Looking forward to hearing if you had any success in 2014 Sheffield Slaughter. (I think that was you at least?)

thewizardofoz:

Since the Q&A on the Lammasu says you can take upgrades from SoM I just naturally assumed the same applies to the Taurus.. Especially since they talk about Cinderbreath's strength 5 breath weapon "being stronger than a normal Bale Taurus".

As this thread has pointed out there is a lot of rules I am not strong on!

Though your crazy lore of Fire/Hammer combination is still scary without the Taurus. Especially scary if you roll a 2 on your Darkforged Weapon!
Also I would give you credit for becoming a CD player who can reliably field a Lammasu and win the match.
Looking forward to hearing if you had any success in 2014 Sheffield Slaughter. (I think that was you at least?)

GDD
Yes alas, I think the upgrade option from SOM for Taurus got asked and shot down before but it would have been sweet I agree.

I have won 1 game with the list I am running and then lost one with the same list the week after - scary thing is both games, exactly same list, same opponent. In the first week I tabled him and the second he did me. We both had terrible dice rolling on our off weeks (turn 2 rolled a 6 on my kdaii test, then rolled 5 so 3 wounds and failed 3 charges by 1" on every single one! Inconceivable!)

Yes off to Sheffield next weekend so will let you all know how I go.

Thank you for the advice and help guys.

Geist:

Well you get points in my book for trying to make the monsters work. The tarsus will survive more thanks to his reroll wounds rule, the lama will be ok in challeneges or against characters thanks to his switch off magic weapons rule, but sadly that effects rider and mount. So if I had to try for it I would go tarsus or great tarsus. But if I was trying to be competitive I would not do either, though I sure would like to run one some time, a sweet model that I can put alot of paint work into. Of course then the problem is I feel that I must run lore of fire (to heal the stupid bull), which is weak compared to Hashut. Gah this makes me run around in circles.