[Archive] Hobgoblins(2)

Kera foehunter:

well those are stretched hulkster there made from the night goblin archer from bfsp

Hobgoblyn:

Funny facts on Hobgoblins - When J.R.R. Tolkien was writting The Lord Of The Rings, he wrote that the improved Goblins were Hobgoblins. These were larger than the Goblins. Later on, someone had told him that Hobgoblins were smaller than regular Goblins, according to the mythology, so Toilken decided to rename his Hobgoblins the Urki-Hai.

However, the "New" myth that Hobgoblins were taller than normal Goblins somehow stuck and now Hobgoblins are taller than regular goblins in GW and other mini's.

Tarrakk Blackhand
Well, whether Hobgoblins should be bigger or smaller than normal Goblins could be debated... the original Hobgoblin, Robin Goodfellow, was human sized and regularly disguised himself as a human (if a short, thin one). He's the character "Puck" in Shakespear's play and also got morphed into the legend of Robin Hood.

Tolkien's mistake wasn't the size of Hobgoblins so much, it was that he wrote that Hobgoblins were bigger and nastier than normal Goblins... but actually Hobgoblins were supposed to be the nicest, if mischievious and playful, Goblins who would just get you lost in the woods to teach you a lesson or steal from the cruel tax collector and give back to the farmers rather than break into your house and stab you in your sleep and steal your kids.

Because of Tolkien's mistake, almost every single fantasy game that contains Hobgoblins lists them as... bigger, nastier goblins... I can count the instances on one hand I've seen them properly portrayed as playful, friendly, anti-authoritarian Goblins.

However, individual Hobgoblin myths range from having them be small enough to be able to sit on a toadstool while having a conversation with a human to being able to disguise themself as a helpless old beggar.

The "Hob" part just indicated that they were (relatively) nice, not that they were a different size. It is also the same root-word from which he used in "Hobbit" which makes things even more bewildering how he ever couldn't have known that Hob-Goblins were Friendly-Goblins.

Kera foehunter:

Thanks so much for this !! Hobgoblyn

this is cool now i have friendly Goblins

Hobgoblyn:

Thanks so much for this !! Hobgoblyn  
this is cool  now i have friendly Goblins

Kera foehunter
Well, you don't need the oft-misued term "Hobgoblin" for that.

There is still the Lutin and the Dokkaebi and no one has corrupted those terms yet.

Kera foehunter:

give me time !!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.