[Archive] Hod finally paints his Chaos Dwarfs - Purple Tutorial Pg. 8, Face Tutorial Pg. 9

tjub:

Id much prefer the yellow one…

Admiral:

You might wish to mix in yellow somewhere if purple, black and red is going to be used. Perhaps yellow cloth trim dags?

Slavemaster Hod:

You might wish to mix in yellow somewhere if purple, black and red is going to be used. Perhaps yellow cloth trim dags?

Admiral
I really like that idea of yellow with the purple. I'll have to try that.

Slavemaster Hod:

Got back to my paints a few days ago, and the first thing I did was get to painting my first CD. The night I got home I pulled out my raw metal tall hats to take a look at exactly what I had. I knew I was going to do the tall hat axemen first and I noticed that I had three of the same axemen for four different types of axemen, and inspiration hit. I had been having a hard time deciding on a color scheme and seeing that I had three sets of four, I thought, why not do three different color schemes and have my lore involve something to do with three clans run a single keep. Each different color scheme will represent the clan that the dwarf came from. I get really bored painting the same thing over and over, so this really felt right to me.

I’ve started with the first clan’s color scheme, and of course I had to start with the classic. This this guy I’m posting below has had his base coat and initial shading done on the entire thing. For both Red and Flesh, I have brought both them up to an almost done place (minus the final highlight of white, or close to white). It wasn’t my intention to make the red look so fiery, but once it started, I kind of liked it and kept the feeling going.

Let me know what you guys think.

Darkmeer:

I really like this one. It’s different than the norm, and is a great start!

Miasma:

I love that fiery red a nice current take and the classic design. Its a nice skin tone as well a unit done like this would look fantasic. How would you do the base and metals?

Slavemaster Hod:

I love that fiery red a nice current take and the classic design. Its a nice skin tone as well a unit done like this would look fantasic. How would you do the base and metals?

Miasma
Thanks, that's what I was going for.

All my bases are blasted green stone (like a barren warpstone landscape). This is anticipation of my grand plan for all my minis, which is a glass coffee table where all my armies are fighting each other.

I'm going to do my golds (NMM) and my silvers (Metallic). This is a weird combo you don't see very often, but I just really like my golds in NMM, but I really don't mind the look of the silver metallics.

I actually just took a new pic with the gold done. In this pic, the only color I haven't done anything with yet is the silver, besides that, everything is only a highlight away from being done.

![ChaosDwarfAxeman01_10_15_16_2|215x500](upload://zjMeYVLfC9lVkcPNtSDWiUzXj6C.jpeg)

Abecedar:

I’m jealous. Thats a nice scheme. The balance with the blue is good, IMO any more blue would be too much.

Good idea with the different hats being different clans. Only problem that I can see is that it will mean all the upper rankers in the 4th Ed models (Leaders, Heros and Lords) being from the Flat Top Hat clan.

The fluff for the different paint schemes in my “Alliance” is just that the clans are divided between different model ranges.

By the way, Where do you hale from?

Slavemaster Hod:

I’m in the southwest US. A mountainous desert wasteland that any dawi zharr would appreciate.

Carcearion:

Oooh very good job, he looks great!

I love what you did with the shield, the gold arrows coming out the top of the head transform it into something a little dawi zharr as opposed to just chaos.

Malorndk:

You are obviously a gifted painter. The crispness of this model is super good with great effects in the highlights.

Your color scheme is really classic (Maybe lacks some black in it to be truly classic) but the fiery red is a modern twist on it.

The blue is great as the surprise color, and a unit made like this will look really good on the board. I wouldn’t shy away from making small differences in the models in the same unit, by replacing some of the blue on around 50% of the models, with small areas of green or purple, just to make the unit as a whole pop.

Another consideration you could do is the beards. The Chaos Dwarfs are among the wealthiest societies and they can easily spare the expense to dye their beards to intimidate the opponents. Always keep most of them black, but some could roll with brown, white, blue or purple beards. The blue and purple ones could either be black with some highlights in said color, or painted all the way from base color to highlight in said colors. This would remove tediousness of beard, and bring variety as a whole to the army. If you want to this, you shouldn’t scare at the first few “weird beards”. The are going to look stunning as a unit, and moreso as an army.

Anyway I’m excited no matter what you do. You have the skill and the passion to pull of something remarkable, and I will be sure to read along <3

tjub:

Great effect!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

You’ve done justice to a great, old mini. Good job!!

Forgefire:

Beatifully painted! Looking forward to see even more :slight_smile:

Bassman:

Brilliant! It’s one of the best color schemes for the good old big hats I’ve ever seen. And I’ve seen many :wink:

Fuggit Khan:

As has been mentioned already, the touch of blue is lovely. A great color balance and a very nice nod to the classic color schemes.

But my favorite bit is the superb color blending and tones on his face. He looks a bit drunk (as any decent Dwarf should be) :cheers

Slavemaster Hod:

Here’s my first ‘almost’ completed CD. I just need to do the base and possibly an ax highlight, and he’s where I want him. The final highlight is always the hardest, because it’s the easiest time to screw everything up.

I’ve started in on my blue scheme CD axemen, and hope to have some WIPs for that in the near future.

Abecedar:

still nice. you haven’t stuffed it up yet

Poison:

really impressive paintwork. gives justice to this gorgeous mini. can’t wait to see the whole force painted

Loidrial:

I envy so much all the people who are able to to the NMN. Looks great!