[Archive] Horace Goes Big Hat

Horace:

Hi,

after many years of wanting a Big Hat Chaos Dwarf army I took the plunge about a year ago and spent the time in between gathering together a drawer full of metal :slight_smile:

I have finally made a start on getting it all painted (alongside various other projects) so here are my first attempts, I wanted a traditional-ish red scheme. What are peoples suggestions for shields for the Axemen? I have seen Marauder shields look quite good, are they the best fit around?

Also if anyone wants to sell me Hobgoblin Wolfriders give me a shout :wink:

Zanthrax:

Welcome to the brotherhood.

I personally use the marauder shields for most dudes but also mix in some round shields with the old school transfers if you have some.

Can’t help out with the wolf riders but if If you need some extra big hat minis I have a spare earthshaker and death rocket and maybe a couple of others.

Again welcome to CDO

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Good choice and a good start! We’ve got a new General in the house!!

Horace:

Thanks for the comments and for the offer, I am ok for most things except Hobgoblins really.

I plan on using these in a Legions of Azgorh list, I have 30 Axe & Blunders, 2 Earthshakers, a Rocket, 10 Centaurs & a mixed unit of 30 Hobgoblins (Sneaky Gitz/Bowmen/Warriors). I wouldn’t say no to more Hobgoblins in general and Wolf Riders are the 1 thing I am missing.

I am still pondering my options regarding a Bull Taurus, although most of my army is metal 5th edition I much prefer the FW Taurus and magnetising my Lammasu rider to fit on both is an option, as is staying true to metal 5th and putting up with the less good Taurus :slight_smile:

I think Shar’tor will probably be my Destroyer if I ever bother getting one

BABIS:

super nice big hats :hat off:hat off

Abecedar:

Welcome Horace. Nicely done, classic models and colouring.

I too am unable to help with the woofs. 4th Ed Citadel WR’s are something my army lacks

Carcearion:

If your not dead set on classic metal The Russian Alternative hobgoblin wolf riders are very nice

Horace:

Welcome Horace.  Nicely done, classic models and colouring.
I too am unable to help with the woofs.  4th Ed Citadel WR's are something my army lacks

Abecedar
Thanks, the Wolf Riders seem to be the hardest thing to get hold of. I doubt I will really even use them a great deal since they sit in the Rare allocation for some reason.

Still it would be nice for completeness :)
If your not dead set on classic metal The Russian Alternative hobgoblin wolf riders are very nice

Carcearion
They are actually very nice, cheers for the pointer.

I have not resigned myself to not getting any of the originals yet, but I am thinking the chances are not great (I am not prepared to pay silly money for them). It is nice to have another good looking alternative.

Pappa Midnight:

Very nice indeed! I especially like the faces and variation in beard colour.

I am in the same position with the Hobgoblins. I love the classic look but not the price! I agree about the Russian Alternative ones being excellent alternatives. They are nice sculpts and have a good sense of movement.

Regards

PM

Jackswift:

This is a great start to an army. The paint is very well laid, and I especially like the faces, beard detail, and the edges of the skirt armor.

Horace:

Cheers for the comments, I have got through another batch to take me to the halfway point of my Axemen. A bunch of brown-bearded Dwarfs :slight_smile:

I have not really decided which way to go with my basing though. All my other armies are based in a nice (if you like that sort of thing) old-school Goblin Green on brown trays (pic below). All our games are played on the GW Battle Mat also. Should I base my big hats to match everything else or should I go for something slightly different and more Chaos Dwarfy. Opinions?

Basing Example

Carcearion:

That’s a tough call man

I think the real question is are interested in making chaos dwarf terrain and/or getting a more chaos dwarfy game mat?

Grimbold Blackhammer:

My army has been an experiment in basing. I wanted to see if great bases can make my average models look good and I get plenty of compliments on my models. Your painting skills look pretty good so I’d go with something extravagant just for fun!

Abecedar:

That's a tough call man

I think the real question is are interested in making chaos dwarf terrain and/or getting a more chaos dwarfy game mat?

Carcearion
Ditto. CD's with grass just seems wrong to me

Will Liam:

You could go with lava bases, rock and dead land brown grey colours witch do look very cool - but hay its sometimes fun to swim against the current I think :slight_smile:

Horace:

That's a tough call man

Carcearion
Ditto.   CD's with grass just seems wrong to me

Abecedar
It is, I am riddled with doubt :) I don't think I will be getting a new mat or making a whole new load of terrain, I have not yet finished making the entire scenery table as it is! Got a river still to make

However I do tend to agree that grass doesn't seem to quite fit hence my hesitance
You could go with lava bases, rock and dead land brown grey colours witch do look very cool - but hay its sometimes fun to swim against the current I think :)

Will Liam
Perhaps brown grey rocky type bases are a good way to go. I don't fancy going the lava route. I will have to knock up some testers and report back :)

Carcearion:

Well if your staying with your classic field I’d say use elements of it, do a grassy base but have a lava effect or scorched earth effect trailing behind or radiating from your chaos dwarfs :hat off

Abecedar:

I was having exactly the same idea.

I was thinking that printing out pictures of burnt / scorched earth the size of the units.

Then just place them out behind the units as they move forward leaving burnt trails

Carcearion:

I was having exactly the same idea.
I was thinking that printing out pictures of burnt / scorched earth the size of the units.
Then just place them out behind the units as they move forward leaving burnt trails

Abecedar
:o Wow that's a cool idea, I was just thinking about trying to make a transition on the base itself- but that would be a whole other level.

Enjoysrandom:

@Abecedar that is a great way of getting around playing with lava/rock themed bases on grass terrain, would look cool in the aftermath seeing where the chaos dwarves have been.