[Archive] How do Dwarfs reproduce?

Hobgoblyn:

I’ve never seen a female Dwarf, have you? If there are any, they are rarer than unicorns or Orc Wizards. And Dwarfs hardly seem to be the kind of race that would (or even could) allow its females to become total noncombatants in all ways.

So if Dwarfs do reproduce sexually, it seems like the difference between the two genders must be so small that no human can tell the difference between a male Dwarf and a female Dwarf. But, I don’t know how many stories there are of a Dwarf or Chaos Dwarf being born.

Or, perhaps like the greenskins they reproduce using spores? Or maybe new Dwarfs are carved out of the rock and turned into flesh and blood by magic? Or perhaps they secretly kidnap male human children (or sometimes perhaps elven children?) and magically transmute them into Dwarfs?

There’s got to be some interesting answer to explain the reason behind this single gender race.

Thommy H:

There are female Dwarfs:

They’re not “single gender”, or with no sexual dimorphism like Discworld Dwarfs, the women just don’t ever show up because it’s Warhammer and girls never get mentioned unless they’re evil monsters, witches or sexy Bretonnian sorceresses.

Kera foehunter:

that’s the queen there tommy H she no female dwarf
Reaper figures has the best line of female dwarfs  besides me * wink wink *
grimmly says that they are simler in size and shape lthe women folk but they have no beards
They are a human type being do to there old age most dwarf are children till 50 then they are teen ager
they probly breed  !! they are loving to each other i don’t know if they have the karma sutra  throw???
but there are female dwarfs there my hobgoblin buddy
so sorry that they don’t have female hobgoblin you race got ripped off

cornixt:

She is the Smurfett of Warhammer dwarfs.

Ancient History:

The WFRP books offer more detail on female Dwarfs, but everyone agrees that while rarer than the males (and explains the plural marriages), they do exist.

Kera foehunter:

best female dwarf figure out there she even has a eye patch  it a reaper figure

i bet she has a lot of suitors too

here are some more female dwarf
http://z8.invisionfree.com/SlayerBrotherhood/index.php?showtopic=113

Grimstonefire:

Dwarfs/ Chaos Dwarfs probably keep their women folk seriously well protected at all times. They are rare in relation to the men, so that’s why you don’t really see them in battles.

snowblizz:

Yeah, Dwarf women are rare and it takes an extraordinary Dwarf to get one to marry. Which incidentally I think explains this:

Snotling:

Well yep, that you cannot see female dwarfes on the battlefield doesn’t mean that there are no female dwarfs. It doesn’t even mean that female dwarfs are rare compared to male ones, it just means, that they are no warriors. But this common for EVERY race, even humans. The only exception are elves, which are all girls :slight_smile:

It is like Tommy says, Tabletops are very patriarchaic and pretty sexistic, because theonly women seen there are Monsters oder tit-monsters… you see towards whom tabletops are geared to ^^.

Well and to get back to your question, dwarfes reproduce with having sex, like all mamals do. Oh, and here is a female CD: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=488&page=14

She also is no common warrior, she’s an overseer so youz would prbably not see her on the battlefield… you meet her in the mines, after the battle ^^

Hobgoblyn:

so sorry that they don't have female hobgoblin  you race got ripped off

Kera foehunter
Technically, it would be more correct to say that there are no male greenskins.
She is the Smurfett of Warhammer dwarfs.

cornixt
Smurfette wasn't even a real Smurf, she was an immitation that Gargamelle created in order to lure the Smurfs out so that he could eat them or turn them into gold or something of that sort. And when she decided to rebel against him, her hair turned from black to blond.
Anyway, there were no naturally occuring female Smurfs except maybe the younger one that inexplictably appeared in the last (or second to last?) season.
However, for equally unexplained reasons the Smurfs all did seem to be attracted to her despite there being no other indication that they were sexually reproducing. Instead, there is every reason to believe that Smurfs are a single gender creature that reproduces much like GW's Greenskins (might even be where they got the idea!)
The WFRP books offer more detail on female Dwarfs, but everyone agrees that while rarer than the males (and explains the plural marriages), they do exist.

Ancient History
Oh? So then WarHammer female Dwarfs do exist. They just produce like 4x as many males or something of the sort. Saying that there are female Dwarfs in other similar fantasy games doesn't necessarily mean they exist in WarHammer, but if there is a WarHammer book that gives details...
Well yep, that you cannot see female dwarfes on the battlefield doesn't mean that there are no female dwarfs. It doesn't even mean that female dwarfs are rare compared to male ones, it just means, that they are no warriors. But this common for EVERY race, even humans. The only exception are elves, which are all girls :)

Snotling
What makes you think that's true of Lizardmen, Skaven, or Beastmen? Why would you think one could even recognize the gender of such creatures?
And since greenskins are genderless, that only leaves Humans, Halflings, Dwarfs, Elves and Ogres as possible races for there to be females.

Elven females are seen all the time, I believe there are/were models of Ogre females and there have been human female models. Halfling models of any sort are extremely rare, but Dwarf models are not.

Baggronor:

What makes you think that's true of Lizardmen, Skaven, or Beastmen? Why would you think one could even recognize the gender of such creatures?
Skaven females are bloated, immobile, simplistic breeding machines, as noted in the Skaven book(s). Gender presumably means as little in terms of appearance for Lizardmen as it does for real lizards; they do spawn, thus they must have eggs which are fertilised one way or another. Female Beastmen must also exist, as Beastmen are noted to 'breed and multiply', although that doesn't mean we want to see them. One assumes they are no more or less rare than male ones and are simply underrepresented in the miniatures range, the same way Beastmen are supposed to have a wide variety of mutations but all the models are Sheepmen.
that only leaves Humans, Halflings, Dwarfs, Elves and Ogres as possible races for there to be females.
There are, or have been, models of females from all those races. The rolling pin-wielding female Ogre is especially memorable.
Which incidentally I think explains this:
Dude, nothing explains that. Nothing. I feel like gouging my eyes out...

Border Reiver:

I’ll share my Brain Bleach with you.

Kera foehunter:

Hobgoblyn
so sorry that they don't have female hobgoblin  you race got ripped off

Kera foehunter
Technically, it would be more correct to say that there are no male greenskins.

well i have one new convert  con grades  hobgoblyn

btw smurfett was a female imp that Garamel change in to smurf!!
and like most male they all went nut in the present of a female!!
this is why there no female are talk about in all warhammer   The males will not go to war because they  rather stay home and make there race have more children!!
and this bring us back to the topic at hand

Snotling:

Oh Hobgoblyn, your such a knows-it-all :stuck_out_tongue: hehe :hat off

Well, I think the biggest mistake someody can make is to say somethign doesn’t exist, because there is no mini from it ^^. I mean, there are also no civilian minis in the Warhammer range, this doesn’t mean everybody in the Warhammerworld is a warroir. There are also no childrean. It is a battle game. No women means: no women in battle. Not only ‘No Women’.

I don’t know about the orcs, I mean, I also heard that they reproduce like mushrooms, but I also heard that this was more kind of a joke rumor which just came to live because everybody accepted it ^^.

Lizardmen are asexual. They are a artificial created race to serve the Old Ones and they are all equal. The eggs in the spawning pool are sacred, there are no lizard which put eggs in there, they just… grow. Lizardmen are childrean of gods… dudes, everybody knows that :stuck_out_tongue: And by the way… they don’t wear trousers, have you ever looked between their legs? Pure nothing :slight_smile:

And yes, Skaven warriors are male, everyone of them. To make that clear, a firend of mine glued a huge pack of balls behind the loincloth of every single warroir in his army… he allways said that this was the reason why my Lizards allways lose against his Skaven…

What makes you think that’s true of Lizardmen, Skaven, or Beastmen? Why would you think one could even recognize the gender of such creatures?

Hobgoblyn
Easy, at the time I play this race, I AM part of it and know everything my army knows :stuck_out_tongue: But you are right, probably the hald of the dwarf miniatures are female, we just cannot recognize them, because they all have beards… :stuck_out_tongue:

Hashut’s Blessing:

There are MANY examples of female dwarfs and the easiest source is the army book (not sure which edition/s though), which are where the definitive canon will come from. Also, there is Queen Helga, whom is a female dwarf.

Lizardmen: non-sexual, not asexual. They do not procreate, they spawn in a pool. I guess like plants… If they were alizard equivalent of beastmen, they would likely be asexual (similar to frogs and many reptiles), meaning they reproduce with themself and can switch sex.

Skaven: Similar to a beehive in that they have queen bees for birthing and male bees as drones.

Beastmen: Nowt indicating that there are females and I’d imagine you could tell in the same way as you could with people and mammals. Breasts and udders for them. I’d imagine it’s similar tot he Skaven situation, but there is likely a large elemnt of raping humans (apologies for that topic).

Greenskins aren’t genderless, they are sexless. Gender is masculine/feminine, sex is male/female. You could, potentially, get a feminine orc (there is a model of an Orc cheerleader for Bloodbowl, which means it isn’t canon).

Humans have females, we know that and there are models to back it up.

Halflings had women described in their fluff.

Dwarfs, as above and have a model.

Elves, it’s more difficult to tell if they’re a male elf :wink:

Ogres: there are females, as they were created alongside halflings and share similar traits (both eat lots is the main one, but ogres inexplicably like small creatures because of the halflings, hence befriending gnoblars) and have a female model (with a stuck on beard).

Snotling:

hm yeah, I think this is a good clarification, nothing more to say… :hat off

Hashut’s Blessing:

Thanks Snotling.

As to answer the actual questionin the title, I’d imagine in much the same way that real-world people do…

But, I’d rather not imagine at all…

Piccolo:

Or, perhaps like the greenskins they reproduce using spores? Or maybe new Dwarfs are carved out of the rock and turned into flesh and blood by magic? Or perhaps they secretly kidnap male human children (or sometimes perhaps elven children?) and magically transmute them into Dwarfs?

Hobgoblyn
greenskins do not reproduce by spores, you're confusing them with the 40k orks. Never in the history of Wh Fb was there mention in any rulebook that they reproduce via spores. On the other hand there are plenty of references (at least in trhe older books) suggesting that they reproduce just like humans.

As to the dwarfs I'm opting that they have females too.

Thommy H:

Never in the history of Wh Fb was there mention in any rulebook that they reproduce via spores.
Apart from the current one...

Gar Shadowfame:

the greenskin life cyce:

-pile of dirt

-snotling

-snotling creates bigger pile of dirt

-goblin

-goblin creates bigger pile of dirt

-orc

-orcs eat dirt and get bigger

:smiley: