[Archive] Infernal Engineer Question

The Gib:

I was reading through the rules for the sorcerer-prophet and the I had a question on the Infernal Engineer rule, this is probably covered in the rulebook but not sure where to look. If the sorcerer is in a unit is the 3" rule measured from the actual model or from the unit? It mentions the the Look Out Sir rule as if the model was in a unit, but never says the model has to be alone. Jus wondering if I put a couple of warmachines behind a large unit with the sorcerer at the front do I get the re-rolls, assuming the unit is within 3" but the actual model is not.

Da Crusha:

measure from the model. the engineer has to be within 3" of the warmachines to give his reroll ability.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

A character can claim a single Look Out, Sir! per hit - you can claim it from the war machine nearby or the unit your character is in but not both.

Getting a character in a unit and maintaining a 3" distance between two separate war machines is bloody hard. Don’t try.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Karring:

Getting a character in a unit and maintaining a 3" distance between two separate war machines is bloody hard.  Don't try.

Grimbold Blackhammer
Depends of the unit. I have made so, in a unit of 10 boys (archers) with machines behind.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I’m not sure what is meant by a unit of “archers” but I’m guessing “fireglaives”? The character is in the front rank with one fellow behind him and the unit must be 1" away from the war machine anyway. So the fireglaive unit can move about 1" forward and stay in contact with that war machine. If you’ve got a 2nd warmachine to stay within 3" of as well, the unit is reduced to about 1/2" movement (assuming both machines are behind the unit) but with only an 18" range, that means the enemy starts out of range and may or may not come into your range at their leisure. Which is bad since those dwarves need to earn some of those points back.

Another option is to put one war machine behind the fireglaive unit and the other on the side (and the character on the corner) but that still leaves only 1" of movement forward before you lose the reroll ability for the machine to the rear. And 1" again isn’t going to bring the enemy into range.

Yes it can be done. But it is tough to do.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Karring:

Of course, glaivers! Sorry a lot, boys… I use to think mixing english and spanish…

It is tough assuming you want to move the IG unit or machines, but in my point of view, shooting units must not move a lot during the game-and for this it has a vital importance to deploy them in the adecuate way.

Anyway, I have to sorry again, because I was a little confused…

Mi actual usual deployment is as follows:

Red one would be the engineer, right one is my Hellcannon and the other machine my magma cannon.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I’m not trying to be “that guy” but you’ve now got two models that cannot pivot to shoot. Nor can the Infernal Guard do anything other than move straight forward or shuffle left. And assuming your Hellcannon sticks out 2" in front of your Infernal Guard, they are 26" away from an enemy so they aren’t shooting possibly for two turns or more.

It just doesn’t seem practical to me. If you can make it work in game, I say go for it and report back!

Grimbold Blackhammer

zhatan87:

Being in 3 inches range of a warmachine is pretty easy : in your example, you are right to put your engineer next to middle of the hellcannon (so this way, you are still in range no matter the hellcannon needs to pivot to its target).
For your magma cannon, sure it would be possible, but I haven’t succeed to do it well without blocking pivot or movement… (because I also play my IG in block of 5*4-5 models deep…)

Vardan Painkiller:

or u can be 2,99 inch away from ur warmachines, u can place them 3" away exactly then push a little and iform opponent what ur doing, so u dont have to measure every phase etc

Grimbold Blackhammer:

or u can be 2,99 inch away from ur warmachines, u can place them 3" away exactly then push a little and iform opponent what ur doing, so u dont have to measure every phase etc

Vardan Painkiller
I'm sorry but I don't understand this post. I realize english isn't everyone's native language but less l33t sp34k and more spell checker please.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Hashut’s Blessing:

He means measure so that the machine is 3" away in deployment and nudge it a little closer (still whilst deploying). ell your opponent that you’ve done this and then you don’t have to measure throughout the game.

Silver:

I'm not trying to be "that guy" but you've now got two models that cannot pivot to shoot.  Nor can the Infernal Guard do anything other than move straight forward or shuffle left.  And assuming your Hellcannon sticks out 2" in front of your Infernal Guard, they are 26" away from an enemy so they aren't shooting possibly for two turns or more.

It just doesn't seem practical to me.  If you can make it work in game, I say go for it and report back!

Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimbold Blackhammer
Slap your machine on a circular base, pivot without issue.
Also no one would stop a war machine from pivoting due to the 1" rule.
Not even "that guy".

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Having my Iron Daemon tow around giant circles behind it will look dopey.

And yeah, I totally bust people who try and ignore the 1" rule. Which I find a lot of players constantly try to do.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Vardan Painkiller:

Silver, every player that ends up in top3 in tournaments i attend make sure 1" apart is enforced, this way they can get to top3. Same with combat reforming , you cant enter within 1" so ppl can block your units so you cant bring more units into combat.

Da Crusha:

I'm not trying to be "that guy" but you've now got two models that cannot pivot to shoot.  Nor can the Infernal Guard do anything other than move straight forward or shuffle left.  And assuming your Hellcannon sticks out 2" in front of your Infernal Guard, they are 26" away from an enemy so they aren't shooting possibly for two turns or more.

It just doesn't seem practical to me.  If you can make it work in game, I say go for it and report back!

Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimbold Blackhammer
Not even "that guy".

Silver
yeah, at the tournament scene there are definitely people that would enforce the one inch rule. myself included. not because I am being a rules lawyer and trying to get every advantage but because those are the rules.

a warmachine can still fire 90 degrees to the front so they shouldn't have too much trouble.

kbolster12345:

Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimbold Blackhammer
Not even "that guy".

Silver
I think Silver's point is that on a circular base if you pivot, keeping the center still, the bases will never be within 1inch of each other. And to hat end your engineer only needs to be within range o he base, not th model.

I am in agreement with him. As a player that surprisingly ends up in the top 5 tables at most tournies I attend I would have a problem with someone that didn't allow this. Probably ding them in sports or at leads ask a tourney judge to make the call.

Da Crusha:

I think Silver's point is that on a circular base if you pivot, keeping the center still, the bases will never be within 1inch of each other. And to hat end your engineer only needs to be within range o he base, not th model.

I am in agreement with him. As a player that surprisingly ends up in the top 5 tables at most tournies I attend I would have a problem with someone that didn't allow this. Probably ding them in sports or at leads ask a tourney judge to make the call.

kbolster12345
you would call a judge if someone didn't allow u to pivot to move a model within an inch of another model?

Silver:

The pivot of the war machine is the only thing I would have a problem with in the 1" apart rule.

Everything else of the 1" apart rule I agree that it should be enforced though its still somewhat an incredibly … silly rule to stay polite.

Da Crusha:

Everything else of the 1" apart rule I agree that it should be enforced though its still somewhat an incredibly ... silly rule to stay polite.

Silver
ya I agree. it should be enemies cannot come within an inch. that would make more sense.

Silver:

It was fine under 7th edition - both friendly and enemy units, even if it caused some silly side by side with your enemy moments, now its just 1" away side by side with your enemy… It just adds more fudging to the game than was necessary.

They can’t keep it simple enough while dumbing it down.