[Archive] Infernal Guard Weapon choices

Time of Madness:

Will anyone be arming Infernal Guard (aka basic chaos dwarf warriors - puke) with any of the expensive upgrades?

6 Skaven Slaves for an Infernal Guard with a shield and darkforge armour.

1.5 Skaven Slaves for a great weapon

2.5 Skaven Slaves for a fire glaive for a 18" S4 weapon (with bs3 remember)

3 Skaven Slaves for a blunderbuss for a 12" S3 weapon

Is it just me or are the weapon options really out of whack. These are some expensive upgrades. I think you may see a lot of hand weapon/shield Infernal Guard units.

Time of Madness

Time of Madness

Zhorn:

The question is: Will hand weapon+shield warriors achieve anything?

And, while i agree that the points costs (of infernals, all their upgrades, ironsworn and bull centaurs and all their upgrades) are ridiculous, it may be the case of “not enough killing power” if you leave the infernals without great weapon. So, too expensive they may be, but i’d rather take overpriced great weapon wielders than a unit which is just not fit for today’s warhammer battle field.

Of course, if the killing power comes from other units (but which?), then a stubborn center of “naked” infernals will be enough. I recon we’ll see naked, great weapon and sometimes a smallish unit of fireglaives. Alternatively, leave the great weapons at home and invest another 2 points for ironsworn… (who will at least have decent protection, a magic attack just in case as well as hitting before ironguts and the like.)

Thinking of it, WF really made a sneaky move: They offer no models with blunderbusses - they design shitty blunderbuss rules. The design no infernals with great weapons - they offer ironsworn as an alternative, for which they already have models. :wink:

Baggronor:

At str4, possibly. They are certainly more viable than regular Dwarfs with HW + shields.

Str 4 + Razor Standard is ok.

Great weapons are probably better despite the cost though, str6 is hitty.

I can't see myself taking BBs or Fireglaives for the cost. Why bother when you could just take Deathshriekers/Magma Cannons which will do the job better, and then fill your Core with shield-dwarfs and Hobgoblin chaff?

nilbog:

HW&S will be a good anvil. I don’t think they’re going to kill much on their own but should be reliable, especially with a BSB in there. Adding the razor standard (armour piercing) will help. We still need a good hammer, and I think there might be a few of them in the list - bull centaurs (though I’ve not seen the book, they might be overcosted now), k’daii, especially the destroyer, iron daemon at a push, ironsworn.

It’s a shame that great weapons are so expensive now, but I’m sure we can work round it!

Norngahl:

And, while i agree that the points costs (of infernals, all their upgrades, ironsworn and bull centaurs and all their upgrades) are ridiculous, it may be the case of "not enough killing power" if you leave the infernals without great weapon. So, too expensive they may be, but i'd rather take overpriced great weapon wielders than a unit which is just not fit for today's warhammer battle field.

Of course, if the killing power comes from other units (but which?), then a stubborn center of "naked" infernals will be enough. I recon we'll see naked, great weapon and sometimes a smallish unit of fireglaives. Alternatively, leave the great weapons at home and invest another 2 points for ironsworn.... (who will at least have decent protection, a magic attack just in case as well as hitting before ironguts and the like.)

Thinking of it, WF really made a sneaky move: They offer no models with blunderbusses - they design shitty blunderbuss rules. The design no infernals with great weapons - they offer ironsworn as an alternative, for which they already have models. ;)

Zhorn
First, I played IG with Fireglaives for 7,5 Skaven Slaves each. They did pretty well, sometimes they were able to shoot down smaller units of cav, lone chars or something like fanatics. They mostly hit on 5s or 6s when they moved, which was already pretty poor for this point costs, but hence it was okay.
In CC they had S5. They stroke last most of the time, hit on 4 and wounded on 2s or 3s, which was fair as well. They never dished out the damage you expected they should, but overall, they weren´t bad.

Now, with 8,5 skaven slaves per model they are simply absolutly overpriced for what they do. Putting out some wounds at range and recieving +1S in CC is simply not worth the points.. 2,5 SS for the option to shoot is simply not cost effective anymore.

In my opinion, you´re better of with 20-30 HW/S IGs and invest the 100+ points you saved on them into a decent warmachine.. Which will kill more points than any IG with Fireglaive could. And don´t miss that S4 isn´t bad, especially when the regiment is tough as nails with 3+/6++ base. You won´t crush the opponent like a skullcracker or bull centaur does, but hey, you get the most out of that unit if you think of cost/effectiviness relations. Do not forget that with Metal magic you can give them +1 to hit in CC, armour piercing AND magical attacks or with lore of Hashut Hatred. Most times they will protect a char or two as well, which add another offensive boost to the unit. I´d use this unit as a bunker for chars, a point bunker and a medium elite unit that takes care of low-medium threats. They are totally fine for that, for example to deal with Black Guard or Ironbreakers or Chaoswarriors. Leave things like Hydras or Chosen to your other units and you´ll see they´ll do great.

Blunderbusses are totally out with 3 SS each. With 12" you will not kill anything if the enemy is mobile, and thus you need 20+ to make them work.. That´s 120+ points you´re better spending onto warmachines again..

Only real option are the GW, even if they are expensive. You loose some defensive gear, but become more offensive. Striking last don´t hurt them that much, but instead they gain S6, which is pretty impressive for a core unit. This way they can go toe on toe with harder foes, but of course you have to take some more models. Expect to recieve more kills due to only 4+ AS. The unit should have 5-10 additional models to compensate that. Of course, the more you take from them, the less points you have to spend on other choices, and CDs have great choices in special when you will notice you´re missing the points invested here! None the less, a good choice and I think it comes really down to your personal prefference whether you take HW/S or GW on them. Depends on your playstyle, but both options are good, even if the GW could be 1 point cheaper..

I think a unit with GW and say 20 men (7x3) with Infernal Castellan BSB could do real good, as they are stubborn on LD10 with reroll. This way you can keep them in "small" numbers so you don´t have to take many backup bodies. They can soak 7 wounds until they start to loose effectivity, that should be totally enough.

Instead a unit with HW/S and say 25 men (5x5 or 6x4) could form a very decent anvil, especially if they carry a Daemonsmith with S5 bonus and metal magic support. Sure, they won´t do as much kills as the GW unit, but they will take less wounds in return, which should turn out the same results in return.

Personally, the targets the GW are meant for, I´d rather try to shoot or to splash with bull centaures, a Iron Daemon/Skullcracker or a Kdaii Destroyer ;) But thats just me.

My 5cents so far.

Special note:
Try to take a character with the Ironcurse Icon, for 5 points it will save you around 50 points per battle, sometimes even more if you face empire or dwarves.

Galladorn:

Andy, I agree with everything that you just said.

Great weapons in a 7x3 unit are everything. Am considering 2 of those units flanking a 25 strong 5x5 HW&S anvil unit. The BSB stays in the anvil, with an ironcurse icon. If 5 points saves 2-3 overpriced CDs then it’s worth it.

I am throwing around the idea of running either 2 units of 3-4 BC or 1 unit of 8. Great weapons of course.

CDs will NEVER outnumber the enemy unless we use vast amounts of slaves, so small units of BC are going to be harder to use. I’m thinking one large unit of BC will be able to punch through some enemy units.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Depends what army you’re using them in - on Warriors of Chaos, using them as standard or with great weapons is idiotic to say the least. Thusly, for WoC, use them with BBs (if against a horde army) or fireglaives (more elite armies) - they may be expensive, but it’s the best and most reliable shooting you’ll get.

Zhorn:

Depends what army you're using them in - on Warriors of Chaos, using them as standard or with great weapons is idiotic to say the least. Thusly, for WoC, use them with BBs (if against a horde army) or fireglaives (more elite armies) - they may be expensive, but it's the best and most reliable shooting you'll get.

Hashut's Blessing
Personally, i think the magma cannon or the death shrieker are better and more reliable shooting. ;)

Hashut’s Blessing:

Can they be taken by Warriors of Chaos?

elrodogg:

I wish I could see the point in taking BB or Fireglaives, but I just don’t. They are both too short range to be really effective for their points. I think in the end you’ll see 3-4 warmachines and a couple of units of 10 hobgoblin archers (assuming they made it from the french GD list to actual) and that will be it for shooting.

Vogon:

Well I’ve purchased 20 IG HW&S, 20 IG Fireglaves, 1 command squad and an Iron Daemon as the basis for my new army. It’s going to take me a while to get them all built and painted but I’m going to stick with them as bought.

I’m going to pick up more stuff as I go but this will be the "core"

Cheers

Vogon

Zhorn:

Well I've purchased 20 IG HW&S, 20 IG Fireglaves, 1 command squad and an Iron Daemon as the basis for my new army.  It's going to take me a while to get them all built and painted but I'm going to stick with them as bought.

I'm going to pick up more stuff as I go but this will be the "core"

Cheers

Vogon

Vogon
The bigger your games, the less impact the overpriced unit(s) will have, since a lot of other stuff in the list isn't overpriced at all (magma cannon, deathshrieker, hell cannon, K'daii, even hobgoblins - i'm looking at you!).

But it is a shame, i really dig the models and chaos dwarfs in general - and a "reasonable" price would have gone a long way towards balanced lists vs. artillery brigade of doom ("reasonable": IG 11 pts, greatweapon +1 or +2 pt, bb +2 pts, fireglaive +2?+3?, ironsworn 14/15 pts and a nifty special rule).

So stick to your guns (hehe!) and play bigger games! :cheers

Vogon:

@Zhorn. That’s the eventual plan :slight_smile:

Cheers

Vogon

Baggronor:

I’m still hoping the IG might just surprise us a little. 3+/6+ is pretty tough, and if we take big blocks with a BSB, they should be hard to get points off. With Metal and Fire magic, they could be boosted very nicely too (Glittering Robe, Flaming Sword, Enchanted Blades of Aiban).

I actually think BIG blocks are far better, despite the points cost. Like regular Dwarfs - blocks of 30+ that are giant points but damn hard to tackle.

Zhorn:

Yes, 33+BSB+Lord/demonsmith. 426 points before characters or magic banner, though… For another 165 points we get Ironsworn. (Strange how in that light the 17 points/Ironsworn don’t seem all that much anymore. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

Alternatively, a bunker of 14-18 fireglaives for Lord+BSB near the artillery train of doom (2 magmas, 2 shriekers, double hellcannon for the flanks, slaves to the front, wolfriders for diverting).

Groznit Goregut:

With the Core CD being so expensive, I can see myself taking a lot of Hobgoblins. I’m glad they don’t have an official model as I could probably use either Night Goblins or Common Goblins for the models (since they don’t have official models…). I’ve got over 2000 pts of them painted pretty well. I’m happy to use them.

Baggronor:

Yes, 33+BSB+Lord/demonsmith. 426 points before characters or magic banner, though....
I run my Dwarfs the same way, 30 Hammerers, and 2 blocks of 36 Warriors. Very expensive units but they are seriously hard to get points off. The big guns sit behind them and pound the enemy (true LoS ftw).

I'm now unsure about the great weapons on IG, more because of the WS4 than the points costs. They'll need 4s to hit a lot of the time and will cost 1.5 times as much as my Dwarf warriors (who already seem fairly costly). Shields for survivability might be better for the Core IG, with magic buffs.

Zhorn:

Yes, 33+BSB+Lord/demonsmith. 426 points before characters or magic banner, though....
I run my Dwarfs the same way, 30 Hammerers, and 2 blocks of 36 Warriors. Very expensive units but they are seriously hard to get points off. The big guns sit behind them and pound the enemy (true LoS ftw).

I'm now unsure about the great weapons on IG, more because of the WS4 than the points costs. They'll need 4s to hit a lot of the time and will cost 1.5 times as much as my Dwarf warriors (who already seem fairly costly). Shields for survivability might be better for the Core IG, with magic buffs.

Baggronor
The true difference is, that you get 3 (or even 4, if you really want to) blocks of greatweapon toting dwarfs some 40 strong with your typical 2400 list. I myself play 2x40 clan dwarfs w/greatweapon and 1x40 hammerers w/runelord+BSB. The other points go into war machines (2x grudge thrower, 1-2x cannon, 1 organ gun), and occasionally a unit of slayers - purely for flavor.

The beauty of that list is that after only one or two rounds of shooting from the war machines the normal clansmen with their strength 5 attacks are near unstoppable (the hammerers are there to block deathstars and the like).

This only works since all 3 (4 if i use less warmachines but slayers instead) units can seriously dish it out while still being hard to shift.

This doesn't work with chaos dwarfs since they're only strength 4 and more expensive by a long shot (more expensive characters, more expensive but less strength core, less magic defense, less accurate artillery).

So, i don't think this really works (will find out at the weekend :) ).

I guess a chaos dwarf army which plays to it's strengths will use 40-50 strong units of hobgoblins as roadblocks (around 200 pts per block), and hellcannons (yes, plural) as blocker/killer/flankers.

Hobgoblins are correctly priced. Magma cannons, deathshriekers and hellcannons, too. The K'daii destroyer is ok, but ultimately a single deep strike unit could easily get into trouble.

What's really not ok points (and rules) wise are infernals, ironsworn, bull centaurs, characters, iron demons, dreadquake mortars.

To elaborate a bit on the characters: Castellans are only worth their points if we can use their "stubborn" trait to it's fullest advantage - but since we need overpriced units for that....

...i'd rather have non-stubborn castellans but stubborn ironsworn.

The only trick i see is multiple castellans running around on their own, tying up enemy formations with defensive gear.

(And our extremely expensive lvl4 caster is no help on the points front, either: Too expensive for a caster, not enough hitting power for a HtH monster. And no reasonable item combination to push either role: earthing rod or healing potion is a given, ward save, too. That doesn't leave enough points allowance or item slots to make him either a great caster or a great HtH character. And demon smiths lend themselves to the artillery approach better anyways).

Baggronor:

This doesn't work with chaos dwarfs since they're only strength 4 and more expensive by a long shot (more expensive characters, more expensive but less strength core, less magic defense, less accurate artillery).

So, i don't think this really works (will find out at the weekend ).

I guess a chaos dwarf army which plays to it's strengths will use 40-50 strong units of hobgoblins as roadblocks (around 200 pts per block), and hellcannons (yes, plural) as blocker/killer/flankers.
Yeah, true.

I'm looking at one big block of IG, and 2 bigger blocks of Hobgoblins as my Core. Need the book before I can make any real decisions though.
(And our extremely expensive lvl4 caster is no help on the points front, either: Too expensive for a caster, not enough hitting power for a HtH monster. And no reasonable item combination to push either role: earthing rod or healing potion is a given, ward save, too. That doesn't leave enough points allowance or item slots to make him either a great caster or a great HtH character. And demon smiths lend themselves to the artillery approach better anyways).
Despite not having the book yet, I'm considering just having a Castellan BSB and 2 lvl2s for my characters. The Sorcerer Prophet is cool, but he seems to have the same problem as Hybrid Vampire Lords - very expensive and master of no trades.

Zhorn:

I'm looking at one big block of IG, and 2 bigger blocks of Hobgoblins as my Core. Need the book before I can make any real decisions though.

Baggronor
That's my starting point, too. But still, when i think about one of my regular opponents who plays a "tame" empire army (without Stank, Walter, and lvl4) with 2x50 hatred fueled halbardiers, and 30 strong flagellants and greatswords backed up by artillery/shooting and multiple intervening 5-man knights - 1xIG and 2xHG are not gonna do it. (Mortars vs. the HG units, halbardiers vs. IG, cannons vs. own artillery and knights to be a nuisance everywhere. Detachments to divert.)

On your character front: I agree. I'm playing around with a 4th character: A hobgoblin hero on wolf, leading wolfriders to rear-charge and break support units, like crossbowmen, artillery, detachments.

Maybe even just a small IG unit (maybe even with greatweapons) and another castellan, who can hold up most regiments of the non-death star variety all by himself (180 pts buy a well equipped castellan, but only 12-15 IG depending on equipment).

So: Mass Artillery to kill anything in sight, hobgoblins to slow and castellans to stop. Only one hellcannon (since i like my friends :P ) and a K'daii to kill what the artillery missed. Around 120-140 models on the table and win or loose by the hotness of the artillery dice.