[Archive] Is this true!?

Lord maklai:

Oooooh Tommy has spoken therefore it is !
All Hail Thommy! Let those that oppose us DIE!

....but seriously folks!

Show that manager the back of the 7th edition book where it lists the Chaos Dwarf army stats and then open your wallet, take out $400 and tell him that he's just lost himself a customer. Then put the money back and storm out.

Tarrakk Blackhand
This would be a brilliant idea but i'm british and i don't have that much money *sniffle*

Bolg:

And as you exit the shop shout that you’ll now spend your money on ebay (buying GW shit)!!

BilboBaggins:

I play Chaos Dwarfs in a GW store in the US. The manager/staff has never told me that I cannot play them. I have the original Ravening Hordes book and print out of the PDF with me. Some GW’s will allow you to play the Indy GT list in the store, but I still use the older Ravening Hordes list.

The ones who give me a problem are the tournament/power gamers, they refuse to play me because they claim the list isn’t legal. I remind them that only GW disallowed them in GW run tournaments, not from the game itself. Also there are tournaments that still allow them, but they shrug off the facts. Heck a few that still allow my beloved Slayer Army, and I have the FAQ that states the SOC armies would remain tournament legal after the end of Storm of Chaos.

Thommy H:

Show that manager the back of the 7th edition book where it lists the Chaos Dwarf army stats and then open your wallet, take out $400 and tell him that he's just lost himself a customer. Then put the money back and storm out.
Except that they don't sell them. So yeah. I'm not saying GW should ban OOP models from their events and stores altogether - that's silly - but I think they have a point to say you can't play with a whole range that isn't supported any more.

BilboBaggins:

My thoughts.

1. Is there rules? Yes

2. Can players convert models to use in the army? Yes

3. Is the game supposed to be fun? Yes

Bolg:

Except that they don't sell them.

Thommy H
But they do. (or is the hellcannon gone OOP too?)

Bassman:

The big problem is intelligent people and non intelligent people.

Stupid guy would say: no you cannot play Chaos Dwarfs in my shop because if a kid ask me about them I cannot sell them. Let’s play Space marines instead…

Smart guy: well, you can play, it’s a GW game and you have GW miniatures. If someone ask me/you about them I tell you are fielding oop miniatures BUT being a smart guy I’d introduce him to the wonders of the hobby and the possibility to buy last 3-4 boxes of Battle Skull Set, colors, a dwarf battalion, a couple of marauders and chaos warriors sets. A little bit of more work to do but a great reward for your client and the shop manager’s pocket. :wink:

Said this I never had problems in Italy to play Chaos Dwarfs in a GW shop or somewhere else. :hashut

Thommy H:

Remember: I have absolutely no opinion whatsoever on what you do with your game with your friends. But GW not only has the right to determine what figures and rules are used in their own stores and at their own events, but in this instance they have a pretty good point.

I don’t believe in “game legality”. I think your Warhammer is whatever you want it to be. I mean, I have 4,000 points of Chaos Dwarfs that I play with using rules I wrote. My Dark Angels army is picked using a hybrid of the Dark Angels and Space Marine Codexes. I play in my home against my fiancée and we adapt the game(s) to serve our purposes. I’m not a stickler. The game is a context in which to collect and paint my toys - nothing more.

But if you’re someone who defines “legality” as “what GW allows in their tournaments”, then Chaos Dwarfs aren’t legal. And, if you’re someone who puts stock in that kind of thing, I guess you should stop playing with them. But none of us feel that way, or we wouldn’t be here. So let’s not start flinging accusations around and acting all defensive, because we’re actually all on the same page.

cornixt:

....the guy i talked to WAS the manager.......yeah....

Lord maklai
That's why I put in 'regional manager'. Some managers are pretty much just cashiers who have been on a training course.

Does your army consist of, or will consist of converted models? It would be stupid of them to stop someone from playing and buying models in that store on the basis of them not buying a single army book. But I wouldn't put it past some people to be stupid.

Lord maklai:

I am going to scratchbuild ALL my models, mostly:P

Grimstonefire:

You’ll just have to do what I did for years, play as dwarfs against anyone that really complains.

Swissdictator:

Pretty much all the tournaments around here allow them, and the local GW shop is completely fine with me using them. They did ask for a copy of the RH print out, which I happily provided.

I went through all three rounds of 'ard Boyz with Chaos Dwarfs… and I only partook in 'ardboyz because they allowed CD and because I was 100 or so miles from the finals location. I’m hoping to make it to Adepticon (probably using the Indy GT list).

The manager, via your posts, does seem a bit rude about it. It’s one thing to say they’re not allowed in his store. To say anywhere? That seems a bit presumptuous. Plus, yes… you can use Dwarf rules… but you could just as easily use Empire (why, I don’t know) or WoC (with right base sizes) rules if you really wanted.

Kera foehunter:

Oooooh Tommy has spoken therefore it is !
All Hail Thommy! Let those that oppose us DIE!

....but seriously folks!

Tarrakk Blackhand
This would be a brilliant idea but i'm british and i don't have that much money *sniffle*

Lord maklai
lol like that will ever work !! if they wanted your money they make the stuff affordable ??
but i play my army the point people will play you
all you have to say are you afraid a girl will beat you !!
that work for me :hat off

wallacer:

I can’t recall anybody either at a tournament or elsewhere objecting to Chaos Dwarfs being fielded.

Most people seem to like playing against something different.

I guess that may not be true from place to place though. It probably also helps that I play mostly against older gamers (many of whom actually remember Chaos Dwarfs).

BilboBaggins:

I tend to play against younger players. They love when somebody brings out an older painted army to play.

speedygogo:

I don’t know, I ranted on this a while back. Several tournaments in Arkansas, NM and Tenessee will not allow chaos dwarf armies as a result the GW verdict. Other than a pick up game no one will play Chaos dwarfs in NM. GW’s ruling effectively nerfed the army in the mid-west US.

Gar Shadowfame:

In Poland since January Indy GT CD are tournament legal since our league added them to our “balancing patch” about different rule sets, if someone plays within wery limited circle one can do whatever he’she wants.

But from tournament perspective a competition needs a convention of rules that are same for every player, thats why (aside marketing aspects) GW strongly objects against using any modification on events they organise.

Other thing is that i havent seen not messed up army book since, hmm 6th edition with armies being or weak and non tourney playable ( or playable in 1 standard army list with no possible alterations) or armies soo overpowered it not fun to play against it.

Thommy H:

I don't know, I ranted on this a while back.  Several tournaments in Arkansas, NM and Tenessee will not allow chaos dwarf armies as a result the GW verdict.  Other than a pick up game no one will play Chaos dwarfs in NM.  GW's ruling effectively nerfed the army in the mid-west US.

speedygogo
Yeah, if you only play against people who think that tournament legal = all games ever legal. I don't think people should be giving GW grief for their opponents lacking the imagination to try something different.

BilboBaggins:

I don't know, I ranted on this a while back.  Several tournaments in Arkansas, NM and Tenessee will not allow chaos dwarf armies as a result the GW verdict.  Other than a pick up game no one will play Chaos dwarfs in NM.  GW's ruling effectively nerfed the army in the mid-west US.

speedygogo
Yeah, if you only play against people who think that tournament legal = all games ever legal. I don't think people should be giving GW grief for their opponents lacking the imagination to try something different.

Thommy H
I just wish the redshirts would explain to these types (I know a few myself) that game is supposed to be for fun not just tournaments.

Thommy H:

But that’s not the reason they ban them in GW stores - because they’re obsessed with tournament-style games - it’s because they don’t want to advertise something they don’t sell.

GW stores and events disallow Chaos Dwarfs because they don’t want to be appearing to support an army they can’t.

Stupid players disallow Chaos Dwarfs because they think tourney legal = all game legal.

So there’s really two different things going on. GW’s policy makes perfect sense, considering the purpose of having events and stores is to sell their stuff, but the competition-obsessed gamers are morons. Don’t play morons, and don’t play at GW stores/events and you’ll have no problem using your Chaos Dwarfs.