[Archive] Is this true!?

Thorne:

Don't play morons, and don't play at GW stores/events and you'll have no problem using your Chaos Dwarfs.

Thommy H
Aint that the truth !

Lord maklai:

The thing is it’s not just GW not letting you play with something they don’t sell in their stores, but no one else sells it either! If you can get the rules, and make the models then it should be perfectly legal!

Thommy H:

You can’t get the rules. Not legally anyway. You know when you google “Chaos Dwarfs Ravening Hordes” and then click the first link to view the pdf? Yeah, that’s being hosted illegally. You can’t exactly count that as “available”.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Don't play morons, and don't play at GW stores/events and you'll have no problem using your Chaos Dwarfs.
You nailed it perfectly there Thommy! People can play them at my store - Monster Hobbies.

Swissdictator:

Well if the people in my area went by “tournament legal = all games legal” you’d NEVER see a special character as tournaments around here don’t allow them.

Though most groups tend to… frown on special characters.

Though the local GW ship is letting my play 6E VC… simply because I enjoy the book.

Thommy H:

Though most groups tend to... frown on special characters.
Which is dumb, since the vast majority of current armies rely on special characters to unlock variants. Plus they're part of the main army list. It's not even clear where the line between "special character" and "regular character" is in some cases. Why would you ban Belial, for example, when he's just a Captain in Terminator armour who lets you use Deathwing as troops?

[off-topic rant]

Also, I object to this idea that special characters are somehow more "unlikely" than a generic character. Last time I checked, there was still one of each individual in the Warhammer World/40K Galaxy - doesn't matter if it's Archaon the Everchosen or Bob The Chaos Lord; there's still only one of each. You're no more or less likely to run into a character with a name in the book than you are a character named by the player. With Space Marines it's especially egregious - there's only one Master of the 5th Company in the Dark Angels, so isn't mine just as unique a character as Belial or Azrael? It's just that they got given a name by GW instead of me.

[/off-topic rant]

Bolg:

I played at a Grand tournament in NL 2 years ago, special characters were legel and one bloke had a empire army with 4 special characters, all of his 6 opponents didnt enjoy that battle. and as i’ve been playing warhammer since the 4rd edition and faced legends like Nagash and the like I’m all for banning them. play them in a friendly game if your opponent agrees but no more…

Thommy H:

Right - so if I show up with my Dark Angels, what happens then? Because without Belial, my army isn’t even a little bit legal.

Gar Shadowfame:

if its not legal, rules wise the you woundt be able to play

and

You can’t get the rules. Not legally anyway. You know when you google “Chaos Dwarfs Ravening Hordes” and then click the first link to view the pdf? Yeah, that’s being hosted illegally. You can’t exactly count that as “available”.
remember that ur countrys law, is not the world law. If server physicaly lies somewhere where hosting data is not illegal. Then it is legal. It is internet, cope or perish.

BilboBaggins:

Actually there is no mention of the transfer of pdfs downloaded from a GW site other then you cannot sell them. You cannot duplicate/scan printed materials but if they have already publicly released it for free download for all they cannot go after you for giving a copy of the pdf to a friend. If you have noticed they don’t even put a legal disclaimer up on each download.

Bolg:

Right - so if I show up with my Dark Angels, what happens then? Because without Belial, my army isn't even a little bit legal.

Thommy H
That's 40k completely different rules, you may filed your mother in your army for all I care (: I was talking ofcourse about fantasy, and In fantasy I really hate them and find them unbalancing. (the do result in cool models sometimes though).

Thommy H:

You can't get the rules. Not legally anyway. You know when you google "Chaos Dwarfs Ravening Hordes" and then click the first link to view the pdf? Yeah, that's being hosted illegally. You can't exactly count that as "available".
remember that ur countrys law, is not the world law. If server physicaly lies somewhere where hosting data is not illegal. Then it is legal. It is internet, cope or perish.

Gar Shadowfame
Um...yes...but the PDF is GW's property. If they no longer host it then, by definition, anyone else hosting it is doing so illegally. I'm not saying they're going to go to jail or anything, or that I care in the slightest either way, the point is that GW don't have it available any more so anyone saying "well you can get the rules!" has to add the caveat "from somewhere that isn't really supposed to have it and would probably get a cease and desist letter from GW if they found out".

Remember that we don't host it here precisely because it's a breach of IP law. Anyone else hosting it is breaching the same laws. The fairness or enforceability of those laws is besides the point - GW believes they apply (they're the ones sending the letters...) so GW would, naturally, apply that same standards at their stores and events.

It would be like turning up to Sony HQ with a disc of burned music. Yeah, we know they're assholes for even caring, but you can't argue with their right to throw you out of the building.

BilboBaggins:

As soon as you post something for free download on the net you can never really take it back.

Lord maklai:

Ok so again what do you guys do? How can you play chaos dwarves in a gamestore if the rules aren’t legal?

BilboBaggins:

Well you send a message to a hobbit librarian. :smiley: You send a PM pleading that you need the files and your email address and if you are worthy you get a copy emailed to you.

cornixt:

How can you play chaos dwarves in a gamestore if the rules aren't legal?

Lord maklai
The rules are legal, depending on your definition of legal. If you are in the US, then they were allowed at the only GW US tournament of last year, which seems to fit most people's definitions for what is legal or not. Even if you aren't in the US then that is good persuasion information for anyone who thinks that they aren't legal.

That is not forgetting that the GW website said at the beginning of 7th ed that they were still legal for that edition, and they are in the back of the current rulebook.

So what makes them illegal?

Bassman:

Ok so again what do you guys do? How can you play chaos dwarves in a gamestore if the rules aren't legal?

Lord maklai
If we are not talikn about tournaments but just playing in one GW shop, you just have to talk to the manager, politely and openly. Tell him you re going to play a GW army belonging to a GW game. You re not going to use non-GW miniatures and try to prove him the avantage to show everyone the beauties and the variety of the incredible Warhammer world that make it so great and fun for everybody of us and, not less important, that provide GW with great incomes ;)
If they do not allow you to play after a nice and polite chat this only prove how limited minded they are.
You have to play only to have fun, not to fight against a GW shop manager.... let try to find a more friendly game group and lay somewhere else. :hashut

BilboBaggins:

Actually the gaming group that formed when they thought the GW store was just going to close and not more is less likely to allow me to play my armies than the local GW store. They are the tournament/power gamers.

Bolg:

I wouldnt join a game group full of power gamers. I rather travel to meet interesting players at the game table. luckily I found a nice group of gamers her in Utrecht, there are some power gamers but I just avoid them and only meet them sometimes in local tournaments.

Before I came here (tis forum) I actually never heard of of groups or stores not allowing CD’s But we only have a hand full of GW stores here in NL annyways and all the city’s that have GW stores have independent game-stores to, so even if GW was stupid enough to ban its own models from the store you would still be able to play anywhere.

Auretious Taak:

They are not currently officially supported by GW, and although they still have a valid rule set (although you will have to get that off the internet too), you can no longer buy the models new and most players who began playing after 2001 won't have come across them.

As a result they cannot be used at offical GW tournaments. In non GW tournaments and GW shops you will need to check with the tournament organiser/shop manager i you can use them or not.

At clubs and Indy stores you should be fine.

Neil
The worse thing about this is when the manager and every staff member has no idea that the Chaos Dwarfs actually exist as a valid arm list...may be in the background and all of several army books but not ever on the board...