[Archive] Island of Blood models

AGPO:

The good news as far as I’m concerned is that the high elf command models should be relatively easy to convert into rank and file, so unlike BfSP you can easily use these guys to expand your units.

Hashut’s Blessing:

How many people are planning to get this and trade off all/most of the models just for the smaller rulebook? :smiley: I certainly am. For an extra £10, I get all of those models and I’d rather have those than fluff that I already know fairly well :stuck_out_tongue:

Thommy H:

I have no idea why anyone wouldn’t want the additional content in the full size version - it really is a pretty nice piece of work.

slev:

Tommy: I think if they cost the same, people would go for the big book.

A lot of experienced players resent having to buy the non-rules content, as they already have the knowledge about the other stuff.

This is, actually, sales psychology.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Thommy H: I’d rather have the extra content, but I’m still more than a little unemployed (meaning completely, of course :smiley: ) and so am trying to scrimp and scrape together for one or t’other and I’d rather have the necessity of rules (in a less cumbersome format and easier to find particular rules) with some models (whether I sell them or what) and a bunch of extra gaming tools and the starter booklet to help my girlfriend ease into a little better than to have all of the extra fluff and stuff, which I know the gist of largely anyhow, having played for a decade or more.

wallacer:

The background stuff in the new book is very nice. The only thing that bothers me is that it makes the book more cumbersome.

GRNDL:

The background stuff in the new book is very nice.  The only thing that bothers me is that it makes the book more cumbersome.

wallacer
I have declared that book UNREADABLE without prosthetic supports, a lectern or a table, or a pile of slaves to support it. No rulebook should weigh, what, 10 lbs???  Bring on the smaller book...

zobo1942:

I like the big book (picked it up on Sunday). I’m looking forward to spending MANY hours reading it.

One thing I didn’t like was all the recycled art. Sure, it’s nice work, but if you’ve seen it before, it’s not as exciting. Ditto with a lot if the ‘single’ miniature pictures - I’ve seen most of them before. Also the fact that the book was off-gassing so much when I took the wrapper off was a bit harsh. Longer drying time, guys! Some of the pages were actually stuck together! No jokes about that one, please…

Still - nice to look at. Now, to read the dang thing!

AGPO:

I think for a lot of players like me and HB it comes down to money. When you have to decide between the new BRB and the starter set then it comes down to a choice between the background stuff (which we know already) or the core of two new armies/expanding your current force. Yes if I had the cahs I’d get both, but for now I’ll take 74 new minis over old fluff any day.

Willmark:

The background stuff in the new book is very nice.  The only thing that bothers me is that it makes the book more cumbersome.

wallacer
I have declared that book UNREADABLE without prosthetic supports, a lectern or a table, or a pile of slaves to support it. No rulebook should weight, what, 10 lbs???  Bring on the smaller book...

GRNDL
Its useful for whacking pesky kids who pick up your minis without asking at stores...

Fallen246:

Anyone looking to buy the set for the starter book, my brother (through me) would be most interested in getting your high elves off you, in particular the Seaguard and Swordmasters.

Trades or purchases an option. That is all.

Actually no it’s not, I feel I should add that I personally intend to get both the big book and the starter set. It’s half top support a company, half to fulfill my Obsessive Compulsive-ness…

Gar Shadowfame:

The big book is big, ful of colorfull pic, fluff etc to make it look its worth its price its a marketing, same as releasing starter box after ppl buy rulebook. GW can do it to earn money, and they are doing it, on the contrary i have pdf file with rules since i can do that and i dont have to worry about their marketting.

Thommy H:

GW can do it to earn money
Those monsters.

The big rulebook is actually more than worth it's price, by the way. But yeah, I can see why maybe people would take the models over the fluff if it's one or the other. It's just all the people raving about the little book as if the big version is inherently a rip-off: it isn't at all, but if you don't have the money for it then fair enough. Just take it from me that an illustrated 500-page book in full-colour normally costs a lot more than £45!

elrodogg:

I love having a BRB to use at home (have a table in my apt), but when I go to my local gaming club or tournaments, I aint shlepping that book around. That’s when having a mini book comes in handy.

Gar Shadowfame:

Just take it from me that an illustrated 500-page book in full-colour normally costs a lot more than £45!
you do know that printing costs less than 2£, then lets add distribution, another 2£.

41£ for book with reprinted illustrations with only descriptions changed under them (check vampires section).

41£ for rules that need errata or FAQ evry 2 months, u gotta be kidding,

GW writes worse and worse pruducts with every book they publish, they didnt even PLAYTEST this edition, is it too expensive?
These guys are morons if they think that writing rules out of their heads is enough, and it seems this is what they did.

I preffer my illegal pdf, especialy that by owning 1 o dont breake any law, if i ever "reproduce" this coppy then i might suffer from moral fiber, but i dont have to do that.

cornixt:

Printing a full colour book of that size probably costs closer to £10, even for a large production run. I doubt GW ever breaks even on any of the rule/army books it sells compared to the man-hours put in, let alone actually profits. If you don’t think it is worth it then that’s fair enough, but I think you are going way over the top in trying to say it is a rip-off (and no I have not bought it either)

Gar Shadowfame:

I am sure they are never even, i am sure they have profit.

It is a rip of, read again what i wrote,

no playtesting

neverending FAQ

old material

Thommy H:

I preffer my illegal pdf, especialy that by owning 1 o dont breake any law, if i ever "reproduce" this coppy then i might suffer from moral fiber, but i dont have to do that.
Actually, you are breaking the law. It's a popular myth that you have to be making money from something to violate copyright. Now, I don't care either way - I have a lot of music I didn't pay for on my hard drive, for example - but if you make a point of saying you're not breaking the law then you deserve to be informed that you are. And, clearly, you have nothing but contempt for GW - not only because you steal their products, but you also disparage them in virtually the same breath.

So why, exactly, are you still playing their games at all?
I am sure they are never even, i am sure they have profit.
Companies are supposed to do that. It's kind of the idea.

Gar Shadowfame:

hah but i dont live in ur country, in Poland you are only breaking the law if u reproduce, owning is not illegal.

Companies make money, and consumers do what they can to avoid spending money, if they sell crap i will lawfuly avoid paying for it.

If the GW goes out of business i am sure some fans will buy the copyrights, ad probably the game will gain from turn of events like that.

Contemp, i’d say a disgust, WFB used to be better in 6th edition, but now GW fails expectations lots of people. from hobby oriend firm they turned into moneygrabbing giant, profit>quality

Thommy H:

Then why are you still playing their games? Why are you posting on a forum about Warhammer? Why spend time talking about something you hate? I’m not trying to prove a point here, I genuinely want to know. If you’re this hostile towards their products, don’t you think you’d be happier if you just did something better with your time? I don’t spend hours discussing Twilight, for example.